View Full Version : Ativan, the worst drug ever

topballer24
06-14-05, 10:47 PM
Let me just start by saying this drug is sent straight from the devil. First off, its not even very effective, you have to take like 4 of the .5 mgs to do anything. Try not taking it the next day, and you'll feel like you want to die. DONT TAKE THIS DRUG. Anyways, I just started experiencing anxiety badly about a month ago. It was so bad one day I went to urgent care, I told him what I was feeling and that I had an appt. with a psych in 3 weeks. He put me on ativan until then. I needed to take 3 .5 mgs for this med to work. I thought I could just take it when I needed, then on my days off from work when I was not anxious, not take it, I was very wrong. I would get extremely dizzy and feel depressed. Somedays I would take 4, somedays one, but now I am consistently taking 2 .5 mgs a day and am still anxious. I went to the psych, he said all my anxiety is from ADD, that I guess I've had my whole life. So he put me on Concerta, and said to get off the ativan by taking 1 .5 mg a day for 4 days, and then .25 for 4 days, this is way too quick. So I am still taking 2 .5s a days. I take them in the morning and feel ok, but come night time I feel anxious as all hell. Before concerta I didn't really feel this, but still am curious how quick withdrawal sets in? Also, I've been taking ativan for a month, how quick should I taper off? I'm going to the doc on Thursday, hopefully things will be better then. Sorry for the long post, any ativan withdrawal tips or stories would be vastly appreciated, thank you.

Nucking_Futs
06-14-05, 11:28 PM
What your therapist suggested is what we see long term care facilities a lot actually.

ps Ativan is not a PRN med your doctor should have informed you better.

And it is slightly addictive so you will see some withdrawal symptoms. Just stick with your therapist's suggestion and don't deviate or you'll set yourself up for a worse trip.

Keep us posted.

pss I didn't care much for Ativan myself either.

netsavy006
10-17-05, 02:38 PM
The only problem I had w/ Ativan was that when I didn't need it anymore and went off it, I got very very bad tics. It was mainly because I had what's called Tic Disorder No'S (Something Like Torrette's).

Ihavekeys?
11-22-05, 12:25 AM
topballer! I know how you feel. ativan is actually the easiest benzo to get off of. ots actually used as a replacement for other drugs of the same class during tapering because of its longer halflife. go to www.benzo.uk.org (http://www.benzo.uk.org) there is a very good suggested plan there.

SweetNicole
05-08-06, 10:01 AM
Not to step in Ihavekeys? toes, but the website address is actually http://www.benzo.org.uk/. furthermore I would like to correct the statement on the ativan having a longer half life and being easier to get off of. Ativan has a half-life of ten to twenty hours. This means that after about ten through twenty hours after dosage, the plasma levels of the drug in the body are half of the peak amount. This means that Ativan withdrawal effects will be felt much sooner and be alot more intense than a drug that slowly tapers out of the body.

1mg of Ativan(lorazepam) is equal in dosage to 10mg of Valium(diazepam). although you are most likely asking yourself why i made this statement, please follow me as I explain the difference between the half-lifes of the aforementioned medications. As mentioned earlier, lorazepam has a half-life of ten to twenty hours, diazepam on the other hand has a half-life of twenty to one hundred hours. The importance of half-life is quickly noted in that lorazepam is short acting in compairison to diazepam, this means that the user gets the power of 10mg of diazepam over a shorter period of time which means that the effects of lorazepam are alot more potent than that of diazepam.

The statement where Ihavekeys? said that it is easier to taper off of is incorrect. Lorazepam, due to the short lasting but more potent effects of its action is quite hard to taper off of. Many psychiatrists will actually switch someone on Lorazepam to diazepam to help make the slow tapering of the benzo-class medication easier to deal with in regards to side-effects. The slower the reduction of the medication, the more time the body has to adjust to function without it. Tapering can not be done overnight and missing any dose or not listening to a professionals reconmendation will actually cause more problems than one needs.

I would also like to make it clear that there are even shorter acting benzo's such as xanax which are even harder to taper off of. there also are longer acting benzo's which i failed to mention due to the lack of common usage. I used Valium as my compairison since you will most likely go to the website address given and using what i said, you can understand the compairison chart.

