View Full Version : Strattera demotivates me, and causing bad mood, how to deal with ?

AmroIb
05-21-17, 12:21 PM
I noticed that whenever I take strattera my motivation goes down. I'm already struggling with task initiation strattera makes it even worse. started on 40mg and reached a max dose of 80. Stayed on it for more than 2 monthes hoping that my mood will get better, it only got worse, every task feel too hard to initiate !! what it does is it makes me think and worry about the task all day but can't get start it because it feels like a torture ! I stopped it for couple of weeks during this time I started lexapro hoping that it will elevate my mood, then started strattera again and same thing happened ! For those that strattera worked for you what do you do for motivation ? I'm not speaking about euphoria just that little kick you get with stimulant to get started.

Little Missy
05-21-17, 12:45 PM
Neither Strattera nor Lexapro are stimulants. :confused:

finallyfound10
05-21-17, 01:40 PM
I have done the "best" on Strattera and Wellbutrin but it's still a very far cry from "normal" so I'm not sure if it's one or both that isn't doing all it should for my ADHD and Depression. I'm sticking with it for now and hoping to try Alpha Stim for the Depression to combat the isolating more than anything. Can you try another med? The stimulants didn't work for you?

BTW, I've taken Concerta and Vyvanse with Prozac and Cymbalta in various combinations and dosages.

AmroIb
05-21-17, 02:15 PM
I have done the "best" on Strattera and Wellbutrin but it's still a very far cry from "normal" so I'm not sure if it's one or both that isn't doing all it should for my ADHD and Depression. I'm sticking with it for now and hoping to try Alpha Stim for the Depression to combat the isolating more than anything. Can you try another med? The stimulants didn't work for you?

BTW, I've taken Concerta and Vyvanse with Prozac and Cymbalta in various combinations and dosages.

I tried wellbutrin with strattera before, it triggered really bad anxiety so dropped the wellbutrin and continued with strattera because my psychiatric said it's approved for adhd . I have tried adderal solo for couple months l but could not tolerate the side effect. Currently I am taking lexapro and wellbutrin to alleviate some of the withdrawal effect from vyvanse and small dose of intuniv for anxiety. I do have vyvanse currently but I'm trying to get off stimulant. I am really prone to anxiety I have social anxiety and general anxiety so I am trying to figure the best combo, I am collage student in a demanding major so a lots of work. Wellbutrin dose help with procrastination and task initiation and energy in general but dose nothing for concentration it might actually making me more hyper sometimes.

AmroIb
05-21-17, 02:15 PM
Neither Strattera nor Lexapro are stimulants. :confused:

But strattera is approved for ADHD/ADD.

Little Missy
05-21-17, 02:36 PM
But strattera is approved for ADHD/ADD.

But it is neither a stimulant nor an amphetamine.

dvdnvwls
05-21-17, 03:25 PM
You don't "try" to get off stimulants unless you're a drug addict consuming ridiculous amounts. To "get off" of an ADHD prescription for a stimulant, which for ADHD means amphetamine or methylphenidate but no others, you simply stop. You expect to feel tired for a few days, and that's the end of it.

Cyllya
05-21-17, 03:37 PM
It sounds like Strattera is just no good for you. Sometimes side effects happen more at the beginning and/or therapeutic affects take a while to start, but you've given it a long enough shot.

Ask your doctor to switch to another med. Have you tried methylphenidate?

I do have vyvanse currently but I'm trying to get off stimulant.
Why? Do you have amphetamine addiction?

If you're taking Vyvanse but reducing the dose/frequency while you're taking Strattera, the amphetamine withdrawal might be the cause or contributor of how bad you feel.

AmroIb
05-22-17, 10:38 AM
You don't "try" to get off stimulants unless you're a drug addict consuming ridiculous amounts. To "get off" of an ADHD prescription for a stimulant, which for ADHD means amphetamine or methylphenidate but no others, you simply stop. You expect to feel tired for a few days, and that's the end of it.

Well, sorry I misused words here, English is not my first language.What I meant is that I'm trying to find a better alternative, I'm not addict on the contrary I always have prescription left-over at the end of the months, I just don't like stimulant they destabilize my mood, make me irritable some time extremely anxious.

It sounds like Strattera is just no good for you. Sometimes side effects happen more at the beginning and/or therapeutic affects take a while to start, but you've given it a long enough shot.

Ask your doctor to switch to another med. Have you tried methylphenidate?

Why? Do you have amphetamine addiction?

If you're taking Vyvanse but reducing the dose/frequency while you're taking Strattera, the amphetamine withdrawal might be the cause or contributor of how bad you feel.

