View Full Version : Help me handle a difficult work situation

anonymouslyadd
05-20-17, 07:36 PM
My new boss came from behind me and motioned to the screen shot of What about Bob and basically said not to have the screen up like that anymore. It made me a little uneasy, but I listened.

My work environment has drastically changed over the last several weeks, and I need help dealing with it. I spent the last three days off, faking a fever.

Some changes have been for the good. Others, have not been good. The changes that have impacted me the most are the negative ones. There's more pressure, more accountability and more attention to our sales group. I have a new boss and president of the company. I think they believe I'm goofing off while on my iPad.

I'm one of the best salesman and have made upper management realize that many people have been slacking. Because of this realization they've poured on the pressure, which has made the environment more strict. I'm an intense person already so this environment makes life easier.

I'm unsure of how to handle the changes. Should I complain to upper management? I think they like me and my old boss said that my opinion matters.

dvdnvwls
05-21-17, 03:31 AM
Sometimes, the ability to internally say "Whatever" after the boss has left the room counts as a survival skill.

Fuzzy12
05-21-17, 04:03 AM
Definitely don't get upper management involved in this. I mean if it's the Screenshot issue you want to talk about. Better let that go.

If any of the changes are unreasonable and hinder you from doing your job then that might be something you can consider taking to upper management though I'd first speak to your immediate boss.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 08:12 PM
Sometimes, the ability to internally say "Whatever" after the boss has left the room counts as a survival skill.
The screen shot was minor but on my mind when I wrote my OP.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 08:13 PM
Definitely don't get upper management involved in this. I mean if it's the Screenshot issue you want to talk about. Better let that go.

If any of the changes are unreasonable and hinder you from doing your job then that might be something you can consider taking to upper management though I'd first speak to your immediate boss.
The screen shot is minor to the additional pressure of everything else. Why is this so hard for me to articulate?

dvdnvwls
05-21-17, 08:14 PM

The screen shot was minor but on my mind when I wrote my OP.
I meant "whatever" to a lot of things, not just that.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 08:17 PM
I meant "whatever" to a lot of things, not just that.
I've always needed some sort of approval from others. How do you think like you're suggesting I think?

Unmanagable
05-21-17, 09:12 PM
This part confuses me:

I'm one of the best salesman and have made upper management realize that many people have been slacking. Because of this realization they've poured on the pressure, which has made the environment more strict. I'm an intense person already so this environment makes life easier.

I'm unsure of how to handle the changes. Should I complain to upper management? I think they like me and my old boss said that my opinion matters.

The bolded part makes it sound as if the changes were in part brought about by your outstanding work and makes your life easier so I'm not sure I'm understanding what changes you'll be complaining about to upper management.

Do you mean complain about the previously unearthed slackers who aren't meeting the new demands, or complain about the new demands? Are you feeling like they may think less of you because of the screenshot?

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 09:18 PM
This part confuses me:

The bolded part makes it sound as if the changes were in part brought about by your outstanding work and makes your life easier so I'm not sure I'm understanding what changes you'll be complaining about to upper management.

Do you mean complain about the previously unearthed slackers who aren't meeting the new demands, or complain about the new demands? Are you feeling like they may think less of you because of the screenshot?
I think the changes have come because of me. Our group has caught a lot of flack over the last few months because of what I've exposed. I don't know.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform and do well. I don't want or need people coming over my back and nitpicking things like a stupid screen shot.

Little Missy
05-21-17, 09:20 PM
Which screenshot was it?

Unmanagable
05-21-17, 09:29 PM
I think the changes have come because of me. Our group has caught a lot of flack over the last few months because of what I've exposed. I don't know.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform and do well. I don't want or need people coming over my back and nitpicking things like a stupid screen shot.

Ahhh....sounds like an exhausted emotional reaction to an overload of what-ifness thinking combined with the overwhelming stress of the unknown that comes with huge changes like a major shift in management, especially when you got along so well with the previous one.

It's like going through the stages of grief, or at least that's how it's felt to me in the past, as it was indeed a huge loss and life as I previously knew it was over, for at least 40+ hours of each week.

I wouldn't take it to upper management. I'd take it to inner management and try to figure out what exactly is tripping your trigger and figure a healthy way to redirect your focus on the things that feel good again, while continuing to do the outstanding job you've been recognized for.

