View Full Version : Does meds really help?

tblack5
06-04-17, 11:30 AM
Hi, I have always been a little behind in school. I got fired from work because my "FAQ" doc wasn't long enough. The longest I have ever stayed at a job was 2years. Now I own a business and working on a second one. I had my son 3 years ago and I enrolled back in college in 2015. I am trying to give you guys a little background, so please forgive me if I am all over the place.

I am having trouble studying and I took a break from summer classes. I am going to see a psychiatrist next month to get more help.

But my question is, do meds help with studying?

sarahsweets
06-04-17, 12:21 PM
Hi, I have always been a little behind in school. I got fired from work because my "FAQ" doc wasn't long enough. The longest I have ever stayed at a job was 2years. Now I own a business and working on a second one. I had my son 3 years ago and I enrolled back in college in 2015. I am trying to give you guys a little background, so please forgive me if I am all over the place.

I am having trouble studying and I took a break from summer classes. I am going to see a psychiatrist next month to get more help.

But my question is, do meds help with studying?

Do you have adhd? Have you been diagnosed? If you are asking if meds help treat adhd, then yes, the most certainly do, for most people. If you are asking whether they help you study as a performance enhancer...well you already know the answer to that one or else you woudnt be asking it.

ginniebean
06-04-17, 12:27 PM
Meds help manage your symptoms, not all of them and not perfectly, but yes, they help. It's not just for studying. Life doesn't have to be so hard.

TygerSan
06-05-17, 06:51 AM
Meds helped me with some aspects of studying (actually reading and being able to concentrate on reading, even in noisy rooms and on stuff I found relentlessly boring, being able to structure and program well). They were not, however, a magic bullet that suddenly made all my difficulties go away.

Aliiciia
06-08-17, 12:22 PM
I am on my 3rd day of taking adderall and I am a college student and it has significantly helped me with studying.

I was explaining this to my roommate about how I would read a paragraph and be so distracted by all the other words around the line I am trying to read. I don't know how I survived my critical reading class a couple quarters ago because he made us read these terrible printouts with really small font that would fill the page margin to margin with no hardly any spaces.

Since I am still new to the medication, I have a journal and I am writing down how I am feeling on the medication. I noted yesterday that I felt like my eyes were able to zoom in on the line I was reading and I didn't have to reread anything! It gave me some confidence that's for sure.

I explained to my doctor my symptoms and she recommended me to see a psychiatrist. So it looks like you are on the right path.

Life tends to makes things interesting for us such as losing a job or failing an exam that you KNOW you studied for. This allow us to reexamine our lives and take action. We are way too hard on ourselves as a society and especially if you live in the US. Okay I am ranting now :cool: but I really hope you can figure out what will work for you.

Good luck :)