View Full Version : Opinions on adderall vs oth add medication

DaveB27
05-16-17, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type. My dr and I have a good relationship and she asked me what meds I wanted. I asked for adderall and she has started me on a very small dose for 2 weeks to get started figuring out what my dosage will end up at.

I am hoping to get some people's opinion on different medications. I understand these are just opinions of course, but would like to hear others' experiences.

Specifically, which medication do you feel helped you the most with increasing motivation? I have a very hard time getting up the motivation to complete tasks, and feel it has negatively impacted me substantially.

Thanks,

Dave

sarahsweets
05-17-17, 03:48 AM
Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type. My dr and I have a good relationship and she asked me what meds I wanted. I asked for adderall and she has started me on a very small dose for 2 weeks to get started figuring out what my dosage will end up at.

I am hoping to get some people's opinion on different medications. I understand these are just opinions of course, but would like to hear others' experiences.

Specifically, which medication do you feel helped you the most with increasing motivation? I have a very hard time getting up the motivation to complete tasks, and feel it has negatively impacted me substantially.

Thanks,

Dave

IME the motivation sort of comes from me, and the focus and ability to finish and complete things is what the medication helps with. There is a member her named Cylla who has a lot of information on something she calls " task inititation" it might be worth looking at that. I am not as familiar with it as she is. I know that I was always told :"pills dont teach skills" which is an annoying phrase but not so far from the truth.
I have always taken amphetamines long term. I have tried other non-amphetamines but the side effects were bad.

DaveB27
05-17-17, 02:48 PM
IME the motivation sort of comes from me, and the focus and ability to finish and complete things is what the medication helps with. There is a member her named Cylla who has a lot of information on something she calls " task inititation" it might be worth looking at that. I am not as familiar with it as she is. I know that I was always told :"pills dont teach skills" which is an annoying phrase but not so far from the truth.
I have always taken amphetamines long term. I have tried other non-amphetamines but the side effects were bad.

Thanks for the feedback. I think when I first got diagnosed with ADD I was happy because I thought - great I'll be able to take some kind of medication to get me through my crushing lack of motivation. The more I look into it though, the more it seems motivation isn't something the pills magically fix.

I'm on my third day with 10MG adderall XR and feel nothing. No side effects either as I'm still eating normal sized meals. Little bit of caffeine withdrawal as I normally take 6 cups of coffee and Dr told me to quit cold turkey if taking this medication. 10mg probably isn't enough for a 6'1 217lb guy I suppose.

sarahsweets
05-18-17, 02:39 AM
I'm on my third day with 10MG adderall XR and feel nothing. No side effects either as I'm still eating normal sized meals. Little bit of caffeine withdrawal as I normally take 6 cups of coffee and Dr told me to quit cold turkey if taking this medication. 10mg probably isn't enough for a 6'1 217lb guy I suppose.

Wow, cold turkey?? Caffeine can be bothersome to people who take stimulants but its something you have to feel out. Personally I would have weaned off the caffeine if need be, not cut it out completely.
Weight and all that has nothing to do with dosage. A 10 year old can do great on 30mg and a 40 year old can do great on 20mg, it depends on your body. Have you only been on it three days? Low and slow is the best way to start but it does seem like you need to consider an increase. When is your next appt?

DaveB27
05-18-17, 05:10 PM
Wow, cold turkey?? Caffeine can be bothersome to people who take stimulants but its something you have to feel out. Personally I would have weaned off the caffeine if need be, not cut it out completely.
Weight and all that has nothing to do with dosage. A 10 year old can do great on 30mg and a 40 year old can do great on 20mg, it depends on your body. Have you only been on it three days? Low and slow is the best way to start but it does seem like you need to consider an increase. When is your next appt?

Hey Sarah - today is day number 4 I think. She gave me enough for first week at 10 mg and told me to bump it to 20mg second week. I cheated today and took two because I was curious if I'd feel something. Still feel nothing on 20mg. I'm going to go back to 10 and then swap to 20 and finish it out. I have an appointment to see her in a week and a half. Probably too early to give up on adderall just yet, but already thinking it might be the wrong treatment for me.

Appreciate your feedback, I thought size would be a big factor in dose. Go figure.

sarahsweets
05-19-17, 04:04 AM
Hey Sarah - today is day number 4 I think. She gave me enough for first week at 10 mg and told me to bump it to 20mg second week. I cheated today and took two because I was curious if I'd feel something. Still feel nothing on 20mg. I'm going to go back to 10 and then swap to 20 and finish it out. I have an appointment to see her in a week and a half. Probably too early to give up on adderall just yet, but already thinking it might be the wrong treatment for me.

Appreciate your feedback, I thought size would be a big factor in dose. Go figure.

Might not be the wrong med but wrong dose. For an FYI, I take adderall xr 20mg three times a day. Adderall IR never worked for me and the xr doesnt last more than 4 hours so I take it three times a day.

HarrisonBX
05-24-17, 01:47 PM
I have been taking various medications for add for 25 years and I will list what I have taken and how well it works. (Daily dosages not included, since those have varied. Comments are about effectiveness overall for me.)

Desoxyn 15mg gradumet The very best. No longer available, unfortunately

Desoxyn 5mg Expensive works ok, but quick up and down requiring taking them frequently during the day and a rough ride unless you only need couple a day.

Ritalin 20mg Terrible Could not understand how this worked for anyone. Felt worse than taking nothing.

Straterra ? Did nothing. Only tried it on the condition that I would still have adderall to fall back on. Never finished the quantity prescribed.

Vyvanse 75mg Works well, expensive Long onset time. I would consider it if not for the expense and the dosage I would probably need. My guess is that one 75mg Vyvanse is equivalent to one 30mg adderall in effectiveness for me, but haven't been able to compare carefully enough.

Adderall 30mg,20mg Instant release. Expensive works fine, but haven't used much due to cost.

Generic adderall:

Teva 30mg Absolute best of the generics and as effective as brand name as far as I can tell. Seems difficult to find in my area since about 2 months ago. Most pharmacies seem to be carrying cheaper generics.

IMPA 30mg Absolutely terrible and at best, better than nothing. Harsh, speedy effect like drinking too much coffee, any positive effects wear off quickly and leaves me feeling restless and blah. Not recommended unless you want to take a chance on being worse off than taking nothing.

Auro 30mg Unknown just received these today after a couple of momths of complaining to the pharmacy about the IMPAs I have been getting since they stopped carrying the Teva. I was "assured" these were a better quality product, but I will report back once I have taken them for a few days.