View Full Version : Anybody try neurofeedback?

Celestedu
05-26-17, 01:11 PM
My son is 10 and has been in a remedial school for 3 years now. He is very inattentive and I've recently come across the Sluggish Cognitive Tempo information. It summarises his battles perfectly.

He was on Ritalin but he started getting eye tics and his appetite decreased significantly. He's severely underweight as it is and doesn't eat much.
We tried Concerta as well and it didn't help much. We took him off of meds completely as we didn't see a huge difference in his scholastic abilities.

He's now started Neurofeedback and has 8 sessions under the belt.
I briefly spoke to his teacher today and she hasn't noticed any difference as yet.

He goes back to mainstream schooling next year and I'm quite concerned.

Has anybody had success with neurofeedback?

Celestedu
06-28-17, 06:08 AM
A quick update- 17 sessions in and no change as yet ��

Unmanagable
06-28-17, 09:33 AM
After that many sessions with no visible changes, I'd say it's a safe bet that it clearly isn't the route for him. What kind of neurofeedback is it? There are so many nowadays.

I hesitate to use anything that is trying to use an external program of some sort to try to train my brain the way they feel it should best be working. I've never heard anyone who has tried those kinds saying they experienced any great symptom relief, but I've only spoken to a handful of folks who've actually tried it.

I experienced help several years ago via the neuroptimal neurofeedback method after only 6 sessions, so much so I was gifted the personal machine by the hubby that year for xmas. However, adhd is just a fraction of the things I deal with on a daily basis, so it's hard to gauge the effects on just one specific set of symptoms when they all overlap so much. I felt improvement in many areas in a rather short period of time, and that's all the proof I needed.

It's also in addition to many other therapeutic methods introduced along the way, including acupuncture, massage therapy, iridology, a master herbalist, etc., etc. All the so-called "woo woo" places I was taught to avoid at all costs most of my life, and the places insurance won't touch.

Luckily, I'm surrounded by healing practitioners who like to barter, or I'd likely be up s*** creek. I've already tried the meds route multiple times for my multiple issues and wasn't able to sustain that route thanks to my highly sensitive biology.

I still have many of the same symptoms as before, but seem to be able to at least better recognize the roots and how to better work with and through them, if that makes sense.

The method of neurofeedback I use doesn't have you sit and watch the screen, follow patterns, do tests, do homework, etc., etc. You just sit there with the nodes hooked up, ear buds in, kicked back in a zero-gravity lounge chair, and listen to the 35 minute program that runs, with music, as you relax, read, sleep, or watch the cool graphics on the screen as the music plays.

The professional who introduced me to it had the full set up where you could monitor your brain waves and such, but she often stressed to me that the data being displayed wasn't nearly as important as how I felt and if I experienced any changes in my struggles.

There were no major "A-ha!" moments, but rather slow subtle changes that happened over time in between sessions. Like, I no longer ate tons of food late at night, or I no longer lost my s*** and snapped at the least of things, or I no longer engaged in automatic nasty self talk towards myself, etc., etc.

I still lose stuff, forget my lists that I take great care to make, still run late or arrive way too early, still can't sit still for long or sit through a whole movie, still have to write everything down to remember, still have trouble retaining what I read, still have trouble with emotional regulation, etc., but just not quite as severe as before. I'm a continual work in progress dealing with what was pretty much diagnosed as a severe life, since every diagnosis I've received began with the word "severe".

I've done approximately 20-some sessions on myself in the last couple years, averaging once every couple months or so. I explain to others that it acts like a broom and dustpan as it travels my neural pathways, working to clean up the debris and roadkill left along the way so I have less to weed through when I need it to work the most. I explain it that way because I really suck at science-speak.

Celestedu
06-28-17, 10:41 AM
Thank you for your reply, what is the program called?

My son watches a movie for 30 minutes and each week they move the patches around to different parts of his brain.
Ritalin had made him develop some tics so that was a priority but they've been working on his theta waves to try and help with motivation and concentration.

Unmanagable
06-28-17, 10:55 AM
NeurOptimal is the name of the one that I feel I benefited from. I didn't begin using it until my mid to late 40s.

There's some other parents here who can likely provide much more clarity and direct experience than I can in attempting to treat a child.

My experiences are solely that of an older adult trying to find and retroactively gather and nurture all the pieces of me.