View Full Version : I'm not sure which way the cat should jump

midnightstar
05-24-17, 11:00 AM
So I've got my heart set on volunteering for a cat rescue again but don't know what to do.

Option 1 is I save up and look into moving to a town I found that has really good public transport (compared to this dump where I currently live), disadvantage for this is I would have to change jobs because there is no way on this earth I could get to my current place of work from the town, despite good public transport to the city and probably other places as well. I have not visited the town unless you count seeing it on google maps as visiting it.

Option 2 is I continue to try getting my driving test passed and either drive to that rescue or find a closer rescue (the only other cat rescue I found in the city that I can get to easily does not have a good reputation)

Option 3 is I see if the cat rescue with a bad reputation needs volunteers (basically I know from other people that they make it extremely difficult for people to adopt from them and management treat volunteers and paid staff like something brown and stinky that you really do not want to step in)

I am also unsure whether to continue with the kennels long term either, for a couple of reasons (reason 1 is they're moving and we don't yet know where they're moving to so they could end up somewhere even harder to get to) and the other reason is their rehoming policy (if you know the people in charge you can walk in and adopt a dog but everyone else has to go through the checks and everything, my opinion is everyone should go through the checks, no exceptions)

Also, if I did move, would Ebony be able to handle the move or would it make her sick again? idk

So yeah thoughts from everyone welcome :thankyou:

Greyhound1
05-24-17, 12:55 PM
I think option #2 sounds the best. Good luck getting your license.:)

midnightstar
05-24-17, 01:01 PM
I think option #2 sounds the best. Good luck getting your license.:)

I wasn't sure about option 2 because I really can't deal with roundabouts or big vehicles on the road :o

Example 1: approaching a roundabout and constantly getting confused and going in the wrong lane :o

Example 2: started overtaking a bus at a bus stop, bus moved, I reacted with "holy crap" and braked - on the wrong side of the road - before pulling back in (luckily nothing was coming towards me) :o

So yeah idk if I will ever have option 2 become a reality :o

acdc01
05-24-17, 01:28 PM
Were you the one that was concerned that you would never be able to find a partner cause your town was so small? If that was you and you are feeling lonely in your current city and you think it would widen your dating and friendship circles, I'd go for option 1 provided you take a few day trips and explore the place first.

Also, is there a facebook or reddit page where you can find people you can talk to in that city? Sorry, if I sound na´ve on this, I've never looked for anything like this myself so don't know if it exists.

If moving wouldn't make you happier over all, if you already have a decent enough family/friend/partner situation in your current town, or if you feel you can find enough to feel like you have enough people in your own town that you care about and who care about you, I'd either pick option 2 or find another volunteer activity besides the cat thing. If you don't think you'd be a good driver, I would not pick option 2. It only takes 1 car accident to kill you or someone else.

No way would I ever pick option 3. It sounds miserable.

psychopathetic
05-24-17, 01:37 PM
I know you don't like option 2...but that to me, personally, seems like the best of the 3 choices.
Moving is so drastic...and you've held on to your current job for so long. I'd hate to see you disrupt that...who knows if you'll be able to find a job in the new town that you can hold onto like this current one.
Plus moving is always going to be hard on pets. They'd be fine...I've no doubt...but initially it would be very tough for them as they adjusted.

Option #3 seems like it'd end up hurting you more than helping. You don't need the grief and hardship the management and other staff/volunteers may give you...it's SO miserable to work under bad management.
You want to do this cause you're such a wonderful, loving person. But when you got mean people that you have to work for, they zap all that love and enthusiasm out of you, and instead of feeling like you're doing something you love...it ends up being something you dread having to do and it makes you miserable.

Option 2 is really frightening to you...I have an aunt in her mid late 40's who's never gotten a license to drive either...cause she's real nervous about it too.
But I'm thinking that if you gave yourself enough time...that the fear of the roundabouts and big vehicles will lessen. The fear will always likely be there...but with practice, after you've had your license for awhile and have gotten through these experiences without any sort of incidents...the fear will lessen to a point where it's not something that holds you back anymore. It's something you'll be cautious of, and avoid where you can...but at the same time you'll have built up enough confidence, that you know you can get through it.

And think of how lovely it'd be to have your own car! :D

...these are just my initial thoughts. I haven't thought this out yet...this is just what I'm thinking in the moment.

I'm afraid you wont like my thoughts, as I'm pushing option 2 so hard lol...but honestly, it really does seem like the best of the 3 to me right now.

(((Mids)))

acdc01
05-24-17, 02:02 PM
Moving is so drastic...and you've held on to your current job for so long. I'd hate to see you disrupt that...who knows if you'll be able to find a job in the new town that you can hold onto like this current one.
Plus moving is always going to be hard on pets. They'd be fine...I've no doubt...but initially it would be very tough for them as they adjusted.))

I should have said, I think you should find a job you have a good chance of liking and then move. Don't move and then find a job. I would never move just for a volunteer position but it seemed like moving might be better for you all around. It really depends though if you have family and friends in your current town already. And I still think your cats will be fine with the move even if it is a little adjustment for a very short term while you get long term benefits.

midnightstar
05-24-17, 03:58 PM
With the lorry thing (trucks in the USA), I've heard too many scary stories of lorries deciding to change lanes/move to the side, not seeing there's a car there and car ends up a little bit pancaked :eek: As in splat :faint: Complete with car driver :eek::faint::eek::faint::(

Little Missy
05-24-17, 05:03 PM
With the lorry thing (trucks in the USA), I've heard too many scary stories of lorries deciding to change lanes/move to the side, not seeing there's a car there and car ends up a little bit pancaked :eek: As in splat :faint: Complete with car driver :eek::faint::eek::faint::(

If you are comparing the expressways around HUGE cities, then maybe. And are you planning to drive the USA's busiest expressways?

I believe you may be putting the cart before the horse again.

dvdnvwls
05-25-17, 05:32 PM
I don't think moving houses or towns for a volunteer job could ever qualify as a good idea. The only exception would be a rich person who can volunteer wherever they like because they don't need money.

Otherwise, IMO you only move for a guarantee of better money, or for slightly worse money but a more satisfying or pleasant or suitable job.

Having your licence gives you a great deal more freedom and opportunity, even if you don't buy a car. For one thing, jobs that require driving become possible for you. Some people will (unfairly, but it's a fact) treat you better because you know how.

There are people who simply should not drive - sone because they aren't capable of noticing the things a driver needs to notice, others because they lack the physical skills or the mental skills (memory for example). From what I've read, I think you don't have those problems. You certainly can be anxious, but even severe anxiety can be overcome - not perfectly of course, but enough that driving is possible.

I suspect that in the end the power and control you would gain over your own life because you had your licence might make you less anxious overall.

A second thought about not moving except for better money - if you could prove to yourself that there was going to be a huge improvement to your life by moving, even though there was no money in it, I guess that could make sense. But I'd be very cautious about the possibility of thinking "Well, it just has to be better" - because no it doesn't.

"Four of my friends already live there, and they will help me, but nobody helps me where I am now" - that's proof. "I might make friends" - hmmmm, not proof, because you also might make friends by staying where you are.

Fuzzy12
05-25-17, 07:06 PM
I think you should get your licence. You will be so much less constrained and restricted once you can drive.