Always go to a professional who knows what they are doing. If you doubt that your current professional is educated enough, it is your job to educate yourself and either find a different professional, or try to educate the one you have.

although this was a old posting, I wanted to add this information in hopes that it will help put things under the right light for someone having the same problem.

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings with this post!

In a personal light, Ativan has been good and bad to me, if I miss a dose I am in for a world of emotional downs. I have made the mistake of trying to go cold turkey on it, can't be done without serious negative emotional side effects, not to mention not being able to sleep. I have been able to taper down in .25 increments every week or longer depending on how well i handle the shift. So it isn't something that one should feel trapped into having to be on, because it is very possible to cut down slowly.
I have also made the mistake of waiting last minute on calling in the refill, bad idea to do that, nothing is worse than abrupt benzo withdrawal, I can't begin to imagine what xanax users go through if they run out.(Xanax has a shorter half life than Ativan)

What am I popping?
-60mg Adderall XR - am :cool: (I want to learn something new!)
-10mg Adderall IR - 5pm :p (Let's focus on eating something!)
-225mg Effexor XR - am :eyebrow: (The face says it all!)
-2mg Ativan - split am & pm :rolleyes: (Everything is ok!)
-400mg Spironolactone :eek: (Never have I drank so much water!)
-400mg Prometrium :mad: (Lets get *****y!)
-8mg Estrace :D (Flowers are soo pretty!)

There is liver damage:), then there is LIVER damage.:faint:

Crazy~Feet
05-08-06, 12:06 PM
Just my 2C, but I have always had an extremely morbid fear of benzo addiction, in fact the thought of addiction can cause me some degree of anxiety (no kidding).

I have had, over the years, Xanax and Ativan Rx'ed PRN and never ever had difficulties taking them as directed. I was once on Klonopin at regular doses (geez that was so long ago though, I apologise for not remembering the doses) and cannot recall having a hard time withdrawing from it.

I do remember that at one time I was RX'ed 25 mgs Mellaril, which is a MAJOR tranq, and an antipsychotic at higher dosages (in excess of 300 mgs, I believe) and that did wonders for persistent anxiety AT THE VERY LOW DOSE. Naturally some ridiculous, non-believing doc saw "Mellaril" on my chart at one point and upped me to the antipsychotic dose :rolleyes: while hospitalised and caused me some serious problems.

I dunno, maybe it is just me since all people are different but I have never had any issues using benzos PRN or with withdrawal/addiction. I think they can be very beneficial when used by a person who can manage it.

That being said, I do know that benzo withdrawal is one of the single most painful withdrawals in existence and I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered topballer :(:(:( anxiety is a real horror show for those of us who have it. I hope you find what you need to feel better!!

topballer24
05-08-06, 07:15 PM
Hey everyone, it's odd to see this post up and running again, I remember starting this last summer. Those were some rough times with Ativan, it's weird because even though ativan has a longer half-life, I don't suffer the horrific withdrawl symptoms with xanax. Anyways, 1 year later and my anxiety is still bad, even though I am seeing a therapist which is helping. I just started zoloft yesterday and am now on 1 mg xanax xr everyday, right now the zoloft is making me very tired, I'm gonna give it 1 week and see if it passes.

Aizlyne
05-08-06, 07:36 PM
I"m sorry you had a bad expierience with Ativan. I have to say that I have found Ativan very useful. I don't use it gor general anxiety but I take it at night (whehever I need it) to help me sleep. I tried it during the day when I was realy stressed but that did in fact screw me up a little bit. I became physically ill. Maybe it was because I took the medicine and I didn't go to sleep afterowrd. I take 1mg wheever I need too.

speedo
05-08-06, 07:51 PM
Do EXACTLY as your doctor says. Don't mess around with addiction to ativan.
Whatever you do don't go off of it cold turkey. Taper off just like your doctor says.
You will be fine.

