View Full Version : Essential oils and medication

ivry321
06-01-17, 03:27 PM
Question for all that can answer.

My wife has been dabbling in essentiol oils, always bugging me to try this instead of the adderal.

So I took a 30mg time released and she gave me some peepermint,to inhale for allergies and lavendor and frankensense to rub on my neck and arms.

My head went through the roof and pulse up to 120 really bad reaction.

There may be a couple other reasons why this happened but i wanted to get some feed back for you guys if there is any .

thanks

Dave

Gypsy Willow
06-01-17, 04:07 PM
I have a friend who uses it on her 7 year old extremely ADHD son and he's doing great. His teachers have even commented on the difference.

sarahsweets
06-04-17, 06:27 AM
I cant imagine that this would work on something like adhd. Smells are wonderful and can be very rewarding but I do not think they are an effective treatment for adhd or other disorders. My brother is an RN, massage therapist and knows Reki(sp). He has given me some wonderful help relaxing with essential oils but he would never go so far as to say they are treatment for something like adhd.

dvdnvwls
06-04-17, 04:03 PM
Essential oils do not treat ADHD in the slightest.

Used well, they can improve your mood and give you a nice feeling, and there's nothing wrong with that. But as ADHD treatment? Zero.

ADHD treatment is about doing better, not about feeling better.

Gypsy Willow
06-05-17, 02:28 PM
Essential oils do not treat ADHD in the slightest.

Used well, they can improve your mood and give you a nice feeling, and there's nothing wrong with that. But as ADHD treatment? Zero.

ADHD treatment is about doing better, not about feeling better.

^^^ This^^^.

When my friend told me her son is doing better, I think it's more of a placebo effect. Maybe he is was on the wrong ADD meds or something.

I don't know, but as an ADD'er. I don't think any of the "natural" crap helps.

dvdnvwls
06-05-17, 03:41 PM
Second-hand placebo - mother feels better because she thinks something good is being done.

peripatetic
06-05-17, 07:17 PM
Question for all that can answer.

My wife has been dabbling in essentiol oils, always bugging me to try this instead of the adderal.

So I took a 30mg time released and she gave me some peepermint,to inhale for allergies and lavendor and frankensense to rub on my neck and arms.

My head went through the roof and pulse up to 120 really bad reaction.

There may be a couple other reasons why this happened but i wanted to get some feed back for you guys if there is any .

thanks

Dave

i thought you weren't supposed to apply them directly to your skin? isn't that what makes it aromatherapy?

i'm not well versed in such things, but have been told that they aren't to be.

that may be what caused your reaction though...?

Unmanagable
06-05-17, 09:02 PM
I hope by "dabbling" you mean she is thoroughly educating herself via reputable teachers/practitioners to learn how to safely and correctly use them.

You should always sample and test before using any of that stuff full blown.

From what I understand in my couple years of dabbling alongside a master herbalist/acupuncturist/massage therapist, ingesting them is a big no-no and direct skin contact requires very particular carrier oils to safely dilute them.

There are other folks who think ingesting them is fine and even highly recommend it, but it doesn't set well with my instinctual responses, regardless of what any study says.

Each substance we use, be it natural, self-made, over the counter, via prescription, via what we ingest or apply or breathe, period, should be very well understood by us before partaking.

dvdnvwls
06-06-17, 04:39 AM
... But we don't and can't truly understand all the substances we'll ever use. Many many important substances, no one understands. But we still use them.

I think it's probably more to the point to recommend that people be careful of who they choose to trust.

Most substances that can't do any harm, also can't do any good. So keep in mind that anyone doing good medical-related work with you is going to be giving you dangerous substances - and you don't want just anybody to be doing that. Do your homework - make certain that every person treating you is qualified to be doing what they're doing.

Unmanagable
06-06-17, 10:09 AM
... But we don't and can't truly understand all the substances we'll ever use. Many many important substances, no one understands. But we still use them.

I think it's probably more to the point to recommend that people be careful of who they choose to trust.

Most substances that can't do any harm, also can't do any good. So keep in mind that anyone doing good medical-related work with you is going to be giving you dangerous substances - and you don't want just anybody to be doing that. Do your homework - make certain that every person treating you is qualified to be doing what they're doing.

There are many times when very qualified individuals also offer very poor advice along with the very harmful substances that end up causing more harm than good. I'm a living example. Luckily still living.

Look at the stats on the leading causes of death in the US. If I remember correctly, medical errors are working their way to the top, currently holding the number 3 spot. How comforting. You'd think all those highly qualified folks could do a bit better.

Had I not made it a point to learn more about various substances myself, along with how my biology does or doesn't recognize it, breaks it down, absorbs it, and then eliminates it, including but not limited to prescription meds, desperately trying to undo the damage of the so called experts, I would still be stuck in substance hell in more ways than one.

Do your homework and learn about the substances, too, not just the individual expert dishing it out. Ask questions and do research using reputable sources until you innerstand. They are supposed to be working WITH us to improve our health, not just for us.

Blindly taking things just because someone is highly qualified on paper can be just as harmful as taking things from someone who isn't, as my experiences painfully and repeatedly taught me.

Learn about both the professional you are trusting as well as each substance they suggest you take. Or not. It's always a choice. Being an informed and mindful consumer from all angles is never a bad idea.

dvdnvwls
06-06-17, 05:24 PM
I'm not at all saying to only trust credentials.

I'm saying don't trust someone based on irrelevant information. Some credentials are irrelevant. Some recommendations are irrelevant.

Shying away from those with credentials just because of a feeling that credentials=bad, however, is about as counterproductive a move as one could make. Of course take into account that credentials in one area don't apply to some other area, and do remember that there are special cases - but if you find that you're always a special case in every situation, it becomes something that needs to be investigated in a different direction - e.g. what might be called special snowflake syndrome, psychologically enjoying being different just for its own sake. Nobody is a special case every time.

Unmanagable
06-06-17, 09:45 PM
I'm not at all saying to only trust credentials.

I'm saying don't trust someone based on irrelevant information. Some credentials are irrelevant. Some recommendations are irrelevant.

Shying away from those with credentials just because of a feeling that credentials=bad, however, is about as counterproductive a move as one could make. Of course take into account that credentials in one area don't apply to some other area, and do remember that there are special cases - but if you find that you're always a special case in every situation, it becomes something that needs to be investigated in a different direction - e.g. what might be called special snowflake syndrome, psychologically enjoying being different just for its own sake. Nobody is a special case every time.

Your response made it sound like we take substances all the time without understanding them, so don't sweat it, it's no big deal.

Making it sound like as long as the credentials were in order, just go for it without worrying too much about trying to actually understand anything.

Or perhaps that was just my personal interpretation.

If that's not what you meant, I apologize for misinterpreting.

Special snowflake syndrome. :lol:

Being different for the health of it is a bit different than just for the hell of it.

Thanks for the belly laughs on my born day. Can never have too many of those.