If you go to upper management and complain that you feel they are complaining about stupid s***, it likely won't leave a very favorable impression even if you are one of the best salesmen. Choose which cans of worms to open very carefully. Your opinion very much matters, but so does the delivery and timing of it.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 09:43 PM
Which screenshot was it?
I showed a coworker of mine a clip of What About Bob, and I still had the screen up on my desk. It was on an iPad, which I use to accomplish my work.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't take it to upper management. I'd take it to inner management and try to figure out what exactly is tripping your trigger and figure a healthy way to redirect your focus on the things that feel good again, while continuing to do the outstanding job you've been recognized for.

If you go to upper management and complain that you feel they are complaining about stupid s***, it likely won't leave a very favorable impression even if you are one of the best salesmen. Choose which cans of worms to open very carefully. Your opinion very much matters, but so does the delivery and timing of it.
OK, but we do have other issues. For two months now, I've been telling people about our referral program, which gives existing customers a $10 credit to their monthly bill for every new client they refer. It turns out that we don't have any processes in place to make this referral happen.

Now, what in the world am I going to tell my new customers and ones that are already waiting on a credit?

Unmanagable
05-21-17, 09:58 PM
OK, but we do have other issues. For two months now, I've been telling people about our referral program, which gives existing customers a $10 credit to their monthly bill for every new client they refer. It turns out that we don't have any processes in place to make this referral happen.

Now, what in the world am I going to tell my new customers and ones that are already waiting on a credit?

I always vote for the truth, but many business owners frown upon that. lol

Who told you to offer it and why, especially if there's nothing in place to make it happen? That would be the first person I'd go to.

If it was your previous boss, then I'd go to their replacement and explain what's up.

That's a very legitimate concern as it directly effects the customers and could lose quite a few accounts if it ticks them off.

It's just plain bad business and needs to be addressed.

Little Missy
05-21-17, 09:59 PM
I showed a coworker of mine a clip of What About Bob, and I still had the screen up on my desk. It was on an iPad, which I use to accomplish my work.

I understand that part. But which screenshot?

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 10:04 PM
I understand that part. But which screenshot?
Well, it wasn't really a screen shot. It was an image of a shot video I found through a Bing search.

Little Missy
05-21-17, 10:04 PM
Well, it wasn't really a screen shot. It was an image of a shot video I found through a Bing search.

What was it??? :)

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 10:05 PM
I always vote for the truth, but many business owners frown upon that. lol

Who told you to offer it and why, especially if there's nothing in place to make it happen? That would be the first person I'd go to.

If it was your previous boss, then I'd go to their replacement and explain what's up.

That's a very legitimate concern as it directly effects the customers and could lose quite a few accounts if it ticks them off.

It's just plain bad business and needs to be addressed.
The company rolled it out, and we had it on our website. The replacement knows about the issue and is having it taken off the website.

Unmanagable
05-21-17, 10:20 PM
What's their plan to address the issue of customers already having been offered an offer they can't follow through on? It sounds like they're already aware of the issue. Was it placed on the website and offered before it was finalized or something? Sounds odd.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 10:34 PM
What's their plan to address the issue of customers already having been offered an offer they can't follow through on? It sounds like they're already aware of the issue. Was it placed on the website and offered before it was finalized or something? Sounds odd.
I'm not sure. We don't do things 100%. We do them like 70%.

Unmanagable
05-21-17, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure. We don't do things 100%. We do them like 70%.

I don't know what else to tell ya' other than good luck. Sounds like a difficult scene to try to function in even without any obstacles.

anonymouslyadd
05-21-17, 10:57 PM
I don't know what else to tell ya' other than good luck. Sounds like a difficult scene to try to function in even without any obstacles.
That's what I really want to talk to upper management about.

superherobootca
05-28-17, 04:22 AM
I spent many years as a corporate executive at a F100 company and had extreme ADHD.

Results matter, just perform well. Don't allow your imagination to run wild. I got away with a lot because I was the highest performer at the company.

Most managers are really poor leaders. They say and do really stupid things. They make bad business decisions and most know little about running an organization. Just do your job well and ignore the bluster and threats, for now.

Your perception of the world may be skewed. Believe me, I told plenty of people to,remove things from their wall or computer. I forgot it within a few minutes.

No, everyone is not talking and thinking about you all day. They are more concerned about saving their own skin.

The best thing you can do is to find a mentor outside of the company... ...someone that has real chops in business.

Put away your iPad and use a paper notepad for the moment. Perception is everything.