View Full Version : Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate

JoellEwillsaveu
05-18-17, 02:45 AM
I began seeing a psychiatrist to treat my adult ADHD about four months ago. I started out on Vyvanse, and when I decided it wasn't working out for me I suggested Adderall XR. My doctor told me that a major difference between the two is the perceived intensity of the effects: Vyvanse would be very gradual and subtle, while Adderall would be sudden and intense. But to me, it felt the exact opposite. I could actually FEEL the Vyvanse making me alert and focused, but I could never FEEL the Adderall even though it was working (to a much lesser extent than Vyvanse). That was 10mg. I went to 15, then 20, then 30, but they were all the same. I eventually gave up and stopped seeing the psychiatrist (2 months ago).

As I was doing some cleaning I picked up my old prescription bottle to throw out and noticed that it listed "Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate", which caught my eye because I did not expect "Aspartate", it makes me think of sugar placebo pills. So when I googled it, I found out that this is one of the four mixed salts in Adderall. What continues to be odd is that the other 3 aren't listed on my prescription. All that the bottle (and receipt) says is "Adderall XR 30mg" and "Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate" below it.

Is this normal? Or is it possible my Dr prescribed only 1 salt to avoid having to prescribe the real thing? I am skeptical because of its lack of effect on me. If this truly is the case I am outraged because, being uninsured, I paid out of pocket to see the psychiatrist and the medication costs a fortune. But more importantly than that is the issue of my ADHD concerns not being addressed properly. It wouldn't be fair for me not to try a medication that may greatly help me just because she wanted to test me or was too hesitant to prescribe the real thing. And if it is the real thing, well, then I know it does not work for me and I can continue to move on as I was doing so before this doubt fell upon me

namazu
05-18-17, 10:28 AM
As I was doing some cleaning I picked up my old prescription bottle to throw out and noticed that it listed "Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate", which caught my eye because I did not expect "Aspartate", it makes me think of sugar placebo pills. So when I googled it, I found out that this is one of the four mixed salts in Adderall. What continues to be odd is that the other 3 aren't listed on my prescription. All that the bottle (and receipt) says is "Adderall XR 30mg" and "Amphetamine Aspartate Monohydrate" below it.

Is this normal? Or is it possible my Dr prescribed only 1 salt to avoid having to prescribe the real thing? I am skeptical because of its lack of effect on me. If this truly is the case I am outraged because, being uninsured, I paid out of pocket to see the psychiatrist and the medication costs a fortune. But more importantly than that is the issue of my ADHD concerns not being addressed properly. It wouldn't be fair for me not to try a medication that may greatly help me just because she wanted to test me or was too hesitant to prescribe the real thing. And if it is the real thing, well, then I know it does not work for me and I can continue to move on as I was doing so before this doubt fell upon me
As far as I'm aware, there are no manufacturers who even sell amphetamine aspartate by itself, and it's not a "sugar pill" or "aspartame" -- it's an amphetamine salt.

My guess would be that the pharmacy label is simply truncated for lack of space. They could not call it Adderall (or even claim it's a generic for Adderall) on the label if they were only giving you 1 of the 4 component salts.

More commonly, labels might say something like "mixed amphetamine salts" or give a list of abbreviations for all 4 components, but I don't think it's anything to be suspicious about.

You can always call the pharmacy and ask what's up.

But it sounds like Adderall XR may just not be the most helpful medication for you. Incidentally, you can't necessarily judge a medication's effect by how it feels. With ADHD meds, it's much more important to assess how well your symptoms are controlled. Good luck finding something that works well for you.