I don't take strattera with vyvanse, the extra norepinephrine gives me really bad anxiety. Tried adderall and focalin in the past now on vyvanse. Adderall was the worst in terms of anxiety but worked fine for my ADHD, focalin only worked for 40 mins then I will crash and sleep, played with the dose it just didn't make any difference, so it seems mythelphendate products are not good for me. Vyvanse is so unpredictable I'm taking 20mg right now, I feel it kicks after 2 hours and it only lasts 4 hours and then I will be left with really bad depression and despair, on other occasions it works fine. I'm thinking of trying the instant release dextromphetamine but if I can find an alternative medications to stimulants I will be better that way as it seems I' very prone to stimulant side effect.

AmroIb
05-23-17, 07:43 AM
But it is neither a stimulant nor an amphetamine.

Yes I know but isn't strattera supposed to help with ADHD symptoms ? one of the main symptoms of adhd lack of motivation and procrastination and disorganization, in my case strattera causing these symptoms to be worse, maybe my problem is more of dopamine deficiency that causing my ADHD and not norepinephrine ?

Little Missy
05-23-17, 07:51 AM
Yes I know but isn't strattera supposed to help with ADHD symptoms ? one of the main symptoms of adhd lack of motivation and procrastination and disorganization, in my case strattera causing these symptoms to be worse, maybe my problem is more of dopamine deficiency that causing my ADHD and not norepinephrine ?

Honestly, I have not a clue. Ask your doctor.

AmroIb
05-23-17, 10:52 AM
Honestly, I have not a clue. Ask your doctor.
I wish my doctor​ knew, probaby I should find a new one. Thank you though for reading.

sarahsweets
05-23-17, 11:07 AM

Yes, Strattera is used to treat adhd but its not a stimulant. You say you want an alternative to stimulants and that would be Strattera or Wellbutrin.

Lunacie
05-23-17, 11:13 AM

This is what a doctor is quoted as saying about Strattera in the magazine ADDitude:

Strattera is a non-stimulant medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder that treats distractibility, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children, teens, and adults with ADHD.

Doesn't say anything about motivation, procrastination or disorganization.
My granddaughter took it for awhile, no awful side effects but absolutely no
benefits either.

She also tried Vyvanse (horrible side effects) and Adderall (no benefits). The
one that worked best for her was Concerta, but it didn't last long enough, and
instead of adding a booster of Ritalin IR, the doctor decided to switch meds.
Train wreck followed.

bluefoxicy
05-25-17, 10:54 AM
In my case, Strattera cuts away my mood. If I wake up feeling good and motivated and then take Atomoxetine, I suddenly feel bland and unmotivated.

If I'm sleep-deprived, I have attention issues; if not, I'm hyperactive and have impulse control problems. So here's the thing: if I take Strattera, it sharply decreases those impulse control problems. I'm pretty sure I can cut back a lot; I'm on 25mg twice per day and can probably manage on 25mg x 1 or 10mg x 2. The problem is Strattera is also allowing me to sleep decently, which is critical.

Consideration #1: Do you need the full dose of Strattera?

Work with your doctor to determine if you can cut back the dose and still get the necessary effects.

I'm also SER sensitive. At the full 80mg, I was riding on serotonin mania and told the doctor to cut back the dose. At 60mg, the mania went away, and the fatigue and high heart rate remained. At 25mg x 2, I avoid the fatigue and tachycardia, but still have mood depression.

Strattera is making me much-more-sensitive to Caffeine. I can still drink tea, but I can't switch teas because starting with fresh leaves more than once in a day banks me ~250mg CF and messes me all up. I get nausea. Caffeine is a Serotonin PAM, or some similar thing; it increases neural sensitivity to serotonin.

Consideration #2: Other drugs.

Alcohol? Caffeine? SAM-e? What else are you taking that could screw around with you? Look especially hard at Serotonergics. Norepinephrine is pretty tame and will adjust itself out; excess SER won't.

My original problemówhat motivated me to see a psychiatrist in search of stronger drugs than I can (legally) get on my ownówas an inability to self-motivate. I would start things and not finish them. I'd take on new initiatives and abandon them in two weeks.

That didn't change.

Sleep, Strattera, and some cognitive effort hasn't given me any motivation. The problem is boredom: the pattern behavior is I get bored of everything. I have anhedonia and my rewards mechanism doesn't work at all.

Basically, I only derive significant emotional pleasure from hallucinations. I want to knock down the Strattera to 18mg x 2 because I'm trying to keep the benefits (impulse control, sleep), but also want the synesthesia and constant physical-emotional sensations being dumped on me from endless schizoid fantasy world hallucinations.

