View Full Version : What do you reckon?

Langdang
06-03-17, 05:18 PM
I went to the doctors as I have had insomnia since I have become teetotal after many years of heavy hard drinking. He was not very helpful and recommend I use SLEEPIO.com and take a blood test which I have done, so whilst trawling the internet I have started reading up on ADHD, which I had heard about a few years ago before as someone I know who has ADHD said they think I might have it as well, I looked it up but couldn't really be bothered to go to the doctors about it.

Now I'm beggining to think I might have it, I'm also open to the fact that I might not.

I really don't know where to start but here is some stuff about me that I think might be signs:

I'm 28, how I think ADHD has a negative a impact is in that I have never held a job longer than ten months due to making lots of mistakes or simply hating what the job entails (mainly worked in pubs or done lots of odd jobs, admin, pizza delivery, Tele sales, literally lost count).

I'm quite impulsive and never finish anything off (something my supervisor is giving me grief for). I'm current doing an apprenticeship in painting and decorating after getting a leaflet through the door from my local skills college and went to an open day and just decided to do it, so now I go to college one day a week with a load of young teens fresh out of school and work on a building site the other four days of the week. Impulsivity also means I buy lots of random stuff I don't really need like a 1980s bus stop sign insaw on eBay for a hundred quid.

Two years ago I was really depressed and was drinking a lot, I saw a music course so I decided to moved up to glasgow to do it. The first night I got there I lost my expensive laptop and then took the decision not to do the course as I didn't want to have to buy another and just wanted to enjoy my time which lasted about ten months and was mainly spent drinking or in the library as the room I stayed in was so small, I worked doing Tele sales which I didn't like. Had to leave as it was horrible (unethical company and abuse on the phone) and I wasnt making enough sales.

I have a mad temper and smash things up a lot, punch holes in the wall, recently I have e self harmed when I have got angry, used a knife on my arm.

I started smoking weed when I was 14, first trying it when I was about 9, but stopped when I was 17/18 and started drinking pretty much everyday as I dropped out of two different college twice as I got bored of it and decided to work in a wetherspoons instead. This made me a heavy drinker and I have dabbled in all drugs (coke, mdma, heroin, ketamine, crack and plenty more) until January after realising how it was devastating my body and brain, (I have been to hospital for falling over drunk and needed stitches above my eye and another time I drank copious amounts of spirits and snorted lots legal highs which lead to me thinking I was going to die). I have done a lot of reckless things whilst drunk the worst being taking part in the riots. I could go on.

Losing things is something I do ALL the time. At work I've lost my toolbag at the monent and constantly lose keys and personal belongings. This is something I have had my whole life, my mum use to tie my busspass onto a bit of string that was tied to my school blazer as I would lose it so often and I could go on and on about how much I lose and forget things. The list of important and expensive things I have lost over the years would astonish most people. It happens constantly and gets me down quite a lot. I think this is the biggest thing that effects me.

I have mixed reports from school but mainly it says I'm too easily distracted and find it hard to concentrate, I scraped 4 C's even though I actually tried my best at some of the subjects. Some teachers say I'm polite and well behaved and other say the opposite but the running theme is that I could do a lot better. I used to constantly annoy teachers and act the class clown but in other subjects I would actually do some work. I have a school report that is so bad it's actually quite funny reading it now.

ADHD symptoms I don't have would be that I'm a not hugely hyperactive although I do like tapping my foot and playing air drums and I do some stuff really well, I have taught myself how to play a few different instruments to a decent level. I'm quite a recluse these days and I've never been in love or had a proper relationship last longer than 5 months.

I spend days and weeks putting things off that I need to do ( posting this online is quite a huge thing for me I suppose) and would like to know what you think? I also realised that my mum smoked and drank alcohol whilst she was pregnant which I have read there is a link with ADHD

I just want to end the chaos and generally feeling like a moron, I'd like some stability in life and be able to hold down a job so I can move out of my mum's house, I'm turning thirty years of age next year.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you very, much if you have read all of this.

Is this ADHD or am i worrying over nothing?

sarahsweets
06-04-17, 05:59 AM
I started smoking weed when I was 14, first trying it when I was about 9, but stopped when I was 17/18 and started drinking pretty much everyday as I dropped out of two different college twice as I got bored of it and decided to work in a wetherspoons instead. This made me a heavy drinker and I have dabbled in all drugs (coke, mdma, heroin, ketamine, crack and plenty more) until January after realising how it was devastating my body and brain, (I have been to hospital for falling over drunk and needed stitches above my eye and another time I drank copious amounts of spirits and snorted lots legal highs which lead to me thinking I was going to die). I have done a lot of reckless things whilst drunk the worst being taking part in the riots. I could go on.

I hope you have gotten sober now, and congrats for surviving. I forget the actual statistics by the number but people with adhd are more likely to have substance abuse issues and addiction then the non-adhd folks. A lot of that has do to with self medication for the adhd and other comorbid disorders and a lot of it (IMO only) has some sort of genetic link that I couldnt possibly explain with proof, but wholeheartedly believe in.
Its important to see the difference between substance abuse, misuse and addiction in order to better understand what and how to treat it.

I spend days and weeks putting things off that I need to do ( posting this online is quite a huge thing for me I suppose) and would like to know what you think? I also realised that my mum smoked and drank alcohol whilst she was pregnant which I have read there is a link with ADHD

There is science and a link between a mother drinking and using drugs and adhd, in addition to fetal alcohol syndrome and adhd.

Is this ADHD or am i worrying over nothing?

No one here can say if its adhd or not but you know there is something not right and you should see a doc, preferably a psyche about it. Dont worry about the label for now.

kilted_scotsman
06-04-17, 10:38 AM
Could be ADHD, or it might not.... as Sarahsweets says, ADDers often struggle with addictive personalities.... sometimes we can turn this to advantage, but most times it messes up our lives.

One thing to remember is that the diagnosis is just a label..... you're unique, and what helps you sort your life out will be unique to you.... there isn't a magic bullet.... as browsing this site will show.

One thing you can do is "assume" you have ADHD and go from there.... read around the subject and explore options. A good place to start would be someone like Gabor Mate's book... In the realm of the hungry ghosts" which combines addiction, ADHD upbringing(Mate is an ADDer himself).

Over time.... exploring yourself and your ADDery behaviours will probably lead to a more nuanced sense of yourself..... I'm a bit Addery, but there's a big chunk of dysfunctional family in there too, and maybe a pinch of Aspergers and a slice of misundertood creative!

ginniebean
06-04-17, 12:28 PM
Congratulations on getting sober. It does sound like classic adhd. There is help, it's work to get a diagnosis. Do it.