View Full Version : Chronic procrastination and no motivation

Snp0708
05-20-17, 12:52 PM
Hello all, I'm new here.. I'm 27 years old, and at age 25 I was diagnosed with inattentive adhd. It was actually a relief, because for my entire life I didn't know what was wrong with me. I struggled throughout my school years, bounced from job to job and so on. I also have always put things off until the LAST minute. Important things, then I'm rushing around trying to get whatever it is completed. Poor time management etc. Well I thought since being diagnosed and put on vyvanse that would be a cure all.. I thought since I started taking medication that I wouldn't have these problems anymore. While the vyvanse has certainly helped me, I still struggle to motivate myself to do even the simplest of tasks. I also struggle with time management as I am usually anywhere between 3 and 15 mins late to work everyday. I am just wondering if anyone has any pointers or suggestions on how I can manage these lingering symptoms and do better. I drive myself crazy! Thanks in advance :)

Cyllya
05-20-17, 07:19 PM
I think this is a problem with the "initiation of action" aspect of executive functioning. It seems like a lot of us have this problem, but it's not an official symptom (except when it causes certain behaviors on the symptom list), so most treatment research hardly acknowledges it at all.

This page (http://cyllyathoughts.blogspot.com/2016/10/initiation-motivation-procrastination.html) has everything I know about this, but unfortunately, the only decent help I've found for this is ADHD meds. (Even if your current dose helps with stuff like working memory, a higher dose might help with initiation impairment, although in my case, the benefit is usually temporary.)

kwalk
05-21-17, 03:04 AM
Try to be early for work, like 15 minutes so when you lose track of time it will balance but you want to be early still.
Work or school should help motivate you, when it's forced motivation. Otherwise do things that you think are fun if it is crafts or something. Or take up a new hobby, guitar really helped me. You could always go to craft classes. Your inspiration to do things will come on there own so don't force it. Even if you read a website about what you want to do, consider it a accomplishment. If you try to do something little every day it will help. And hey I still don't have the motivation to clean my room, do the dishes, and the laundry. There are just certain habits that don't want to break.

Snp0708
05-21-17, 12:46 PM
Cyllya, wow.. I just read the link and it's as if I was reading about myself.. it fits me to a T... seemingly simple tasks I just can't bring myself to do... my bills are always paid late not because I don't have the money, but I just don't ever do it until I know I need to.. for an example my Internet has been disconnected countless times and only then do I call the 800 number and pay my bill.. and going to the dmv to update my married name (I've been marred for almost 3 years) I just can't bring myself to do... I have never really explained this to anyone else because I feel like I sound ridiculous.. and kwalk, thank you I think I'll start setting my alarm as if I need to be to work at 8 instead of 830.. that way hopefully I will be able to arrive on time

Flarewind
05-26-17, 06:50 AM
That's because you were given Vyvanse which is all dopaminergic and you're an Inattentive. We I's do much better on Adderall or Ritalin which have some norepinephrine stimulation which gives us the mental kick in the pants we need to actually do things. All the dopamine in the world is just going to make an Inattentive really focused on not doing what their supposed too... until we notice the time

sarahsweets
05-26-17, 12:41 PM
That's because you were given Vyvanse which is all dopaminergic and you're an Inattentive. We I's do much better on Adderall or Ritalin which have some norepinephrine stimulation which gives us the mental kick in the pants we need to actually do things. All the dopamine in the world is just going to make an Inattentive really focused on not doing what their supposed too... until we notice the time

Amphetamines block the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine into the presynaptic neuron and increase the release of these monoamines into the extraneuronal space. The parent drug, lisdexamfetamine, does not bind to the sites responsible for the reuptake of norepinephrine

It sounds like amphetamines in general do what you are saying vyvanse does which to me would mean that one drug over the other makes no difference.
One difference that I think is important is that Adderall contains levoamphetamine which is one of the things responsible for excess PNS stimulation vs CNS stimulation but neither vyvanse nor ritalin contains levoamphetamine.

regardless, I havent seen any solid evidence that inattentives do better on certain drugs vs others. I still think it boils down to personal preference.

dvdnvwls
05-26-17, 12:58 PM
In my opinion, ADHD procrastination is never simple. I think it takes using multiple methods/strategies at the same time, and that if you look for the one thing that works on your procrastination you'll search forever with no result.

Sometimes you'll find a procrastination strategy that does nothing for you. Throw it away. But when you find something that sort of works, keep it as part of your procrastination toolbox.

KingHumble619
06-22-17, 04:59 PM
I have the same exact issue. Im 25 found i had ADD December of last year. Im so inconsistent with day to day tasks. Very forgetful and cant remember details of conversations to save my life. Its all so frustrating and disheartening. I often time dont know what to say or do and i feel like i have no one to turn to. I know your pain very well.

kwalk
06-23-17, 02:44 AM
I heard someone say take all the items off your desk so they don't distract you. I put a blanket once on my shelf next to my desk once. I also went on several walks once when my procrastination level was going extreme towards the end of the semester. What also helps is always being really busy!

stef
06-23-17, 02:51 AM
The danger of this, though, is putting them so far out of sight you forget them!
At work I once put several months worth of someone's credit card expenses to process in a drawer , and found them like 6 months later.

kwalk
06-23-17, 02:53 AM
I finally found my new psychiatrist recommendation when I was looking for sewing scissors for an hour today. It's the little things OMG.