I did not tell my psychiatrist I'm schizoid, by the way.

Boredom with everything, anhedonia, and an inability to self-motivate due to a non-functional rewards system which doesn't derive pleasure or reinforcement from any real-world activities. No sense of achievement. No desire to repeat enjoyable experiences.

That's major depressive disorder.

I actually reversed that pretty well on my own by using an NDRI. Wellbutrin is the usual; I avoided that for one I prefer (non-FDA-approved, but non-abusable because it causes depression at elevated doses and so the DEA doesn't care). My psychiatrist tried Amphetamine but it made me depressed and prevents me from sleeping. I'm actually dosing little enough to not get euphoria or pleasure emotions, but enough to avoid feeling horrible trying to force myself to do things; I'm weird.

Consideration #3: Comorbid conditions.

Do you have depression? An inability to experience pleasure emotions, lack of reinforcing rewards, and no sense of achievement or drive is common with ADHD, aspergers, and cluster-A personality disorders like Schizoid Personality Disorder. Major Depressive Disorder can manifest as a simple lack of feelingócomplete and total boredom with everything due to motivational anhedonia. You won't necessarily feel depressed.

These are all things you need to ask your doctor or, if possible, your psychiatrist. ADHD comes with so many comorbid conditions it can take some serious counseling to identify precisely what's wrong with you. If it's bothering you, then it's worth it; it may take months or years to pin everything down, but you should progress along the way.

Oh, and bring anything concerning up to your psychiatrist quickly. The two major ones are suicidal impulses and mania. Most antidepressants are serotonergics (SSRI or SNRI), with Wellbutrin as the chief NDRI option. All of these things can either fix exactly what's wrong with you or mess you up pretty bad; there's no way to look inside your head and figure out which (in my case, I've hit serotonin mania so many times it's bluntly obvious SER drugs aren't the answeróthe only way to "look inside" is to try it a few times and see what happens).

sarahsweets
05-25-17, 11:09 AM
I actually reversed that pretty well on my own by using an NDRI. Wellbutrin is the usual; I avoided that for one I prefer (non-FDA-approved, but non-abusable because it causes depression at elevated doses and so the DEA doesn't care). What drug is this?
My psychiatrist tried Amphetamine but it made me depressed and prevents me from sleeping. I'm actually dosing little enough to not get euphoria or pleasure emotions, but enough to avoid feeling horrible trying to force myself to do things; I'm weird.
Of what? Amphetamines?

Theres a saying: Pills dont teach skills. I know I am guilty of expecting medications to be the cure-all but without re-learning how to live and cope was essential.

AmroIb
05-27-17, 11:38 AM
In my case, Strattera cuts away my mood. If I wake up feeling good and motivated and then take Atomoxetine, I suddenly feel bland and unmotivated.

If I'm sleep-deprived, I have attention issues; if not, I'm hyperactive and have impulse control problems. So here's the thing: if I take Strattera, it sharply decreases those impulse control problems. I'm pretty sure I can cut back a lot; I'm on 25mg twice per day and can probably manage on 25mg x 1 or 10mg x 2. The problem is Strattera is also allowing me to sleep decently, which is critical.

Consideration #1: Do you need the full dose of Strattera?

Work with your doctor to determine if you can cut back the dose and still get the necessary effects.

I'm also SER sensitive. At the full 80mg, I was riding on serotonin mania and told the doctor to cut back the dose. At 60mg, the mania went away, and the fatigue and high heart rate remained. At 25mg x 2, I avoid the fatigue and tachycardia, but still have mood depression.

Strattera is making me much-more-sensitive to Caffeine. I can still drink tea, but I can't switch teas because starting with fresh leaves more than once in a day banks me ~250mg CF and messes me all up. I get nausea. Caffeine is a Serotonin PAM, or some similar thing; it increases neural sensitivity to serotonin.

Consideration #2: Other drugs.

Alcohol? Caffeine? SAM-e? What else are you taking that could screw around with you? Look especially hard at Serotonergics. Norepinephrine is pretty tame and will adjust itself out; excess SER won't.

My original problemówhat motivated me to see a psychiatrist in search of stronger drugs than I can (legally) get on my ownówas an inability to self-motivate. I would start things and not finish them. I'd take on new initiatives and abandon them in two weeks.

That didn't change.

Sleep, Strattera, and some cognitive effort hasn't given me any motivation. The problem is boredom: the pattern behavior is I get bored of everything. I have anhedonia and my rewards mechanism doesn't work at all.

