View Full Version : Hey all, undiagnosed as of now

dimanche11
06-04-17, 08:50 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a new user on this forum and I decided to go ahead and leave a post sort of describing some pf the traits and issues I deal with on a daily basis to see what advice you guys might have. I'm 19 years old and am not attending any school as of yet; however I do have a full time job to save up money in the mean time.

I've gotten in touch with my healthcare provider to get an appointment set up with a psychiatrist and therapist to find out what's going on. For most of my entire life, from childhood on, I have always been able to feel that something about me was off. I never turned assignments in at school, not because I was lazy but because I'd forget, or I'd be far to distracted by other things, I've continuously struggled to complete tasks that do not pique my interest, regardless of how bad I actually want to get it done, I'll make forgetful and silly flub ups one after the other after the other to the point that people get very frustrated with me.

I try and explain my confusion but I'm just left stumbling over my words, feeling a piercing anxiety as I watch their face morph into confusion. People often times notice the little flub ups I'll make at work too and totally treat me as thought I'm incompetent, which further drives my anxiety which then further drives my inability to focus well enough on the task at hand because I'm too stressed out about looking like an idiot. I also have a difficult time listening to people while they talk or try to explain things to me, even to the point that I know they're saying words and I should be paying attention, but some part of my brain just tunes out and I end up totally missing what someone says. Even sometimes when I'm looking someone right in the eyes while they're talking to me, I'm somewhere else completely mentally.

I make stupid mistakes over and over even after being instructed how to do it more than enough times to get the picture. These issues have all been making my life and interpersonal relationships tense and rigid/awkward because I often get very nervous about the things I may end up saying or doing which may sound or be offensive, but I just didn't realize it. People think I'm lazy or don't care enough about a lot of things because I'll either forget to do things, lose things, be late for appointments, or just be completely distracted from what it is I was dealing with in the first place. As I grow older and I become more able to properly analyze my behavior and mannerisms, it's become clear to me there's something not working right up there in the old noggin.

None of the times that I miss an appointment or mess up a project are due to my lack of caring, it's due to my lack of ability to manage my time, focus on tasks, or prevent myself from getting way to distracted for my own good. After taking a lot of time observing my own behaviors and looking into what may be causing it, I've so far discovered that I certainly qualify as someone who may have undiagnosed ADD/ADHD, and I'm working on figuring out if that's what it is from a doctor. Any tips or advice on how I can make life a bit more organized and improve my attention span and focus?

sarahsweets
06-05-17, 02:21 AM
The most important thing you can do now is to see a doctor.

sarahsweets
06-05-17, 04:49 AM
I wanted to add to my very limited post above. :p

For most of my entire life, from childhood on, I have always been able to feel that something about me was off. I never turned assignments in at school, not because I was lazy but because I'd forget, or I'd be far to distracted by other things, I've continuously struggled to complete tasks that do not pique my interest, regardless of how bad I actually want to get it done, I'll make forgetful and silly flub ups one after the other after the other to the point that people get very frustrated with me.
Just be aware that you can still do well in school in whole or in part and still have adhd.

I try and explain my confusion but I'm just left stumbling over my words, feeling a piercing anxiety as I watch their face morph into confusion. People often times notice the little flub ups I'll make at work too and totally treat me as thought I'm incompetent, which further drives my anxiety which then further drives my inability to focus well enough on the task at hand because I'm too stressed out about looking like an idiot. I also have a difficult time listening to people while they talk or try to explain things to me, even to the point that I know they're saying words and I should be paying attention, but some part of my brain just tunes out and I end up totally missing what someone says. Even sometimes when I'm looking someone right in the eyes while they're talking to me, I'm somewhere else completely mentally.

Its a shame you work with some as*holes. They sound mean and intolerant.

I make stupid mistakes over and over even after being instructed how to do it more than enough times to get the picture. These issues have all been making my life and interpersonal relationships tense and rigid/awkward because I often get very nervous about the things I may end up saying or doing which may sound or be offensive, but I just didn't realize it. People think I'm lazy or don't care enough about a lot of things because I'll either forget to do things, lose things, be late for appointments, or just be completely distracted from what it is I was dealing with in the first place. As I grow older and I become more able to properly analyze my behavior and mannerisms, it's become clear to me there's something not working right up there in the old noggin.

One of the things we need to learn which can come through treatment is coping skills that work for us. I can read all the instruction booklets there are but if my husband didnt learn how to set my new alarm clock and walk me through it, I still wouldnt know. I need those kind of step by step verbal/visual instructions with things.

None of the times that I miss an appointment or mess up a project are due to my lack of caring, it's due to my lack of ability to manage my time, focus on tasks, or prevent myself from getting way to distracted for my own good. After taking a lot of time observing my own behaviors and looking into what may be causing it, I've so far discovered that I certainly qualify as someone who may have undiagnosed ADD/ADHD, and I'm working on figuring out if that's what it is from a doctor. Any tips or advice on how I can make life a bit more organized and improve my attention span and focus?

You also have to be aware of the idea of a self fulfilling prophecy. You dont want to box yourself into a corner by using info from the internet and assuming it could only be adhd. It could be something else so remain open to the process.

stef
06-05-17, 09:43 AM
I'll make forgetful and silly flub ups one after the other after the other to the point that people get very frustrated with me.

I try and explain my confusion but I'm just left stumbling over my words, feeling a piercing anxiety as I watch their face morph into confusion. People often times notice the little flub ups I'll make at work too and totally treat me as thought I'm incompetent, which further drives my anxiety which then further drives my inability to focus well enough on the task at hand because I'm too stressed out about looking like an idiot.

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Wow I can so relate to these parts I've quoted!
I work as an assistant; actually only my direct boss regularly notices all of the small mistakes; which further drives my anxiety, as you say.
I've been at this job for several years but this part is just so difficult to deal with. no one seems to understand that being snapped at for some minor mistake is somehow magically going to fix the problem and get me to "pay attention", it just doubles it and then all I hear is a voice or like a dog barking, for any other kinds of instructions that day.

ToneTone
06-05-17, 08:56 PM
You could also have serious anxiety ... that nervousness you're talking about ... could be more than just "nervousness."

Anxiety is horrible for execution and for following through ... and terrible for memory.

Lots of people have ADHD and anxiety ... or ADHD and depression ... so be open-minded as you go about getting help.

The social awkwardness you identify is something you can work on with a really good therapist. I literally had a therapist who scripted some lines to me ... because I couldn't come up with the right lines in various situations. Once I understood how and why these lines "worked" ... I was able to understand some of the underlying principles of good communication so now I can improvise my way through lots of different kinds of conversations.

So what's your plan for diagnosis and/or treatment?

Tone