View Full Version : Can you guys please read and tell me if it's sounds like ADHD? Long post

TADA45
05-31-17, 09:28 PM
Hello, I desperately need your help to see if my symptoms and writing style seems like ADHD. I've already seen doctors for my problems and I just want to know what you guys think about my symptoms. So basically, I was always shy as a child and I always had problems paying attention in school. I was often told by my teachers that I'm a good and quiet child but I never pay any attention and it seems like I'm somewhere else. If I found the subject to be boring like almost anything in school no matter how much I tried to concentrate I would not understand what I had to do.

In middle school I was verbally bullied almost everyday and it made me develop terrible social anxiety and depression with suicidal thoughts. I switched to homeschooling soon after going to 9th grade in highschool. I was 18 when I first went to my doctor to seek help got the social anxiety because I could not even make it to the job interview. She prescribed me 0.25MG Alprazolam but of course it didn't help at all. Luckily I managed to get a job as paid caregiver for my grandfather otherwise I have no idea what I would do. Next five years my regular doctor tried treating me for SA, GAD and Depression but nothing helped at all. Medications that she tried were: Alprazolam, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin and Provigil. Some of these medications I had to take in combination.

After seeing psychiatrist he prescribed me 150MG Effexor and it's been two months but no relief. FINALLY here are the symptoms that I experience, Extremely hard to concentrate on repetitive work or something that I don't enjoy. On other hand when I start doing something interesting, work is almost effortless until the task is no longer interesting. When it gets boring even when I try really hard I make mistakes and I become very irritable. Even little tring can set me up. For example if someone starts tailgating me when I'm driving I suddenly get depressed and very irritable and it takes every effort not to brake check that person.

On other hand even when I'm depressed and someone smiles or holds a door for it makes me feel like something great just happened and life is enjoyable again. It's just little things have huge affect on me. Sorry for the long post :D Does it sound anything like ADHD?

sarahsweets
06-01-17, 06:07 AM
Hello, I desperately need your help to see if my symptoms and writing style seems like ADHD. I've already seen doctors for my problems and I just want to know what you guys think about my symptoms.
Obviously we have no medical training to confirm a diagnosis but we can share our experiences.

So basically, I was always shy as a child and I always had problems paying attention in school. I was often told by my teachers that I'm a good and quiet child but I never pay any attention and it seems like I'm somewhere else. If I found the subject to be boring like almost anything in school no matter how much I tried to concentrate I would not understand what I had to do.
A lot of us struggled with material we didnt find interesting but the same can be said for anyone.

In middle school I was verbally bullied almost everyday and it made me develop terrible social anxiety and depression with suicidal thoughts. I switched to homeschooling soon after going to 9th grade in highschool. I was 18 when I first went to my doctor to seek help got the social anxiety because I could not even make it to the job interview. She prescribed me 0.25MG Alprazolam but of course it didn't help at all. Luckily I managed to get a job as paid caregiver for my grandfather otherwise I have no idea what I would do.
Thats so sad. Its terrible to be bullied and I believe it can cause or contribute to SAD and GAD and other anxiety issues.

Next five years my regular doctor tried treating me for SA, GAD and Depression but nothing helped at all. Medications that she tried were: Alprazolam, Celexa, Lexapro, Wellbutrin and Provigil. Some of these medications I had to take in combination.
After seeing psychiatrist he prescribed me 150MG Effexor and it's been two months but no relief. FINALLY here are the symptoms that I experience:

Have you been diagnosed with adhd?

Extremely hard to concentrate on repetitive work or something that I don't enjoy. On other hand when I start doing something interesting, work is almost effortless until the task is no longer interesting. When it gets boring even when I try really hard I make mistakes and I become very irritable. Even little tring can set me up. For example if someone starts tailgating me when I'm driving I suddenly get depressed and very irritable and it takes every effort not to brake check that person.

Like I said, thats very typical of people with adhd, but its also just plain typical. Many people have issues paying attention to stuff they do not find interesting.