ME :D

Let me just start by saying this drug is sent straight from the devil. First off, its not even very effective, you have to take like 4 of the .5 mgs to do anything. Try not taking it the next day, and you'll feel like you want to die. DONT TAKE THIS DRUG. Anyways, I just started experiencing anxiety badly about a month ago. It was so bad one day I went to urgent care, I told him what I was feeling and that I had an appt. with a psych in 3 weeks. He put me on ativan until then. I needed to take 3 .5 mgs for this med to work. I thought I could just take it when I needed, then on my days off from work when I was not anxious, not take it, I was very wrong. I would get extremely dizzy and feel depressed. Somedays I would take 4, somedays one, but now I am consistently taking 2 .5 mgs a day and am still anxious. I went to the psych, he said all my anxiety is from ADD, that I guess I've had my whole life. So he put me on Concerta, and said to get off the ativan by taking 1 .5 mg a day for 4 days, and then .25 for 4 days, this is way too quick. So I am still taking 2 .5s a days. I take them in the morning and feel ok, but come night time I feel anxious as all hell. Before concerta I didn't really feel this, but still am curious how quick withdrawal sets in? Also, I've been taking ativan for a month, how quick should I taper off? I'm going to the doc on Thursday, hopefully things will be better then. Sorry for the long post, any ativan withdrawal tips or stories would be vastly appreciated, thank you.

SweetNicole
05-08-06, 09:14 PM
I am extremely impressed that topballer actually received my response. The post was so backdated that I thought I would never get to hear from the person who started this thread.

Topballer, I am glad that you have had a more enjoyable experiance taking xanax, Ativan is a nasty med to take, but it does do it's job quite well as long as one does their job in following strict dirrections and educating themself. I am very sorry to hear that you do not feel dramaticly different. I know that having a therapist is a nice thing to have, but alot of the time they only listen as if your talking to a wall, when they finally do talk, most of them are just as stumped as you.
As for taking zoloft, although I wasn't able to gain anything from the drug, there is the chance that you will be that lucky person who feels better with it. the whole being tired thing is common and is actually made worse from Xanax's CNS depressant effects. (remember that the central nervous system is your brain and spine) so if you suppress the activity in the CNS you are going to feel tired, the fact that you are shifting chemicals around while in this depressed mode requires extra energy that simply has been robbed by the depressant. I am not saying that Xanax or any other benzo is bad, I am simply saying that you are going to feel the change more than you would had you not been taking a CNS depressant.

I know that when I have everything running without a depressant, I can barely feel hormone shifts or chemical shifts, but when on a depressant i feel it much more. The use of a CNS depressant in someone diagnosed ADD is something that is debated about due to the fact that ADD is known to be caused by a lack of activity in the CNS, so being on a depressant does not make things at all better in regards to ADD treatment.

Since speedo already repeated what i said in my last post, I will just like you to know that I can not stress enough over being religious with meds, all it takes is one day to create a horrible wave effect. although the wave isn't felt, you will find yourself falling into the cycle of forgetting to take the meds, eventually leading to a worse off state than before.

I wish you the greatest of luck in life, I will be tossing my next penny down the well with a wish for your contentment in life.

topballer24
05-12-06, 04:25 AM
SweetNicole,
Thank you so much for your kind response. I'm glad I decided to hop back on this board, because prior to coming across that post again I hadn't been on this board for about 3 months because my therapist told me not too (he thinks I'm a hypochondriac, which I probly am). But I had to look into Zoloft and check people's experiences with it. Anyways the information you provided me with was very informative. For instance someone was telling me that the combination of Zoloft and Xanax would make me more tired as you were explaining, but I had to keep taking the xanax because I was still anxious. Anyways, after 3 days the Zoloft just became too unbearable and I stopped (having no withdrawal). Right now I am just taking the 1 mg xanax xr but still having trouble w/ anxiety. It's weird, at the beginning of work I'll be anxious for the first 2 hours, then I'll be fine, it's like I have to ease myself into things. Then when I go out to a social event, it's hit or miss. Sometimes I'll be anxious, sometimes not. I've tried just about every medication and want to move on without it, but my anxious self always thinks "I wonder if this medication will help?" I'm going to try being medication free for the next 2 months except for taking the xanax, and go from there. I've read a lot about positive thinking and my therapist has told me a lot about it, so I'm gonna give that shot. I'm going to Jersey on Memorial day to see some friends I haven't seen in a while and go to some concerts. As excited as I am, I'm anxious about how anxious I'm gonna be during that vacation if that makes any sense, but I'm going to stay positive and look forward to it. As far as you and therapists, I'm sorry to hear it sounds like you got a therapist that wasn't responsive. I really like my therapist, I feel totally comfortable with him and can talk to him about anything, plus he is extremely helpful. And as far as the Ativan goes, sorry I didn't mean to bash it in my first post, it was just I was going through some rough times then and the Ativan withdrawl was the worst withdrawal I've ever had. I realize that everyone reacts differently to different medications and I'm glad you have had success with it. In closing sorry for the long scattered response, I typically don't post on message boards, but people like you make me want to communicate my problems and listen to others. It's not only helpful but very informative also. Thank you for your support and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

