View Full Version : Why did you looked for help at first?

kalod123
05-28-17, 05:44 AM
Hello everyone! :)
I always wondered why other people with ADHD looked for help at first.
As for me, i had difficult times trying to study for college.

sarahsweets
05-29-17, 09:33 AM
Well since adhd must be present in childhood I was diagnosed with "an attention disorder" when I was in first grade. They didnt know about adhd by me. I wasnt medicated and also was bipolar II so I was medicated for that after my first child at around age 22 and then I began stimulants after that. I struggled with certain things my whole life including in childhood and never turned into an adult when I was supposed to.

aeon
05-29-17, 10:13 AM
I never looked for help. My doctor diagnosed me at age 41 nevertheless.

Cheers,
Ian

ToneTone
05-29-17, 01:40 PM
It was after my divorce and my parents were getting sick and I was feeling overwhelmed. I was also falling deeper into some compulsive and addictive behavior.

Went to my psychiatrist to ask for an increase in Wellbutrin XL. He upped the dose and the amazing happened: I felt organized; my mind got quiet; I wanted to plan things. Yes my mood improved, but it was the other improvements that startled me.

Did some reading and realized that for a lucky few, Wellbutrin can help with ADHD. Read up more on ADHD, found an ADHD therapist ... who gave me a long questionnaire ... she said I definitely fit the diagnosis from the questionnaire.

Later told the psychiatrist and he gave me a short questionnaire. Diagnosed by him as well.

And of course, that amazing initial effect with the Wellbutrin XL didn't last. So psychiatrist later added a stimulant.

Tone

peripatetic
05-29-17, 10:06 PM
i went through a number of different primary schools and so help found me.

i can say that's true not only for adhd, but for my other diagnoses as well.

i've never set out to find help. i don't really know what that says about me...maybe something unpleasant though...

Swissy
05-30-17, 04:10 AM
After complaining about fatigue, memory issues and a few other symptoms my pcp suggested ADD. I ignored it. Next visit he suggested again, and asked how I was in school. I did well, so then he suggested bipolar. I ignored him. I have some anxiety issues and for some reason I convinced myself being "labeled" was bad and I felt self conscious about medications. 3rd time he suggested it and I realized I was failing at life I sought help from a neurologist who confirmed ADD... at age 40. Who knew?!

psychopathetic
06-01-17, 09:40 PM
I got sick of jumping into things in life 120% with full passion and enthusiasm...just to drop that very thing a few weeks/months later like I'd never cared about it in the first place. I never understood why I did this.
It was college that finally did it for me. I was on the honor role and doing awesome. Then all my excitement and motivation just vanished and I ended up dropping.

Traveler5
06-02-17, 09:36 PM
About 6 years ago my young son was diagnosed with ADHD. I had heard about ADD/ADHD but did not know much about it so I got on the internet and started reading. After a while of reading, I realized I could personally relate to almost all of the symptoms when I was a kid and as an adult. Later on I went to the doctor to talk about it. He tested me and we talked about it at length. Before I left he gave me a prescription of Adderall. I can't say that taking the medication was an instant eye-opening experience. The realization that it was helping me was a slow and subtle process. It's been 5 years and I still struggle with things that no amount of ADHD medication can help, mainly an ultra low degree of motivation that has plagued me my whole life. It's just something I'll have to deal with.

heythere999
06-06-17, 11:45 PM
My life was going down the drain.

I was overweight, had horrible hygiene, was performing terribly at work OR I wasn't working, I wasn't doing well in school, I was constantly smoking, and constantly drinking. The comments I would receive from my employers would be stuff like "we've never seen anyone act like this" "we've never seen anyone so slow/incompetent" "do you even understand English?" etc.

I took Adderall once to study. But when I took it, for the first time in my life, I felt like my mind was connected, rather than completely disjointed. Finally got tested many months later and now I'm prescribed. Life has improved so, so much, and this is only while being prescribed for 4 hours a day.

Jenn1202
06-07-17, 12:04 AM
When I was in middle school my school said I was slacking off and failing to reach my full potential, so they wanted me to get evaluated for learning disabilities. Then in high school I was really frustrated all the time because I could never finish tests on time no matter how hard I tried and how well I knew the material (I would get internally distracted all the time). I also had a bunch of other ADD-related issues that I found creative ways to get around. At some point my workarounds stopped working and I couldn't get anything done.

Aliiciia
06-08-17, 02:25 PM
My roommate is in medical school and she has been noticing my habits and patterns and after about a month of living together she suggested I should get tested. She felt more confident recommending it for me after many times of leaving the cupboards open, the way I clean etc.
I hate that it took so long for me to realize it but it makes sense because I know my mom is very ADD and she will never admit it in a million years. She actually discouraged me from going to Psychiatrist when I mentioned to her I was going to get evaluated.

sarahsweets
06-09-17, 04:13 AM
My roommate is in medical school and she has been noticing my habits and patterns and after about a month of living together she suggested I should get tested. She felt more confident recommending it for me after many times of leaving the cupboards open, the way I clean etc.
I hate that it took so long for me to realize it but it makes sense because I know my mom is very ADD and she will never admit it in a million years. She actually discouraged me from going to Psychiatrist when I mentioned to her I was going to get evaluated.
I would be really annoyed if my room mate suggested adhd over cupboards and cleaning lol.