View Full Version : Anyone else having an INSANELY hard time choosing a career path?

heythere999
05-31-17, 02:19 AM
Currently 22. I've been on Adderall for... 5? Or so months.

Before Adderall, my grades in college were... not so good. I had a semester where I started off with 15 units, ended with 3, and I got a C in that class. I had one good semester (but it was a short month-long semester with 2 easy classes), but other than that, if I managed a 3.0+ (which was maybe once) I considered myself lucky.

During this time, I also had no idea what I wanted to do. I started off as a business major because my dad was a business man and my brother is one too. I decided after a few classes that it isn't for me (I probably could have continued this if I was on Adderall though tbh).

I then changed my major to Computer Science. Mainly because my old group of friends (with mostly horrible grades) were convinced that you had to be involved in stuff like this to be someone worth a damn.

I don't know why I kept persisting after the highest grade I got in 4 Comp Sci classes was a C, but once I got my Adderall prescription I finally said: this obviously isn't the major for me. To say that I suck at coding is putting it mildly.

Anyways, my grades started boosting and this semester I finally got a 3.8 while working 30+ hours.

At the moment, one of the fields I'm considering is Psychology. I took a Psych class this semester; for one of the exams, the professor sent out an email saying that someone received a 98% on the exam which has never happened on any of his exams. That person was me. I received a 96% in the class with little effort. I absolutely love studying the human mind and I would love to help people with their problems or perhaps use knowledge of the human mind for other (good) purposes that could make me decent money.

However, with my school, Psychology is impacted, and my GPA is almost at a 3.0 (it will be once I fix an F for a class I forgot to drop on-time a year ago). I'm wondering if my high performance in my Psych class could help...? Would this be a path worth exploring? No clue.

Another thing: when I was a little kid, I used to be very involved with singing. I was in a choir for 3 years, and I was the one given most (if not all; can't really remember) solo performances. I was also in 4 musicals. I also had a vocal coach for a couple of years and she even started paying me to sing at events. I was a little 11/12/13-year-old kid and out of all her clients (some 30+), I was the one getting offers.

I stopped singing because I was a closeted kid at the time. I associated singing with being gay. So I stopped. Once college started I was also a heavy smoker for 3 years.

But luckily I have pretty great lungs (one time I held my breath for as long as I could while I was a heavy smoker, and I managed 3 minutes and 16 seconds) and I've mostly recovered.

I tried out for my university's School of Music, which is in the Top 20 Music schools in the nation. I applied late, so I had to submit an online application of me singing, and I also had to come in to sing in front of the department chair.

After 10 seconds of singing, the department chair said "Wow, you have a beautiful voice" and immediately began discussing my schedule.

As for the online portion of my application... I realized I accidentally applied for Master's school (as opposed to Bachelor's)... and I accidentally got in!

And some people tell me I have a beautiful voice. I've had numerous people tell me that I should make a career out of my voice whether it be voice acting or singing or what-have-you. And these were unprovoked comments. Like they had heard me sing from a clip I sent to a mutual friend, or they just commented on the sound of my voice. I've even had a customer at work tell me my voice is "sexy" through drive-thru lol.

I also don't feel like I'm delusional.

But at the same time I'm always worried that I AM delusional. I only have the courage to sing when I'm home alone and in my shower, and when I'm going 40+ MPH in my car. Otherwise, forget about it I'm not going to sing. So I would have no idea how that's going to work.

I've also had dreams of being a scriptwriter, since I constantly daydream about video game and movie plots on a daily basis. I've been doing it since I was 4 and I still do it. I actually wrote a (horrible) practice movie script in high school and I loved writing it. But I decided that it's not a path worth pursuing because I'd much prefer writing for video games over movies, and in the video game industry, they typically don't just hire writers. They usually have a programmer on their team write for them. And, as I've already stated, programming to me is hell on Earth.

Long story short.... I'm 22 and I still have no idea what the **** I want to do with my life and I'm getting worried. Even though I've been getting my **** together this is still an issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

(And obviously, if anyone can offer advice :) )

sarahsweets
05-31-17, 04:20 AM
Im 42 now,and also used to sing and do theater. I have a BA in English Lit and a minor in theater. I am a mom. No career to speak of at this point and no idea what I want to do when I grow up.

Fuzzy12
05-31-17, 04:24 AM
Yes and I'm 38!!

My only advice is don't depend on your voice for a career (at least none that sill earn you a decent living ). In the music business I think talent and skill are not enough. I guess a lot is just down to opportunity ajd meeting yhe right people.

If programming is hell on earth forget about that.

I'd have loved to study psychology in particular biopsychology so Im totally biased but to me that sounds like a great idea. But yeah totally biased.

If you are really interested there are entire lecture series on YouTube that you can watch to see if you are truly interested. My favourite is called I think human behaviour theory by Robert sapolsky. I can also highly recommend the introductory course on psychology given by John Gabrieli at MIT. This is the link

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/brain-and-cognitive-sciences/9-00sc-introduction-to-psychology-fall-2011/introduction/

If you don't find either of these interesting then I'd guess that you'd struggle with this field.

Pilgrim
05-31-17, 10:45 AM
Im 42 now,and also used to sing and do theater. I have a BA in English Lit and a minor in theater. I am a mom. No career to speak of at this point and no idea what I want to do when I grow up.

This actually sounds a lot like me.
Work, work, work be realistic but don't stop dreaming there yours. In regards to study, do something you can complete that will at least pay the bills.

heythere999
05-31-17, 03:26 PM
I'd like to add that someone from my choir when I was in middle school/elementary is now a pretty famous singer lol

Yeah that's why I'd think Psychology is the way to go, but I also want to see if I can do anything with Music :/ man.

aur462
05-31-17, 09:48 PM
It took to me until I was 30 to get out of my head enough to find interest in a career - IT and networking. After a solid start, after about 8 years, my career lulled.

After getting away from my "identity" as a "computer guy" (just about everything within this field sparked my interest at one time or another), I finally disengaged this faux identity enough to realize I'd like to go back to school and get a master's in journalism. I'm working on building my portfolio for submission to the grad school by end of summer. God help me.

I was pretty fulfilled for a few years in my 30's but had trouble directing my focus to subcareers within IT and languished. Things like learning Cisco routing - bored me to tears - and web design - also pretty unfulfilling, and some half-hearted efforts in learning program languages finally culminated in my realization that I was subconsciously attributing this stuff to being part of my DNA and couldn't see paths outside of this focus. It's scary to think how hard it was to "move on".

heythere999
06-01-17, 04:24 AM
It took to me until I was 30 to get out of my head enough to find interest in a career - IT and networking. After a solid start, after about 8 years, my career lulled.

After getting away from my "identity" as a "computer guy" (just about everything within this field sparked my interest at one time or another), I finally disengaged this faux identity enough to realize I'd like to go back to school and get a master's in journalism. I'm working on building my portfolio for submission to the grad school by end of summer. God help me.

I was pretty fulfilled for a few years in my 30's but had trouble directing my focus to subcareers within IT and languished. Things like learning Cisco routing - bored me to tears - and web design - also pretty unfulfilling, and some half-hearted efforts in learning program languages finally culminated in my realization that I was subconsciously attributing this stuff to being part of my DNA and couldn't see paths outside of this focus. It's scary to think how hard it was to "move on".

I definitely feel like, ESPECIALLY for people who have ADHD, a career based on something they aren't naturally passionate about is a death sentence.

sarahsweets
06-01-17, 05:48 AM

I actually did really well with saying this, usually I say "just a mom".