AJB187
07-27-06, 06:59 PM
Ativan works just fine if you can control yourself. The medications don't make you addicted, you yourself form the addictional habit of taking them.

texassweetpea
08-22-06, 02:59 AM
I have been on many different benzos over the years for my schizoaffective disorder. I am sorry you are having such a hard time stopping the ativan but I am really suprised you are having any withdrawal symptoms at such a ridiculously low dosage. Ativan is a great drug and yes it is used prn in psych hospitals...its the one they mainly use. I am not doubting your experience was hard for you but you should not be having any physical problem...they are prolly psychological. I have stopped and started several different benzodiazepines over the years and never experienced any symptoms other than slight edginess and/or insomnia. Again, I am sorry you are having such a rought time with this.:)

RedSkittles
03-29-09, 03:04 PM
maybe its not the ativan, when i took conserta sometimes i forgot to take it one day and would feel soooo anxious! i think i was addicted to it or something, after all, i was using it for like, 5 years. i have the one thats white, i dont no if that has anything to do with it, prob not, but my dad was taking a red one and he could forget and only feel weird, while I was pacing around the cabnet trying not to pull my hair out!

01GT281
03-29-09, 06:40 PM
Ativan sucks balls. I was taking 2mg a day with near zero results. Xanax works much better. Let Ativan stay in the LTCF's for the elderly.

Xeon
04-05-09, 08:42 PM
I remember they gave me an Ativan when I was in impatient.....holy crap that thing could make the incredible hulk fall asleep. But unfortunately I was made to stay awake and had to talk to a bunch of psychiatrists while under the influence of Ativan...needless to say I felt higher then a kite and completly unable to function.

tiggerousity
07-24-09, 01:57 AM
Ativan has been very helpful over the years to control my anxiety. I started out 7 years ago on .5 mg as needed to sleep and not take 1-2 mg as needed. Usually 1 mg nightly. My life has been filled with stressors like school, teens and court battles and I have to say this drug helped immensely!

During this time I have gone on and off Zoloft, Lexapro and Pristique. I always come back to benzos as a cheap and effective antianxiety med. SSRIs often make me lose motivation and drive over time.

I would love to be off of ALL meds however given the stateof fluxin my life I imagine I will be on benzos and some periodic SSRi for the rest of my life.

Thank God for solutions that work!

Tiggy

PinK~Cloud
07-27-09, 04:57 PM
i was up to 6mg of xanax, daily, for a month and quit scotch free. at those low doses you've been at i'd taper down over a week.

day 1: 1mg, twice
day 2: 1mg in morning, .5 at night
day 3 1mg in morning .5 at night
day 4 .5 morning, .5 night
day 5 .5 morning, .5 night
day 6 .5 mid day
day 7 .5 mid day
day 8 you should be good to hop off.

attic
09-25-09, 07:51 AM
I was on ativan for a year and it was okay. It stopped working on me though because my body was so used to it, so I had to make the switch to klonopin. They feel pretty much the same to me. Idk.

December15
10-12-09, 02:58 PM
I hated Ativan. The first time I took it I quickly developed an addiction - a problem I haven't had with any other benzo - but it was after weaning off and then taking it once in a while to help me sleep that the really bad side effects surfaced. If I take one - just ONE - 1mg ativan I will be completely unable to fall asleep for at least 48 hours after. You know that hellish feeling where you're exhausted....you want to sleep, need to sleep, even dream you're asleep but in reality you're almost wide awake? Like that. Horrible stuff!

