View Full Version : Social Anxiety gets in my way

Black_Rose1809
05-18-17, 03:29 PM
I'm a very friendly person! If you catch me on a good day, I can talk and converse like a normal person but some days I feel very tired or dislocated that I end up not conversing well. I work as a medical aide at a school and I tried so hard to be friendly to the front office girls, but one of them doesn't seem to like me and rarely talks to me, unless it's work things. Sometimes I feel inadequate because of my ADD, and worry about my intelligence. It took one mistake and after that in my old job I was treated like I was stupid.

I don't want this at this job, I really like it! But sometimes I don't know if it's me that is making feel like it's a bad day or it's really happening. Do you have any tips on how to make friends at work?

ItsaRose
05-28-17, 12:15 PM
My best recommendation would be to keep your work relationships strictly business/professional and look for friends outside the workplace. However, this is coming from someone who has had recurring bad experiences with co-workers, I now have a lack of trust in most people I don't know well.

Abshire
07-23-17, 02:30 PM
I agree with ItsARose. Right now I'm the sole employee in a small office, but am looking for better work and have had bad experiences with co-workers in the past. So I'll have to face this again.

It has taken me many years to let go of the feelings of being inadequate. We ADD people are judged harshly by others; sometimes even our family members accuse us of being stupid. ADD is a problem, but it is not "who we are." We are human beings.

Sometimes, a co-worker problem isn't about our ADD. Some people are just jerks. Maybe this girl in the front office is simply a nasty person, and the other women are sheep who blindly follow her. If you have to try so hard to please them, they don't deserve you as a friend. Accept who you are, be pleasant and cordial at work even if they're cold, and look for friends outside the workplace.