View Full Version : Vyvanse Question Regarding Duration of Action

UninsuredBites
05-27-17, 03:16 PM
I have been on Vyvanse for awhile now, and I keep finding myself wondering about the literature I find on Shire's website.
The average time, according to Shire, for the medicine to begin working is listed as 2hrs17min after dosing. It also states that the therapeutic life of each dose varies from patient to patient, but lists 12-14hrs. My question is, does the 12-14 hour therapeutic window begin at time of dosing, or 2hr17min after dosing? This is one of those questions that should be answered on Shire's site, but is not.

dvdnvwls
05-27-17, 04:47 PM
My opinion:
2.25 hours sounds like an overstatement to me. Works for me in 1.5 hours.

12-14 hours effective use is a ridiculous claim. It's far less.

bjimerson
05-28-17, 11:52 AM
Weird observation, but I have found that the duration depends on when I take my dose. Lately, I've noticed that if I wake up and take the Vyvanse, go back to bed, and wake up an hour later it lasts far longer into the day. On those days, I'm getting a full 12-13 hours. If I wait until I wake up and start my day before taking it, I'm lucky to get 8 hours. I don't understand it, but it seems like if I can get my day started off right from the moment I step out of bed, it works better.

sarahsweets
05-30-17, 04:41 AM
My resentments with vyvanse run deep mainly because it never lasted the purported 12 hours. It does work for a lot of people though but I still think that their 12-14 hours is a marketing strategy.

dvdnvwls
05-30-17, 02:44 PM
It works for me... Just not that many hours.

maple17
05-30-17, 09:23 PM
Works here too, but nowhere near 12-14 hours. I think maybe they got that result from one person in one trial and decided to run with it as a marketing pitch. :rolleyes:

Hcmsdigital
06-12-17, 02:36 PM
It really depends on person to person and a lot of the studies for these tests are geared towards younger child and in adults I cannot seem to find any literature on case studies. However, everyone is different and we all have different eating and sleeping patterns. I have been taking Vyvanse for almost 4 years and the last two I took 70 mg when I woke up and 20 mg of adderall around 1-2 pm when vyvanse wore off. The adderall mellowed me out from the vyvanse come down. That being said, it hasn't been an easy rode because with the higher doses you need more medications to help you sleep, and then you need more of the stimulant in the morning to wake you up so your not groggy. Not good at all! I took a 6 month break from all medications and although I gained almost 40 lbs I began to look into fighting ADHD without medications. I did CBT, learned strategies, and became more aware of when my ADHD was getting he best of me. That being said, I still need Vyvanse 50mg as it works very well for me - but at the lower dose I don't need any other medications.

sarahsweets
06-14-17, 12:51 PM
It really depends on person to person and a lot of the studies for these tests are geared towards younger child and in adults I cannot seem to find any literature on case studies.
http://www.vyvanse.com/adhd-in-adults
There has been quite a few studies regarding vyvanse and it being approved for adults. It is also approved for binge eating disorder.

That being said, it hasn't been an easy rode because with the higher doses you need more medications to help you sleep, and then you need more of the stimulant in the morning to wake you up so your not groggy. Not good at all!
If you find that higher doses interfere with your sleep you dont need more meds to help you sleep and relax, you need less vyvanse and adderall. And needing more vyvanse or adderall in the morning to combat being groggy from some other medicine for sleep and anxiety can easily be eliminated if you are taking less vyvanse overall. I think some of us want the cure-all to be in pill form without making some other changes in our lives. "Pills dont teach skills".

20thcenturyfox
06-16-17, 03:39 PM
There must be a few of us in whom Vyvanse lasts and lasts. If I don't take it before 7am, and then work like a fiend to burn it off during the day, I will be up dawdling past midnight. Because of this it's hard to take it consistently.

Adderal XR on the other hand not only "goes with the flow" better, but I can go to bed at any hour and sleep like a baby.

mcdisney
06-16-17, 09:27 PM
I'm new to Vyvanse (30 mg) and my diagnosis, but FWIW... I can feel it kick in 90 minutes after I take it like clockwork, and I begin to crash 6.5 hours after I take it. HTH!

JakeH99
06-23-17, 11:32 AM
Immediately after ingestion. I metabolize 70 mg of VyVanse like it's birthday cake. I get maybe 9-10 hours benefit MAX. It's entirely dependent on your metabolism and also genetic enzyme factors. Get tested with Genesight testing if you can. I metabolize all stimulants as fast as one possibly can and it's a complete pain in the booty if you get my drift. Metabolizing fast sounds great, but honestly it's a huge negative because I can hardly get anything to last in my system as every pill goes through me like a Ferrari does a drag race LOL. It's wayyyy fast and everything does that too that is a stimulant.

JakeH99
06-23-17, 11:40 AM
Well they say 12-14 hours in your system but therapeutic timespan is FAR LESS. It's so much about how long it's technically "active in your body" but that doesn't mean anything to how much benefit/therapeutic use one will get. I feel your resentments completely. I get maybe 8 hours or so of what I feel is of help to me but the extra time is just the medicine wearing off and me crashing into a state of daydreaming/fatigue/staring off into space lol. But, to answer your question, it is just a marketing strategy to try to increase the amount of people on the medicine because it's preferred by Medicaid. It is profit driven, yes. That being said, it's still a decent medicine I believe. It has it's ups and downs like any drug does. I can't stand anything like Concerta/Ritalin/Adderall tabs/Dex tabs. Capsules are my favorite and I need the long-lasting feel to get through the day without going ADHD hyperactive mad.

CharlesH
06-24-17, 03:22 PM
Well they say 12-14 hours in your system but therapeutic timespan is FAR LESS. It's so much about how long it's technically "active in your body" but that doesn't mean anything to how much benefit/therapeutic use one will get.

The 12-14 hour figure comes from PERMP, which is a math skills test administered to the test subjects throughout different point of the day. My guess is that it's capped at 14 hours because it'd be unethical to have test subject stay up all night long.

Plus, the drug would be detectable in the bloodstream for far longer than 14 hours. It takes roughly 5 or so half lives in general for medication to be completely cleared out, and half life of amphetamine is roughly 10 hours.