I now take 2mg clonazepam or once in a while 2mg xanax sublingually to sleep. I don't want more, I've gone without with no trouble but I do enjoy the brief break from constant full alert.

December

Tabitha Leilah
10-26-09, 03:42 AM
These are typical side effects for antidepressants. If you are getting any of these from your Ativan, which is usually a pretty side effect free drug, this may not be for you. I'd recommend getting a 2 week dose, and if you don't like it, ask to be switched to another anti depressant, there are tons of them out there.

RonRitalin
11-05-10, 12:53 PM
Hi, I took it ONCE. That was enough. I had a friend who also only took it once. It doesn't feel anything like valium, librium or xanax. They should call it "bummer-in-a-pill". It obviously helps a lot of people, but can you imagine several weeks/months in your system if it effects you negatively?! It made me feel VERY depressed.

Naussicaa
11-10-10, 01:49 AM
It made me fall asleep and have awful sleep quality on a half milligram. Got off of it immediately and decided to tell my doctor. I still have them, but I don't really feel bad without them either. Sorry for your bad experience, but at least you aren't on Zoloft!

f411263
10-20-11, 02:58 PM
to the very first writer. Ativan is not the worst drug ever. again it depends on the person and the way their body reacts to a med. it seems to me you have more that just anxiety. also with drawl depends on again the person and not the half life. some people take it for years and have no with drawl symptoms. some take for 2 months and have alot of symptoms. people should really i mean really do your research and stop acting like your experts and your not. atvin is a very effective medication and also it seems to me you abused your prescription by taking more than your suppose to. if your dumb but doesnt feel effect on low dose go to docs again to adjust the dosage. dont try to be a export and dose your self like an idiot.

sarahsweets
10-20-11, 04:59 PM
to the very first writer. Ativan is not the worst drug ever. again it depends on the person and the way their body reacts to a med. it seems to me you have more that just anxiety. also with drawl depends on again the person and not the half life. some people take it for years and have no with drawl symptoms. some take for 2 months and have alot of symptoms. people should really i mean really do your research and stop acting like your experts and your not. atvin is a very effective medication and also it seems to me you abused your prescription by taking more than your suppose to. if your dumb but doesnt feel effect on low dose go to docs again to adjust the dosage. dont try to be a export and dose your self like an idiot.
There is a much nicer way to say that. ( btw this thread is ancient )

Hyperman87
02-10-12, 11:40 AM
Let me just start by saying this drug is sent straight from the devil. First off, its not even very effective, you have to take like 4 of the .5 mgs to do anything. Try not taking it the next day, and you'll feel like you want to die. DONT TAKE THIS DRUG. Anyways, I just started experiencing anxiety badly about a month ago. It was so bad one day I went to urgent care, I told him what I was feeling and that I had an appt. with a psych in 3 weeks. He put me on ativan until then. I needed to take 3 .5 mgs for this med to work. I thought I could just take it when I needed, then on my days off from work when I was not anxious, not take it, I was very wrong. I would get extremely dizzy and feel depressed. Somedays I would take 4, somedays one, but now I am consistently taking 2 .5 mgs a day and am still anxious. I went to the psych, he said all my anxiety is from ADD, that I guess I've had my whole life. So he put me on Concerta, and said to get off the ativan by taking 1 .5 mg a day for 4 days, and then .25 for 4 days, this is way too quick. So I am still taking 2 .5s a days. I take them in the morning and feel ok, but come night time I feel anxious as all hell. Before concerta I didn't really feel this, but still am curious how quick withdrawal sets in? Also, I've been taking ativan for a month, how quick should I taper off? I'm going to the doc on Thursday, hopefully things will be better then. Sorry for the long post, any ativan withdrawal tips or stories would be vastly appreciated, thank you.:thankyou:

And I concur

pechemignonne
02-10-12, 11:58 AM
I really, really liked Ativan. And so do many people with anxiety problems, who need to take benzos.

So if the devil makes Ativans, then I say "Thank you, Satan!" http://www.facebooksmileysemoticons.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/11-facebook-emoticons.gif

known_guy
02-10-12, 03:27 PM
Ativan's helped me survive crowded airports, flights, large parties, what-have-you.

No matter how much I say I dislike/hate benzodiazepines, I can't deny how useful they can be. So long as they're taken responsibly, appropriately.

