View Full Version : Adderall XR only helped to make me more anxious

TADA45
05-28-17, 06:05 PM
Hello, I was recently prescribed 20MG of generic Adderall Xr with instructions to take two 20MG capsules if one isn't working. For the first two days I took 20MG and it only increased my anxiety and I was even less useless. On the third day I tried 40MG in the morning, and for the whole day I experienced the worst anxiety possible with panic attacks. I had suicidal thoughts and I just could not find I place to hide from all of the feelings. It make me focus on my anxiety and I spent the whole day researching different diseases on the net thinking I got everything. Today, two weeks later I tried taking 20MG again and with same results. Does it mean I don't have ADD or should I ask for Ritalin or just give up? I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 5 years ago. And I've been taking Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor and Alprazolam. However all of the medications at different doses were completely useless. My doctor now thinks that I might actually have ADD since my inattentive rating is very high. Are there any other meds that might work better than adderall? Thanks :D

Quiescent
05-28-17, 09:03 PM
Strattera is a soft stimulant. It works to decrease norepinephrine reuptake, and increases serotonin. Adderall caused my bipolar mixed episodes. Hyperactivity can increase on Adderall (enough that as a child I became overstimulated and threw my body on the floor screaming and crying in the grocery store for the 9 years I was on it until Strattera came out).

dvdnvwls
05-28-17, 10:21 PM
Adderall does cause anxiety in some people who do OK on other stimulants instead, so don't give up.

TADA45
05-28-17, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the replies :) I do currently take Effexor 150MG. From what I understand It's like Strattera or wellbutrin.

sarahsweets
05-29-17, 08:11 AM
Hello, I was recently prescribed 20MG of generic Adderall Xr with instructions to take two 20MG capsules if one isn't working. For the first two days I took 20MG and it only increased my anxiety and I was even less useless. On the third day I tried 40MG in the morning, and for the whole day I experienced the worst anxiety possible with panic attacks. I had suicidal thoughts and I just could not find I place to hide from all of the feelings. It make me focus on my anxiety and I spent the whole day researching different diseases on the net thinking I got everything. Today, two weeks later I tried taking 20MG again and with same results. Does it mean I don't have ADD or should I ask for Ritalin or just give up? I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 5 years ago. And I've been taking Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor and Alprazolam. However all of the medications at different doses were completely useless. My doctor now thinks that I might actually have ADD since my inattentive rating is very high. Are there any other meds that might work better than adderall? Thanks :D

I am surprised that you started out on 20mg. The lowest dose is 5mg and even though people complain about starting that low, it is for the reasons you mentioned. It does not mean that you do not have adhd. How someone responds to stimulants has nothing to do with whether or not you have adhd. Thats why they are son abused on college campus's. it could be that your starting dose was just too high or that you need a different medication.. When is your follow up appt? If you do not have one I suggest you make one.

TADA45
05-29-17, 03:33 PM
Actually, my psychiatrist never offered me any type of stimulant, instead it was my PCP that prescribed Adderall. Psychiatrist just increased the dosage of Effexor to 150MG and told me to see him in two weeks. Nothing ever helped me and I can tell that he really doesn't care if something helps or not. Fortunately my PCP has known me for 5 years and she knows that I would never abuse any meds or drugs that's why she prescribed Adderall. No matter what medication I take, I only respond to higher doses I guess it has to do with me being 6"2' and I weight 310LB. Should I ask her for Brand Ritalin? I'm just so tired with not being to function normally.

sarahsweets
05-30-17, 04:37 AM
But your reactions do sound like too high of a dose but come to think of it, is it possible that its too low? I would try other medications in this class at different doses first before switching to ritalin which is in the methylphenidate class of drugs vs amphetamines.