View Full Version : Adderall last 5 years switching to Vyvanse?

Believeland1987
05-23-17, 01:38 AM
I am sure this is an overused topic on here but I have a few questions for those who have experience or knowledge on the topic...

30 yr old male. 5 foot 9 177 lbs very physically active (sometimes people think this matters so I listed it)

Started at 20mg immediate release 2x a day. Didn't work weekends so I never took the medication on weekends. Then about 3 years in to the 5 years I switched careers where I had to work weekends. So I started taking it on weekends and only 1 20mg on my off days sometimes just none on the off days. Now we are in year 5 and I don't work weekends again. Havent worked weekends at all.. now I find myself taking the doses every day even off days and even weekends. Not because I am 'craving" the high or anything but I am lethargic I feel without it. I also am on 20 mg 3x a day since March 2016.

I had an issue with express scripts and they fudged my order so I was without my medication for almost 10 days. My wifes friend takes vyvanse and she gave me a couple to get through a few long days of work mixed with traveling across the country for work.

It was 60mg It seemed to last longer than my adderall 20mg and it seemed to be much cleaner consumption. Adderall at times makes me feel cloudy and ehhhhh kind of feeling sort of like taking a shot of well tequila instead of patron lol. But i attribute that to the generic brand I got that month (teva/barr never issues like that).

So My question is.... who prefers vyvanse over adderall? Why? Why not?

What is 20mg 3x a day equivalent to in vyvanse? That one 60mg isnt the same as 20mg 3x a day of adderall I dont think? But I am not a chemist....

What are the best options for affording Vyvanse.. it is rather expensive and even if my insurance covers some of it I still see people paying $100-200 a month.

And finally... how do I bring this up to my doctor.. I am somewhat weary about these kinds of things with the doctor... Is it unethical for me to simply say I want to try vyvanse over adderall and see how it works for me?

Thanks in advance!

Greyhound1
05-23-17, 08:14 PM
And finally... how do I bring this up to my doctor.. I am somewhat weary about these kinds of things with the doctor... Is it unethical for me to simply say I want to try vyvanse over adderall and see how it works for me?

Hi, welcome to the forum. I don't think there is equivalent between Vyvanse and Adderall IR. One being a time release and one being instant. They are also similar but different amphetamines and everyone will react differently. Best to always start a bit low and titrate up to the proper dose.

As far as your last question goes, I don't think it's unethical or wrong to ask your Dr. about other medications. That's how I tried Vyvanse, Strattera, Dextroamphetamine and Nuvigil. I was having some bothersome side effects on Adderall and my Dr. was fine with trying other medications. My goal and my Dr's was to find what worked the best for me.

sarahsweets
05-23-17, 09:42 PM
I am sure this is an overused topic on here but I have a few questions for those who have experience or knowledge on the topic...

30 yr old male. 5 foot 9 177 lbs very physically active (sometimes people think this matters so I listed it)

Started at 20mg immediate release 2x a day. Didn't work weekends so I never took the medication on weekends. Then about 3 years in to the 5 years I switched careers where I had to work weekends. So I started taking it on weekends and only 1 20mg on my off days sometimes just none on the off days. Now we are in year 5 and I don't work weekends again. Havent worked weekends at all.. now I find myself taking the doses every day even off days and even weekends. Not because I am 'craving" the high or anything but I am lethargic I feel without it. I also am on 20 mg 3x a day since March 2016.
Why wouldnt you take your medication everyday? Dont you have adhd everyday? I dont see the benefit of skipping days.

I had an issue with express scripts and they fudged my order so I was without my medication for almost 10 days. My wifes friend takes vyvanse and she gave me a couple to get through a few long days of work mixed with traveling across the country for work.
Very bad, illegal idea.

It was 60mg It seemed to last longer than my adderall 20mg and it seemed to be much cleaner consumption. Adderall at times makes me feel cloudy and ehhhhh kind of feeling sort of like taking a shot of well tequila instead of patron lol. But i attribute that to the generic brand I got that month (teva/barr never issues like that).

So My question is.... who prefers vyvanse over adderall? Why? Why not?

What is 20mg 3x a day equivalent to in vyvanse? That one 60mg isnt the same as 20mg 3x a day of adderall I dont think? But I am not a chemist....

What are the best options for affording Vyvanse.. it is rather expensive and even if my insurance covers some of it I still see people paying $100-200 a month.

Thanks in advance!

People prefer different drugs for different reasons all the time but taking a couple of vyvanse and then being willing to completely switch is IMO hasty.
You have every right to ask your doctor. Just dont be surprised if he asks you how you know vyvanse is better than your adderall.

Believeland1987
05-24-17, 06:25 PM
1. I am prescribed adderall because of two reason. Extremely long and unpredictable work days. Very fidgety and easily lose focus at task at hand.

As you can see, these symptoms are primarily an issue for my work life. Not my social life (weekends not working). THEREFORE in the PAST that is why I did not always take the medication on the weekends or days I did not work because I was not doing 13 work tasks at once on the weekend. It was years ago that I was taking less or no pills on days off of work.

2. A few Vyvanse make me want to switch... or you could actually understand how to view both sides. It is actually because I have been on ADDERALL FOR SO LONG THAT I DO NOT PREFER THE DRUG ANYMORE THUS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR THE ALTERNATIVE. As stated, I did the research on Vyvanse and on paper it seems to be the better/safer/more efficient medication. So when the doctor asks me "how my Vyvanse was better" I will simply described to him everything that I read and educated myself on when researching the drug.

People prefer different drugs for different reasons all the time but taking a couple of vyvanse and then being willing to completely switch is IMO hasty.
You have every right to ask your doctor. Just dont be surprised if he asks you how you know vyvanse is better than your adderall.

sarahsweets
05-26-17, 01:06 PM
1. I am prescribed adderall because of two reason. Extremely long and unpredictable work days. Very fidgety and easily lose focus at task at hand.

As you can see, these symptoms are primarily an issue for my work life. Not my social life (weekends not working). THEREFORE in the PAST that is why I did not always take the medication on the weekends or days I did not work because I was not doing 13 work tasks at once on the weekend. It was years ago that I was taking less or no pills on days off of work.
Im glad that works for you. For me, and many others. adhd takes no breaks and the impairments are across the board-meaning it goes beyond work or school.

2. A few Vyvanse make me want to switch... or you could actually understand how to view both sides. It is actually because I have been on ADDERALL FOR SO LONG THAT I DO NOT PREFER THE DRUG ANYMORE THUS WHY I AM LOOKING FOR THE ALTERNATIVE. As stated, I did the research on Vyvanse and on paper it seems to be the better/safer/more efficient medication. So when the doctor asks me "how my Vyvanse was better" I will simply described to him everything that I read and educated myself on when researching the drug.

Well, since you tried it already, I see no need to hide that fact. I think you should tell the doctor you have tried it and see what he/she says.

mcdisney
06-16-17, 09:42 PM
Doctors know most of their patients have done things that were unhealthy, illegal, or ill-advised; it doesn't stop them from treating us! Just let your doctor know you tried the Vyvanse, and see if he thinks it might be an option for you. Yes, he's internally rolling his eyes, but he's heard it all before, and he does want to know so he can help.

As for the cost, I pay $25 after insurance. Some insurance plans have a max they'll pay per year on prescriptions (mine doesn't); if yours does, keep in mind that the original price of this med is around $300 per month, which means my insurance is paying around $3,240 a year (plus what they pay for my other meds). Check your plan to see if you have an annual limit. :-)