View Full Version : Not sure if I'm seeing the correct doctor

toomanyquestion
05-15-17, 12:26 PM
I've always had the suspicion that I've had ADHD. On my last visit to my primary care I brought up my concerns and she agreed that there does seem to be an issue either depression or ADHD (although from what I've read online the issue can sometimes be both) and that their office would prescribe me medication. She gave me a referral to a psychologist's office and I have been to 2 sessions over the past two weeks.

The problem is I got assigned to a social worker, while she is very nice, I don't think she seems qualified to resolve my issues. Pretty much everything she said while being helpful is nothing I couldn't find myself on the internet. She has said nothing about prescribing medication despite me having all the textbook symptoms of ADHD (I think I have some depression too caused by the ADHD). I really wanted to resolve this issue over the summer in time for my next semester and the summer class I'll be taking in July. I'm working on 2 degrees at 2 different colleges (Business Administration and Chemical Engineering) at the moment and I've switched majors 6 times, I really can't afford to drop out or change majors again.

I'm terrified to ask about medication though because of the horrible stigma attached to drug addiction. I have never taken recreationally or been prescribed any controlled substances but I still have the fear that even though I need medication asking for it will make it so they won't give it to me. Also I've read that I should be seeing a psychiatrist for ADHD and not a social worker. Anyone have recommendations ? I'm really frustrated with the situation and just want to resolve my issues, thanks

aur462
05-15-17, 08:30 PM
I'm terrified to ask about medication though because of the horrible stigma attached to drug addiction. I have never taken recreationally or been prescribed any controlled substances but I still have the fear that even though I need medication asking for it will make it so they won't give it to me. Also I've read that I should be seeing a psychiatrist for ADHD and not a social worker. Anyone have recommendations ? I'm really frustrated with the situation and just want to resolve my issues, thanks

I strongly advise getting over your fear of medicine stigma. It's a means to a productive end. Your social worker sounds limited at best. If she's not providing anything better than what you'd accomplish with self-help - you'll be the judge of that - don't waste your time. With your workload and the principle of being your best in mind, I'd find a psychiatrist, perhaps one that specializes in ADHD. The psychiatrist will judge whether you have ADHD and unless he's unusual, he'll offer to prescribe. Medicine is usually pivotal for serious ADHD and often/usually moderate cases, especially if you've got a rigorous regimen. Also, if you have depression that's secondary to ADHD (and perhaps if it's not as stims can be used off label for depression), treating ADHD will improve the depression.

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 03:10 AM
Have you asked your primary why she has you seeing a social worker?

toomanyquestion
05-16-17, 12:35 PM
aur462 - Yes I wanted to give it a few weeks but it seems like this is getting no where. From what I've read everywhere these problems do not go away over night and I wanted to make sure I'm in a better place for my next semester. From what I've read giving ADHD tests seems pretty standard but there has been no talk of that, or anything about depression either even after I told her I had anxiety attacks so bad that I missed classes and quizzes last semester.

sarah - My primary is very knowledgeable but shes very quick and every visit is "in and out" I'm fairly certain she said I should see a social worker, but I could have been mistaken. She didn't refer me to a specific person, just someone in the practice who then found me a psychiatric office covered by my insurance and that office assigned me a social worker, which seems like a pretty poor choice. I will ask my primary to see if some sort of mistake was made.

toomanyquestion
06-24-17, 08:01 PM
So after talking to my primary there was a mix up (she had another doctor at the practice give me a list of doctors to call and she was supposed to send me to someone who could prescribe). After calling 6 places multiple times I finally got into seeing somebody (albeit in the worst area of the worst city in my area where people are stabbed fairly often). She kept throwing anti-depressants at me which had negative side effects and finally yesterday prescribed me Concerta 18mg. I'm a big guy and I knew before hand a small dose wouldn't do anything and while it helped some a tiny bit I'm going to need a higher dose to see if it actually does anything or not. She gave me 30 days worth and unfortunately the practice will be closed for a few weeks due to the 4th my next appointment isn't till almost a month. I'm debating on calling her to ask if its ok to take 2, although I'll run out fast. She had wanted me to get testing but we can't seem to find anywhere that is available. One place promised me they would call me back in a week 2 weeks ago (she has contacted them multiple times too).

Pilgrim
06-24-17, 08:26 PM
Beginning and continuing medication is an involved process. It's wise that you were started on a ' relatively ' low dose. Weight, age , sex aren't dependent on this.

The question to ask yourself now is which is the best type of medication. It's a testing sequence that you have to go through. After this you have to find the right dose.

I'm not a doctor but if your system isn't accustomed to Stimulints it's hard on the system.