View Full Version : Sides for Imipramine aka Tofranil aka melipramine (the tricyclic antidepressant)?

notoutthewoods
05-25-17, 08:57 PM
My psychiatrist prescribed me 10mg of imipramine (aka tofranil aka melipramine) to take every night about 2-3 weeks ago.

I'm not familiar with "tricyclic antidepressants"...I've heard the name or term a lot before, but never really learned about them nor knew anyone who took them.

I feel as though it is making me a bit tired and sleepy. I also take Adderall and Lexapro....and those doses have not change for a while...But I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to put too much thought into how I've been feeling until the last couple of days, so I'm curious if there is a "consensus" about side effects from this particular anti-depressant

DJ Bill
05-26-17, 08:37 PM
What was the reason he prescribed that? I read somewhere that it is an older and less effective anti depressant....I took it myself back in the late 80's. I guess it kept me from suicide, but at what cost...

The main irritant for me was the really dry mouth it caused. I blame it for causing tooth issues that eventually led to dentures for me. Whether I am right or not....the dry mouth sure did not help. I tried sucking on hard candy, sugarless gum, lots of water, etc, but it really was annoying when I was talking and I needed water to be able to talk.

It took several weeks before I realized it was helping....but I normally stopped when the weather improved and fell back into the ditch come November or so, so back on it again.. for years. 1996 I got off of it for good.

That's just my experience, yours may be completely different as it really is different for everyone how drugs affect them.

Hope it works for you.

Little Missy
05-26-17, 08:49 PM
I took it for many years way back when and I LOVED it. Other than the dry mouth which always magically appeared right when I had something important to say.

It made me shop like a maniac because I was no longer agoraphobic when I took it. LOVED it. I didn't experience any tooth problems though.

If I had unlimited money, I'd take it again. Slept like a baby. Never even woke up to pee. It was great.

As time went on though, it made my blood pressure go WAY up and I began to have migraines. LOVED how I felt though!