View Full Version : Adderall vs Dexedrine video question

DaveB27
05-18-17, 05:37 PM
Hi all. So since I've been prescribed adderall recently I've been trying to do some research on it. Watched this video by a chemist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCPxPI_q8C8&t=699s

and he seems to be claiming (i may be way off here as it seems somewhat complicated) adderall is simply dexedrine with some useless stuff added to it so they could patent it and make a lot of money from it.

He claims that the added stuff is Levoamphetamine which has only a minor effect on adhd and adds a lot of unpleasant side effects.

Anyone heard of this and if there is any truth to it?

Greyhound1
05-18-17, 07:38 PM
Hi all. So since I've been prescribed adderall recently I've been trying to do some research on it. Watched this video by a chemist:

[...]

and he seems to be claiming (i may be way off here as it seems somewhat complicated) adderall is simply dexedrine with some useless stuff added to it so they could patent it and make a lot of money from it.

He claims that the added stuff is Levoamphetamine which has only a minor effect on adhd and adds a lot of unpleasant side effects.

Anyone heard of this and if there is any truth to it?
Welcome to the forum!

Adderall is 75% Dextroamphetamine and 25% Levoamphetamine. Levoamp. is an amphetamine but I certainly would disagree that it's useless. Some people benefit more from Adderall and others from Dex.

I have taken both for years and they affect me differently. The Levo amp. in Adderall tends to stimulate the CNS more than Dex. Some people tend to have more physical side effects imo from the Levo amp.

I have benefited from them both. Usually, I will take one for 3-6 mos. and then want to switch to the other.

One is no better or worse than the other. The best one is the one that works best for you. Both medications are useful in treating ADHD. I am glad Adderall is on the market and that Chemist doesn't know what he is talking about.

Many people here take Adderall and benefit from it daily.

Little Missy
05-18-17, 09:59 PM
He's a teenager wearing a necktie with a messy chalkboard. :scratch:

Greyhound1
05-18-17, 10:48 PM
He's a teenager wearing a necktie with a messy chalkboard. :scratch:

:lol: :thankyou:

sarahsweets
05-19-17, 04:02 AM
Ahh yes... Bill Nye's childhood home videos.

emperorpenguin
05-19-17, 10:24 AM
I switched from Adderall to Dexedrine due to side effects and it's worked well for me. If adderall works well for someone, though, I'd probably stick with it. Dexedrine is much less common, in the U.S at least, and you can run into some minor hassles filling it. They usually have to order it for me (I'm likely the only person who fills that scrip at that location). I don't mind because I have a good buffer of leftover meds, but if you ran out and had to wait 3-4 days that wouldn't be great. Some pharmacists aren't familiar with it at all, and they'll have to call you and/or the doc. I was even given Adderall by mistake once. These are hardly life-shattering problems but you may as well avoid them IF the popular drug works for you.

The levo portion certainly isn't useless, it just changes the effects (for better or worse, depending on the person). For me, other than the bad side effects, Adderall did last noticeably (though not dramatically) longer. Depending on how you like to dose, that could be a benefit. I believe that some fairly well-done trials have shown that the majority (of kids, at least) respond better to Adderall, vs Dex or racemic amphetamine (old-school Benzedrine or newfangled Evekeo). But that's just the average; every individual responds differently.