YOUCANCALLMEAL
02-10-12, 11:52 PM
The internet is a scary and dangerous thing sometimes....people google things like "is ativan addictive?" and of course you are going to see the worst of the worst experiences. People usually don't post if they have normal experiences with a drug...but if someone has a really bad experience or withdrawal than it can freak everybody out. I really believe people get themselves worked up to a fit more than they really should just by reading people's "worst of the worst" experiences with a certain drug...

Anyway, to the OP, that was such a low dosage for such a short amount of time, I can't imagine quitting causing that big of an issue.

To the people that say "DO NOT QUIT COLD TURKEY WHATEVER YOU DO" it is true, but there are patients on benzos for years taking 2,3,4 mg/day etc....in that case absolutely do not quit cold turkey.

Whoever said everyone is different in how they react to withdrawals is absolutely true. Everyone is different.

For me, Ativan comes in handy when I really need a good night's sleep. My ADD causes my mind to race a lot at night when I'm trying to sleep and Ativan basically shuts my mind down and puts me to sleep. It basically serves the same purpose as Ambien, but I DO NOT take it every night or even close. Now, when I was on Adderall briefly, I was taking it more because it made me so anxious....which is why I got off Adderall. The last thing I needed was to be on 2 heavy duty RX's on a daily basis...it wasn't worth it

kmarx
05-24-12, 03:19 AM
I have taken Ativan for many years now and have never had a problem with it. Occasionally I will stop taking it for about a month and take xanax to help with the built up resistance but xanax does not work real well for me. I usually take 1mg at bed and 1mg as needed.

ceebee
05-25-12, 02:37 PM
What your therapist suggested is what we see long term care facilities a lot actually.

ps Ativan is not a PRN med your doctor should have informed you better.

And it is slightly addictive so you will see some withdrawal symptoms. Just stick with your therapist's suggestion and don't deviate or you'll set yourself up for a worse trip.

Keep us posted.

pss I didn't care much for Ativan myself either.

^^ Right here is the very problem.

Benzodiazepines are ***supposed*** to be PRN (as needed i.e. not every single day, not even most days, just rarely) medications.

You build up tolerance to them very quickly and the withdrawal can be so bad it has its own medical diagnosis (benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome). It is my prediction that there is going to be a major crackdown on prescribers (in the form of lawsuits or regulations from the state boards of medicine/pharmacy) who give them to people for anxiety disorders on a long-term basis. The field of psychiatry is slowly but surely catching on to the long-term damage that prolonged usage of benzodiazepines cause.

My suggestion to those of you hooked on them and starting to feel sick from taking them constantly: go to your doctor, ask to be put on the equivalent dose of Valium (diazepam) and taper down by 1mg every 1-2 weeks.

Traveler5
05-25-12, 06:36 PM
I think Ativan is one of the best drugs out there to treat anxiety.

spc123
05-26-12, 12:03 AM
Ativan (lorazepam) like any benzodiazapine can be addictive. Unlike other classes of drugs such as narcotics or stimulants, withdrawal from benzodiazapines can result in death. I have spoken to heroin addicts who told me they'd rather withdraw from smack than a benzo. You have to respect that. So they are addictive, and they are a particularly dangerous and unpleasant drug to discontinue. Even though dying from withdrawal is uncommon, you could experience seizures and will certainly experience extreme anxiety. It can take months before anxiety returns to normal levels. Obviously the higher the dose and/or the longer it's taken will impact severity and duration of withdrawal.

That said, I have used several different drugs from this class for my anxiety, and I can attest that they work incredibly well IF you use them properly.

Take them only as needed. Benzos with a shorter half-life such as Xanax (alprazolam) or Ativan (lorazepam) are generally better suited to panic attack, when you need quick yet brief relief. A longer acting benzo like Klonopin (clonazepam) is better suited to generalized or social anxiety, where a longer period of relief is required. In any case, these are NOT a daily medication for long term treatment. If you need daily, long term treatment for anxiety, I would highly advise an SNRI, or other anti-depressant that has been proven to help anxiety. In my own treatment I would never use a benzo more than two days in a row, and more than three days in a week. My usual habit was to limit it to once a week. If you use them sparingly and with respect this is a perfectly safe, and very effective medication. In my opinion treating your anxiety with these medications should be a secondary concern to avoiding dependence.