On other hand even when I'm depressed and someone smiles or holds a door for it makes me feel like something great just happened and life is enjoyable again. It's just little things have huge affect on me. Sorry for the long post :D Does it sound anything like ADHD?
I am not a doctor but to me, it sounds like its your anxiety which can be devastating. I dont know that it reminds me of adhd but I am not saying you do not have it. Do you have a psyche that you see? What do they say about adhd?

TADA45
06-01-17, 06:57 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply! Doctor says it could be depression, anxiety, learning disorder or ADHD. However treatments for depression and anxiety never have helped. Even with mild depression and anxiety I still experience every inattentive parts of ADHD and impulsiveness. Doctor also sent me to four hour learning evaluation test. Not sure what's that for and what I should experience there. I'm 100% sure that there are no tests that can definitely say that it is ADHD or it isn't.

sarahsweets
06-04-17, 06:44 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply! Doctor says it could be depression, anxiety, learning disorder or ADHD. However treatments for depression and anxiety never have helped. Even with mild depression and anxiety I still experience every inattentive parts of ADHD and impulsiveness. Doctor also sent me to four hour learning evaluation test. Not sure what's that for and what I should experience there. I'm 100% sure that there are no tests that can definitely say that it is ADHD or it isn't.

Is this four hour test expensive and is it covered by your insurance company?

Little Missy
06-04-17, 06:48 AM
If I had to take a four hour test to determine if I have ADHD I'd make them pay me first.

ginniebean
06-04-17, 12:33 PM
Here is the problem. Anyone can make a list and make it sound like adhd. People do it all the time. If you are struggling go get a diagnosis. You alreadt know, self doubt aside, if something is wrong.

It is rare i think for inattentives to have problems with social cues, so likely combined type. Go and see, what do you have to lose?

TADA45
06-04-17, 11:41 PM
Here is the problem. Anyone can make a list and make it sound like adhd. People do it all the time. If you are struggling go get a diagnosis. You alreadt know, self doubt aside, if something is wrong.

It is rare i think for inattentives to have problems with social cues, so likely combined type. Go and see, what do you have to lose?

Yup, going there in 2 days.

TADA45
06-04-17, 11:42 PM

It's only going to cost me $15 and insurance will cover the rest.

TADA45
06-04-17, 11:44 PM
If I had to take a four hour test to determine if I have ADHD I'd make them pay me first.

Everyday of the last month, I've been thinking of canceling that appointment. I'm not sure how useful it actually is since there are no test to diagnose ADHD accurately.

aeon
06-05-17, 12:44 AM
It is rare i think for inattentives to have problems with social cues...

Why do you think this?

Wondering,
Ian

dvdnvwls
06-05-17, 01:45 AM
I have inattentive ADHD. I handle some social cues OK, but others sail right past me.

My armchair theorizing: girls are (at least stereotypically) under a lot of pressure to be socially aware, and are (at least stereotypically) rewarded more for appearing socially graceful and punished more for appearing socially ungraceful - especially by each other.

So maybe ginniebean was referring primarily to girls?

TADA45
06-07-17, 02:02 AM

Finally got done with that 4 hour test at the clinic. They found that I have problems with long term memory and it takes me longer to process information. From those tests they concluded that I have moderate ADHD or ADD. I tried to answer every question on that test the best I could, so I did not cheat. I'm not sure that's even possible, there are no simple question where you just feel out your symptoms.

sarahsweets
06-08-17, 04:44 AM
Finally got done with that 4 hour test at the clinic. They found that I have problems with long term memory and it takes me longer to process information. From those tests they concluded that I have moderate ADHD or ADD. I tried to answer every question on that test the best I could, so I did not cheat. I'm not sure that's even possible, there are no simple question where you just feel out your symptoms.
I am glad it worked out for you. Its rare to have someone be told to take tests that arent even valid for diagnosing adhd, have them be covered by insurance and not be greasing the pockets of a doctor, AND have the conclusion be adhd.
Well played.

TADA45
06-11-17, 04:57 PM
I am glad it worked out for you. Its rare to have someone be told to take tests that arent even valid for diagnosing adhd, have them be covered by insurance and not be greasing the pockets of a doctor, AND have the conclusion be adhd.
Well played.

Yeah, I'm glad to be done with that part. It wasn't fun at all.