View Full Version : Is Nortrilen (nortryptiline) an option with less sexual issues?

baasje91
05-29-17, 03:35 PM
Hi there,

I have a lot of sexual issues on Strattera. Been on 60,80 and 100 mg. Now om 60 mg for 1 week and still have ED and no libido. Im on Strattera since January. Is Nortrilen an option? Or did it have the same issues n side effects?

dvdnvwls
05-29-17, 04:38 PM
Nortryptiline isn't known for having a useful effect on ADHD.

What about the possibility of a stimulant? They usually work best for ADHD.

baasje91
05-30-17, 01:33 AM
Ij the Netherlands, nortrilen is useful for adhd. My doc don't prefer stimulants because i have anxiety and depression

sarahsweets
05-30-17, 04:13 AM
Ij the Netherlands, nortrilen is useful for adhd. My doc don't prefer stimulants because i have anxiety and depression

You might want to consider another doctor. Its been proven that stimulants can actually reduce the anxiety that is often associated with adhd.

cwf1986
05-30-17, 04:20 AM
I take nortriptyline. It has no effect for me personally.

It's known to either increase libido and decrease time to climax, decrease libido and increase time to climax, and to have no effect at all.

It's what's known as a 'broad spectrum' medicine meaning that it targets many receptors so which side effects are going to effect you personally are hard to predict.

It does help me with adhd some. Mostly it helps me stay on task and switch task. It helps a lot with anxiety and helps me feel emotions better rather than just being numb. It also completely fixes my nervous stomach syndrome which is similar to IBS and fixes my allergies and congestion better than any other script I've had meant for allergies :) It does almost nothing for motivation or conscientiousness so I take adderall for that. Intuniv helps a lot with my adhd 'restlessness'. That feeling of constant unease and always wanting to move and fidget.

The studies I've glanced at suggest that nortriptyline is effective for adhd, but doesn't work very well for attention and focus. Desipramine seems to be a better tricyclic in that regard and known to be much more activating. I don't have any experience with that one.

Who knows, with some luck you may find that Nortriptyline helps you out with all 3 of your issues.

dvdnvwls
05-30-17, 02:41 PM
If something works, I'm not going to argue.

One thing I can say for sure: The exact way that these medications work is not known. We have a few clues, that they target this receptor or that one, etc, but no one understands the complete picture of what goes on. So... If it works, it works.