View Full Version : This sucks.

ThisIsBoring
06-01-17, 03:03 PM
I will try to keep it brief.

My job is all about paperwork. I am so far behind it isn't funny. Someone with a gun to my head couldn't motivate me at this point. Every day, I come in, and I make new excuses. Part of the reason is because it's boring. Part of the reason is because I get distracted. And part of it is because if one more person critiques my work and comments on my "lack of attention to detail" well...it's not going to be good.

I need to figure out a solution to all this, ASAP.

Short explanation- I need this job and cannot work anywhere else for the foreseeable future due to circumstances beyond my control. Please respect this, as I'm here to discuss ADHD, not that topic.

I also work as a waitress...where I do perfectly fine, because everything is chaotic and busy and not boring. If I could do that type of job full-time, I would.

In school, I was smart but bored easily. Never paid attention, did well here and there if I found something interesting. College, I got a B+ in Calculus (because it was interesting/hard) and I would get low Bs/Cs in stupid general ed classes. Always forgetful, always scatterbrained.

I talk a lot and constantly interrupt people no matter how much I don't want to. I just do.

The part of my job that involves interacting with people, I'm really good at. I like talking to people and helping them understand things. I'm good at that sort of thing, ironically.

If it's written down, I can learn it, which is why I did good in college. If you explain verbal instructions, you might as well not bother, because I CANNOT learn things that way. I had such problems in the military with that- explain something really quickly, and then we have to do it. I was always confused.

I have an appointment soon with WPIC UPMC in Pittsburgh if anyone has ever gone there.

I'm also on some medications- Zoloft, Geodon and Topomax- although I would be willing to get off some of them to get on an ADHD drug, as it is currently the biggest problem in my life.

Just want to hear others' experiences being diagnosed, starting meds, treatment, how it helped- especially with work.

Thanks.

emperorpenguin
06-02-17, 02:01 PM
Just want to hear others' experiences being diagnosed, starting meds, treatment, how it helped- especially with work.

It's been a Godsend for me; my only regret is having failed to recognize/attribute my symptoms and seek treatment earlier. I could have sorted out so many things years ago and avoided an enormous amount of pain and difficulty for myself and those around me. I was, for a long time, an ADHD skeptic--one of those who goes around asserting that it's just an excuse for Big Bad Pharma to peddle meds. I feel stupid and guilty about that, now that I'm diagnosed, taking those meds and finding them incredibly effective. But I'm learning and making changes now, and I've learned the humility not to dismiss anyone else's concerns or conditions (nor my own, for that matter!). I've only been in treatment a few months but am already seeing major benefits--both at work and at home.

Your description of being able to focus perfectly well on things that interest you, but being completely unable to focus on boring things that you have to get done...is probably THE definitive, hallmark ADHD symptom. I'd wager that most of the people on this board can relate to that. It causes a lot of confusion and missed diagnoses for ADHD sufferers and their loved ones...if I'm perfectly able to focus on some things, how can I have ADHD? If little Billy can play video games for 6 hours with laser-like focus, how can he genuinely find it impossible to pay attention in school? Well, as it turns out, that's actually very much the norm! Our brains are naturally deficient in dopamine and crave extra stimulation; they don't work well without it. That's one of the reasons that ADHD sufferers, as a population, are unfortunately more prone to risky behavior like substance abuse, extramarital affairs, etc. It's just the way we're wired--but it CAN be helped.

Take a holistic approach to your treatment: diet, sleep, exercise, meditation, etc. The brain is part of the body, which sounds obvious enough but is often forgotten. I highly recommend the book "Healing ADD" by Daniel Amen. Meds are an adjunct--a highly effective one for many--but they can't compensate for underlying disorders/deficiencies (should you have any) for any length of time.

You stand to make enormous improvements in your life if you do this right. Use the resources available here and elsewhere, educate yourself, be your own healthcare advocate and go to your providers as an informed consumer. Good luck!