Basically, I only derive significant emotional pleasure from hallucinations. I want to knock down the Strattera to 18mg x 2 because I'm trying to keep the benefits (impulse control, sleep), but also want the synesthesia and constant physical-emotional sensations being dumped on me from endless schizoid fantasy world hallucinations.

I did not tell my psychiatrist I'm schizoid, by the way.

Boredom with everything, anhedonia, and an inability to self-motivate due to a non-functional rewards system which doesn't derive pleasure or reinforcement from any real-world activities. No sense of achievement. No desire to repeat enjoyable experiences.

That's major depressive disorder.

I actually reversed that pretty well on my own by using an NDRI. Wellbutrin is the usual; I avoided that for one I prefer (non-FDA-approved, but non-abusable because it causes depression at elevated doses and so the DEA doesn't care). My psychiatrist tried Amphetamine but it made me depressed and prevents me from sleeping. I'm actually dosing little enough to not get euphoria or pleasure emotions, but enough to avoid feeling horrible trying to force myself to do things; I'm weird.

Consideration #3: Comorbid conditions.

Do you have depression? An inability to experience pleasure emotions, lack of reinforcing rewards, and no sense of achievement or drive is common with ADHD, aspergers, and cluster-A personality disorders like Schizoid Personality Disorder. Major Depressive Disorder can manifest as a simple lack of feelingócomplete and total boredom with everything due to motivational anhedonia. You won't necessarily feel depressed.

These are all things you need to ask your doctor or, if possible, your psychiatrist. ADHD comes with so many comorbid conditions it can take some serious counseling to identify precisely what's wrong with you. If it's bothering you, then it's worth it; it may take months or years to pin everything down, but you should progress along the way.

Oh, and bring anything concerning up to your psychiatrist quickly. The two major ones are suicidal impulses and mania. Most antidepressants are serotonergics (SSRI or SNRI), with Wellbutrin as the chief NDRI option. All of these things can either fix exactly what's wrong with you or mess you up pretty bad; there's no way to look inside your head and figure out which (in my case, I've hit serotonin mania so many times it's bluntly obvious SER drugs aren't the answeróthe only way to "look inside" is to try it a few times and see what happens).

Thank you for the detailed answer, very helpful !! I was doing a lot of research too, I also tried changing meds and dosing , ( reducing not taking extra than what I am allowed to ). ( wellbutrin- lexapro- strattera- trileptal mood stabilzier - adderall- vyvanse-)

Wellbutrin make me jumpy give me motivation but was jumpy and increased distraction. Combined with strattera it was disaster, because wellbutrin inhibit 2d6 enzymes which are important for strattera metabolism. So by taking the two together strattera effect is boosted.

I do believe I am depressed I have atypical depression, unfortunately SSRI did not work, stimulant allivate my depression temporarily then I am left worse without them.

Obviously like you mentioned I have a comrbid case, I believe I am a bi-polar or developed a bi polar or some sort of mood disorder, strattera is heavily warranted to use in bi polar patient. I think that's what is going on with me, as far as serotonin for me SSRI never made a difference Took lexapro on and off nothing happened or changed.

My doctor prescribed dextoamp after I complain about vyvanse causing mood swings, I ended up in the ER for panic attack. Gave me some ativan and I was discharged.

After doing extensive researches, I believe I have dopamin depletion which is my I am depressed and SSRI didn't work because taking N-ACYTL-TRYoSIN with my med fix the anxiety and side effect !! no is not a placebo I could take any amphetamine without any anxiety at all !! This might be caused by genetics issue like my body can not break down amino acid sufficiently so It can't make sufficient tyrosin to make dopamine and noriepnhprine ! L-tyrosin won't work because it won't pass the blood brain barrier and I feel no effect only NALT calms me down. Which surprising because everybody swear by L-tyrosin which is a product of NALT .

unfortunately the stuff is too acicidc and caused a stomach issues. What I am looking after now is trying MAIO for adhd and my anxiety and depression there are promising results for parnate for adhd and anxity with depression. Although my psychiatric did not agree to prescribe it as he believes they are fatal, but I am really into giving them a try, they might work better for my mood and ADHD.

If by a chance I try parnate I will post my experience, it is only recommended for people with depression and anxiety that did not respond to SSRI and others anti depressant like my case and it also helps with motivation and adhd because it boosts all the neurotransmitter in different mechanism that re-uptake inhibitor, more with balance unlike re-uptake inhibitor.

Thank you all for replying, it's really nice to see there are people who are willing to help others. I really appreciate it.