View Full Version : Medication Worries. Anxiety or Bad Reactions?

freshiee
05-17-17, 10:30 AM
Hi guys,
I've lurked these forums for quite some time and I'd like to thank all the active members who have indirectly helped me get diagnosed with ADHD and helped me with some issues I had throughout my journey. I got diagnosed about 6 months ago now, when I was 18, thanks to replies on other peoples posts.
I had all the symptoms of not only ADHD but also anxiety and depression and while so blatantly obvious, it took a long time to truly believe I didn't get misdiagnosed. I always thought I just had depression and my anxiety was a misdiagnosis, but with each passing day, I realise how wrong I was in thinking it was a misdiagnosis!...Anyways, I'm making this more of a introduction post than what my true question is haha. (But hello, I hope to get to know some of you guys, share my own experiences and become more of an active member, rather than a lurker...Now to my real question lol

I got prescribed dexamphetamine and I've been taking dex for about 6 months now and throughout the 6 months i've had an annoyingly inconsistent, stressful experience.
Going into the meds, I was pretty anxious about them and I think...I *know* my anxiety towards the meds has detrimented my experience with dex severely. I often have chest pains, really elevated heart rates and at one phase frequent panic attacks. I know that 90% of my symptoms are anxiety related/psychosomatic. I've seen a GP about my issues and after tests and reassurance, a lot of my issues have disappeared and/or weakened. But I do have lingering issues and I was hoping someone might be able to help figure out what to do! I'd hate to stop taking dex as it helps my troubled self so much. I hope to get rid of my nuisances, or at least, I'd hope methyphenidate can be an alternative without the issues I face on dexamphetamine. I don't know how to summarise all my issues with clarity so I'll try organising things into dot points.

- So November 2016, I got diagnosed with ADHD, social anxiety and general anxiety. I got prescribed Dexamphetamines and Fluoexetine, but only started taking the Fluoexetine/Lovan in February 2017.

- I initially had no issues with the meds. But I soon started developing palpitations and chest pains. I soon realised the chest pain and uncomfortability was most likely just anxiety. I realised that any substance made me fearful and caused chest pains etc in worry that I would have a bad reaction. I've for the most part tackled this problem now though. But the issue still lingers so I probably haven't tackled it completely lol.

- Til this day, I sometimes feel lightheaded, discomfort, a slightly abnormal heart rate elevation (most likely due to anxiety i assume). I just don't know whether this is 100% due to anxiety or a genuine problem. This has no correlation to the amount I take and occurs usually 30 minutes after consumption.

- Been on dexamphetamine for 6 months and haven't gone to hospital or feinted or anything lol. Am I relatively safe from any issues?

- ~3.5 months after taking dexamphetamine daily , I started taking an antidepressant, Lovan (fluoexetine). I had a temporary phase of elevated anxiety and as such had panic attacks when taking dexamphetamines but only sometimes... Is there a chance Lovan may genuinely have had a bad reaction with dexamphetamine and cause me to feel this discomfort?

- I'd obsessively check my heart rate while on dexamphetamine and make myself more anxious, which would sometimes cause my heart rate to be over 105 bpm. When I'm feeling normal, my heart rate is usually about 93ish while on dex and 83is when I'm not.

- The 5 times I had panic attacks, it was over 110BPM and I thought I was about to have a heart attack or feint or something, and it made my heart rate go even higher.. to over 130/have a panic attack which made me reaaaally think I was going to have a heart attack lol.

- I am however certain my 110BPM and panic attacks were psychomatic, with reasoning explained below

- After having 5 panic attacks within about 2 weeks due to taking dex, I saw my GP and explained my worries. I had a blood test done and an ECG test. All cleared up apparently, with the only abnormality being a slightly high BPM (90bpm).

- I had this ECG test while my dex was basically worn out though. Should I have another test while my dex is still in full effect and see if I have an irregular heart beat or anything?

- 35% of the time i have my meds, I am fine and they work as they should. the other 65% of the time I have laboured breathing, trouble breathing through my nose, nervousness and slight lightheadedness. I assume it's anxiety, but I'm not sure what is causing the anxiety and laboured breathing. It is perhaps psychosomatic, due to panicking from genuine side effects, a lingering "trigger"/fear of dex... I really don't know.

- I at least THINK I have much harder trouble breathing through my nose when I have dexamphetamine. Any potential reasons for this? Anxiety? Allergic reaction? Bad reaction with dex and certain foods? The fact my nose seems to block up means I have to breathe in harder and as such gets me feeling scared. I'm not sure what comes first though, the anxiety or the blocked nose. The trouble breathing concerns me, especially since I don't have chest pains accompanying it so it is at max, just small/medium levels of anxiety i think.

- Do you think I should ask for/Is there an alternative to Dex? Has anyone shared similar experiences to mine and had success with a switch to another ADHD med? I am from Australia and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other med besides Dexamphetamine that is priced with government concessions. I only pay like 6$ for 100 tablets and would hate to spend much more if I don't have to.

