View Full Version : Daily variations in treatment needs?

Cyllya
06-02-17, 05:48 PM
We all have those days where you get less sleep than normal, or you're sick, or you're PMSing, or the stuff you need to get done today requires better executive functioning, or you have to work longer hours....

How do you handle this? I've mainly been supplementing my prescription ADHD meds with caffeine, so I can easily take more on hard days, but I'm hoping to quit caffeine. (Using caffeine only on hard days isn't really an option in my case.)

aur462
06-03-17, 07:13 PM
I'm relatively new to daily stimulant use, particularly without any other psychotropic drugs simultaneously. I assume you're also taking stims.

Since I stopped taking AD's, it seems I have more trouble with insomnia if I'm not careful. Coffee is something that, on my bad days, has potentiated (seemingly) my meds and circumvented need for additional meds, but seems to increase the chance of insomnia. I've been able to stay at my Rx'd dosage mostly, but if life demands I be at my best and I'm not, I would feel compelled to take extra.

If this happened often I would address it with pdoc.

aeon
06-03-17, 08:49 PM
Dextroamphetamine + caffeine + (vaporized) nicotine.

It works well for me, but for sure, it isn't for everyone.

My sleep is quite good lately. And if I wake early, I will have some caffeine-laden drink and that helps me get back to sleep.

Of course a solid foundation of rest and nutrition are essential.

I've had a bacterial infection of the upper airway the past few days, and it sucked, but the Three Musketeers of Psychostimulation saw me through, and I must say, Dex plus caffeine is a most efficacious decongestant.

Days with too little sleep result in seroronin deficit brain buzz, and that helps to get through a day, but comes at quite the cost.

I suppose I can't suggest anything extra, because most all my days are better in terms of experience and function when things are a bit plus plus.

Cheers,
Ian

Pilgrim
06-03-17, 10:36 PM
I think it's not a one size fits all situation so keeping a record of everything is a good idea. I have those days where it's a challenge but that's the way it goes. Life I find is a bit cyclical so I know I will have times when I don't feel well, or there's an external challenge that's difficult to handle.

I find what underpins this is good sleep quality, my body just know what it needs. And I have times where it's hard to settle down, so I run around till I'm exhausted.

sarahsweets
06-04-17, 05:52 AM
I tend to take a "here we go again..." attitude and grin and bear it because I havent found much else to do when things get like that for me.

Little Missy
06-04-17, 05:58 AM
I switch off between Adderall and Dexedrine but coffee and espresso are a good friend to have. Sometimes just staring for an hour with good music works the best of all. And a good laugh.