A tip for those who need fast action: All of the conventional salt tablet forms of these medications can be administered sublingually for a much faster onset of action. You place the pill under your tongue and hold it there until it is fully dissolved. Then wash the remainder down with some water. In my experience clonazepam, diazepam, lorazepam and alprazolam administered this way have an onset within 10 minutes of administration.

Warning: Never, EVER consume alcohol when taking a benzodiazapine. This very quickly leads to memory loss and impairment (read complete and total loss) of judgement. In other words you tend to black out. You aren't likely to die from an overdose, but you very well might walk into traffic. Even with a low dose of benzo it is quite likely once you begin drinking you will take more. I know many people who took a couple of Valium before a night out and woke up with no memory and an empty Valium bottle. Don't do it. Some things you shouldn't do, but you do them anyhow because they are fun. This isn't one of those things. There is no fun to be had. Just amnesia if you are lucky...

ceebee
05-26-12, 04:03 PM
Warning: Never, EVER consume alcohol when taking a benzodiazapine. This very quickly leads to memory loss and impairment (read complete and total loss) of judgement. In other words you tend to black out. You aren't likely to die from an overdose, but you very well might walk into traffic. Even with a low dose of benzo it is quite likely once you begin drinking you will take more. I know many people who took a couple of Valium before a night out and woke up with no memory and an empty Valium bottle. Don't do it. Some things you shouldn't do, but you do them anyhow because they are fun. This isn't one of those things. There is no fun to be had. Just amnesia if you are lucky...

People don't realize this but the infamous "roofies" (aka Rohypnol aka flunitrazepam) was itself a benzodiazepine used by rapists to lace the drinks of girls in bars. Like all benzodiazepines (albeit when mixed with alcohol) they have a tendency to cause anterograde amnesia and perhaps even respiratory arrest.

This class of drugs is so incredibly dangerous when taken for long periods of time I am in total shock that there hasn't been more lawsuits. They will come though.

Miko91
01-13-14, 08:36 AM
Worked like a treat for me- had bad withdrawal after taking ativan for a month then tried to get off it reducing the dose from 4mg though i did seem to reduce it to fast which was hell. My doc put me on Sulpiride which worked wonders(2 x 50mg tablets 3 times a day and i cut my ativan down to 0.5mg in the morning then 0.5mg in the evening. got down to (1 x 50mg sulpiride 3 times a day and a quarter ativan then off with out bad withdrawal. My doc told me to stop the Ativan cold turkey and just do the sulpiride though i was a bit scared so i still took it but as i mentioned above only a small dose though i think going cold turkey may of worked if on sulpiride as my side effects once i took sulphiride seemed to disappear was great and such a relief. Ask your doc about this option as i would highly recommend it!!!
Use Ativan only if you really feel the need but never daily.

Abi
01-13-14, 11:19 AM
Oh Christ in heaven.

Talk about making mountains out of molehills.

Benzodiazepines are perfectly safe if taken as prescribed (whether daily or PRN) by a doctor.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms can be significantly mitigated by withdrawing by gradually reducing the dose over a lengthy period. If you have been on the med for a significant time and/or at a relatively high dose, I would reccomend 8 weeks.

Benzodiazepines are also the ONLY class of medication that help some of us with severe anxiety disorders (I have clinically severe GAD and on-an-off severe Insomnia probably related to bipolar. I take Klonopin 1 mg tid and a benzo structurally similar to Rohypnol prn for Insomnia - the ONLY medication that helps with my insomnia particularly when manic.)

If they cut down on benzo's, I will become non-functional. I will probably commit criminal activities to sustain myself and will feel no guilt about it whatsoever.

As it is governments do nothing for disabled people, if they take away our meds, they and they laws can go f~~k themselves.

Laserbeak
01-14-14, 07:32 PM
I didn't have quite the bad experience you had, but I don't like it much either. It's not something I can take and work on, it makes me quite loopy and I've done things on it (like lose thousands and thousands of dollars in Vegas) that I regret and hardly remember.

Librium and Valium are much better.