- I did the ECG test while my dex was basically worn out. Should I do another one while my dex is still in effect?

My main worry is that continuing my consumption of dexamphetamines may cause severe health issues, especially cardiac. I know that the health warnings on the meds are super precautions but it does make me worry a tad. Now the easy route would be to just not take them, but as I'm sure is the case for many, these meds help me cope with daily tasks so much and to stop would detriment me severely :( And I have been on dex for 6 months now and have avoided ever being in hospital lol, so there's perhaps no danger in continuing them anyways. I assume it's just a matter of learning to not let my past fears and bad experiences while on dex continue to effect my dosages nowadays. I just don't know how.

I've googled the heck out of my concerns for months now but I've never solved my problems so I've resulted in making a thread now.

If anyone can help even just a little bit or give any advice in battling these issues, it'd mean so much to me.
Thank you so much in advance guys.
Regards!

sarahsweets
05-17-17, 11:34 AM
What are you doing to manage your anxiety?

freshiee
05-17-17, 11:50 AM
What are you doing to manage your anxiety?
Thanks for the reply :)

at the moment, nothing. I haven't been given anything besides fluoexetine. My anxiety isn't tremendously debilitating nowadays I would say. I have gotten a grasp of it quite well beyond this dexamphetamine debacle. I only have like 1 or 2 panic attacks a year for about 2-3 years. My psychiatrist said fluoexetine would help with anxiety despite being an antidepressant. I've found that it has helped social anxiety but going off my badder reaction to dexamphetamine, I think it may have worsened my anxiety.

sarahsweets
05-18-17, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply :)

at the moment, nothing. I haven't been given anything besides fluoexetine. My anxiety isn't tremendously debilitating nowadays I would say. I have gotten a grasp of it quite well beyond this dexamphetamine debacle. I only have like 1 or 2 panic attacks a year for about 2-3 years. My psychiatrist said fluoexetine would help with anxiety despite being an antidepressant. I've found that it has helped social anxiety but going off my badder reaction to dexamphetamine, I think it may have worsened my anxiety.

I am not trying to tell you how you should feel or how you do feel but it sounds like your anxiety is actually kinda severe. Panic attacks should not be the gauge for anxiety and how severe it is. Plenty of people have horrible anxiety and no panic attacks. There are some medications that can help and not all of them fall under the benzo class, although those can be really helpful for some people. I cant take benzos anymore because they were becoming an issue for me and I wish I could. I was taking buspar for awhile but weaned off when It didnt seem to be needed anymore. Therapy is a real help but believe it or not deep breathing helps me. I mean deliberate, laying on my back, controlled deep breathing.The more oxygen you can force into the body can help by calming you. I personally would recommend getting your anxiety treated. Amphetamines have been around for 50 years and are safe enough that four year olds can take them. As far as I know there arent any legit stats on the dangers of taking them long term and most of the stuff you will read are from anti-med, ill informed people on the internet.

freshiee
05-19-17, 09:24 AM
I am not trying to tell you how you should feel or how you do feel but it sounds like your anxiety is actually kinda severe. Panic attacks should not be the gauge for anxiety and how severe it is. Plenty of people have horrible anxiety and no panic attacks. There are some medications that can help and not all of them fall under the benzo class, although those can be really helpful for some people. I cant take benzos anymore because they were becoming an issue for me and I wish I could. I was taking buspar for awhile but weaned off when It didnt seem to be needed anymore. Therapy is a real help but believe it or not deep breathing helps me. I mean deliberate, laying on my back, controlled deep breathing.The more oxygen you can force into the body can help by calming you. I personally would recommend getting your anxiety treated. Amphetamines have been around for 50 years and are safe enough that four year olds can take them. As far as I know there arent any legit stats on the dangers of taking them long term and most of the stuff you will read are from anti-med, ill informed people on the internet.

Thanks for the advice!

I decided I'll cough up the expensive cost to visit my psychiatrist and ask for ritalin or vyvanse and see if my experience betters at all. The 100ish$ it'll cost will really hurt my wallet at the time being, but these panics are horrible!

I'll see what he says about anxiety but I'll probably stay away from benzos for now and see if I can fix my issues myself for a few more weeks, due to the physiological dependency gained from benzos etc. Daunting stuff! I'd hate to be dependent like that aged 19. But if it will increase my wellbeing tremendously, then so be it I suppose

freshiee
05-24-17, 06:50 AM
I pray that I get through this and have a purely good experience on the meds.
I haven't ever gone over one day without bad side effects. But the good side effects are just too tempting!
I got switched to Ritalin today. Based on my first dosage, I have a better reaction to it, but I still feel really uncomfortable and anxious on the "comeup".
I haven't been given benzos yet but I'll try over the counter anxiety meds. Can anyone vouch for these or are they just a ripoff that do nothing?

freshiee
05-24-17, 06:51 AM

Have you ever tried over-the-counter anxiety meds? Should I give them a go?