View Full Version : Concerta causing some sort of depression?

ohlookakitty
05-30-17, 10:30 AM
Was on 18mg and switched to 36mg. Works good.

The only thing is ever since I've been on 36mg, my emotion has been stunned and over the weekend I ended up breaking up with my g/f after her long episodes of high strung anxiety that always resulted in her talking about a break up for the last year or so. Two weekends ago she was pretty sure she was done with the relationship. Sad but the day after my emotions went completely numb as if someone had turned off a switch inside.

But I wasn't sad. I'm looking forward to going out with my friends. I feel suffocated and have this strong desire to start a new life. This isn't me honestly as I'm more co-dependent.

Is it the Concerta possibly? I've been on the 18mg for two months before switching to 36mg recently.

So I'm not sure if it's because of her anxiety (not medicated or seeing a counselor) that pushed me to just shut down emotionally and/or there's possible side effects with the Concerta.

Thoughts?

sarahsweets
05-31-17, 05:00 AM
Was on 18mg and switched to 36mg. Works good.

The only thing is ever since I've been on 36mg, my emotion has been stunned and over the weekend I ended up breaking up with my g/f after her long episodes of high strung anxiety that always resulted in her talking about a break up for the last year or so. Two weekends ago she was pretty sure she was done with the relationship. Sad but the day after my emotions went completely numb as if someone had turned off a switch inside.
It sounds like the break-up thing is a reoccurring thing. Are you sure its the concerta?

But I wasn't sad. I'm looking forward to going out with my friends. I feel suffocated and have this strong desire to start a new life. This isn't me honestly as I'm more co-dependent.

Do you mean seriously ci-dependent? Or are you using the term loosely? Real co-dependency involves an emeshment of people and is so hard to break out of. Someone who just tends to stick it out when someone else gets emotional might have issues with guilt or hurting people but not necessarily co-dependent.

Is it the Concerta possibly? I've been on the 18mg for two months before switching to 36mg recently.

So I'm not sure if it's because of her anxiety (not medicated or seeing a counselor) that pushed me to just shut down emotionally and/or there's possible side effects with the Concerta.

Thoughts?
It sounds more like its her anxiety because you mentioned that she has done this sort of thing before. Talk to your doctor either way.

ohlookakitty
06-01-17, 09:48 AM
It sounds like the break-up thing is a reoccurring thing. Are you sure its the concerta?

That's what my counselor said to watch for as far as my feeling for the next week. I do feel great with it though I have to take really early in the morning or I'm not tired until almost midnight.

Do you mean seriously ci-dependent? Or are you using the term loosely? Real co-dependency involves an emeshment of people and is so hard to break out of. Someone who just tends to stick it out when someone else gets emotional might have issues with guilt or hurting people but not necessarily co-dependent.

Good question, I did not know this. I always felt lost and alone without someone (I grew up in a Cult so...there was a lot of controlling factor).

It sounds more like its her anxiety because you mentioned that she has done this sort of thing before. Talk to your doctor either way.

She saw a counselor the other day and confirmed she has severe anxiety. She'll be going through intense therapy as she has PTSD from her childhood (alcoholic parent). I'm seeing my counselor weekly so I'll definitely report back if any major changes happen.