View Full Version : Just got fired

BloopLoops
06-05-17, 12:37 PM
Been with this company for a long time and this morning I was let go for reasons attributed to my anxiet,dyslexia,add, bipolar disorder. Apparently even with accommodation in place I was "not a good fit".

I suppose this is another example of my ADD combo pack of disorders being a gift? At the moment I am not so sure I am fee that way. Living with all this stuff sure keeps things interesting.

Traveler5
06-05-17, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sure Canada has employment protection laws for the disabled. Do you think they legally dismissed you?

Regardless, getting canned is a bad experience. It's happened to me more than I care to tell. I am also currently unemployed but I quit the company I was working for -- I was there for 8 years. This past year I was under new management and I got tired of fearing for my job and gave them my 2 week notice and then left. That was one month ago today. I am actually very happy to be out of that job. They treated me very poorly, held money back from me, and I was under constant pressure that was unreasonable. I was happy to walk out of there. Of course my ADHD didn't help. It just aggravated the situation all the more.

I hope you find new employment very soon. All the best to you.

By the way, in no way are any of your disorders a "gift". In my case, ADHD and GAD are not gifts. They are a deterrent and a disability.

dvdnvwls
06-05-17, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear that happened.

Accommodations can only be made to go a certain distance; if your various conditions combine to make the job description impossible to accomplish, it's not wrong for them to decide to find someone else.

I hope this difficult time ends by you finding a type of job that suits you a lot better.

Pilgrim
06-05-17, 05:54 PM
It's a terrible disappointing thing that this has happened to you. I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

BloopLoops
06-05-17, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
"ADHD and GAD are not gifts" I feel that so much right now. That is the exact combo that I am working with at the moment. I am seeing my shrink tomorrow and talk to him about the ADD component of my situation that has gone from some small part of my condition to totally sucking.

"Accommodations can only be made to go a certain distance; if your various conditions combine to make the job description impossible to accomplish, it's not wrong for them to decide to find someone else."

Totally agree, I am hopeful for the future. I seriously just figured out a couple of weeks ago that I am ADD. It is not even "official" yet. I seriously hope that this new awareness will get me on the right track. Through meds and practice I hope for improvement.

"It's a terrible disappointing thing that this has happened to you. I wish you the best in your future endeavours."
Thanks Pilgrim

WheresMyMind
06-05-17, 11:25 PM
Been with this company for a long time and this morning I was let go for reasons attributed to my anxiet,dyslexia,add, bipolar disorder. Apparently even with accommodation in place I was "not a good fit".

I suppose this is another example of my ADD combo pack of disorders being a gift? At the moment I am not so sure I am fee that way. Living with all this stuff sure keeps things interesting.

Dunno about Canada, but in the US, "reasonable accommodations" still allows termination if the employer decides, ultimately, that you simply can't do the job well enough for their needs, even with accommodation.

I've been terminated many, many times, and after the first few times, i began feeling a sense of relief each time - after all, I knew long before the termination that I simply was not keeping up with the work and had begun having anxiety about when it was going to happen.

WheresMyMind
06-05-17, 11:27 PM
Totally agree, I am hopeful for the future. I seriously just figured out a couple of weeks ago that I am ADD. It is not even "official" yet.

I would encourage you to select different words. It may seem trivial, but your brain listens to your words more closely than it does anybody else's.

"I am ADD" suggests that ADD defines who you are. It does not, any more than having a cold, asthma or cancer defines who you are (I have had all three, so I speak from experience). ADD may alter the ways in which you approach life, but your personality is MUCH more than the ADD/GAD traits.

You would not say "I am liver cancer", if you had it - you'd say "I have liver cancer". I encourage that phrasing - and belief - about your ADD. It sure helped me go from hopeless to hopeful. Which didn't change that fact that things were hard, but it sure made it easier to be hopeful about it.

WMM

BloopLoops
06-06-17, 01:10 AM
I hear you WheresMyMind. I am in a very strange place of trying to accept myself and how deeply my ADD symptoms affect my behavior but at the same time redefining myself, carer and my ability to conduct my life.

It is on one hand accepting the condition and saying OK so this is never going away and it will always affect ways I behave. And on the other hand saying those behaviors do not define who I am or what I do. ADD is just something I have.

I feel that now that I have woken up in my forties to what everyone else has most likely been looking at for my entire life. I feel liberated to be who I am with more confidence. To not fear and suppress the symptoms of my ADD but to embrace them and hold them up to the light and let the chips fall where they may. Be the off the wall and eccentric person I am and stop spending all my energy trying to suppress it. I am going to keep working in that direction because all these years of trying to keep it in sucked. I am going to make this a new dawn for me. Time to get real with myself.

SecretlyaFish
06-06-17, 06:06 PM
That sucks man. I hope you find another job ASAP and don't sit on it too long, going too long without having one can sap the confidence from you pretty fast. Bipolar Disorder is certainly far more severe than ADD/ADHD. I would say that probably contributes a lot more. ADD/ADHD sucks but, if someone took away all the anxiety/self doubt etc away from you, leaving you with just the add disorder, you would likely function just fine, just a little quirky. My ADHD makes it really difficult to be consistent, and when combined with all the other things I've accumulated along the road, its much more severe than it should be. Good luck, and get a new job soon!

ginniebean
06-06-17, 07:56 PM
So sorry you're going thru such a frightening time.

BloopLoops
06-07-17, 10:10 AM
Trying to get assessed and treated quickly where I am is apparently a bit of a process. Went to see my shrink yesterday and he gave me a simple question sheet and said book another Appt so I can follow up. So that means a two month wait. That is as fast as I can get an Appt. So that did not work for me, I am in a state where I am obviously in a state where employment is an issue, I need to get some focus happening right away.

Went straight to my local emergency department because it was the remaining option. Got some great care there and advice as to what to do next. And a letter full of useful information for doctors. So today I am at phase three, at the er at a bigger hospital in a bigger city waiting to get assessed. Hopefully this goes better, I am told to expect a full day here. But that is ok with me as long as things keep moving forward.

BloopLoops
06-07-17, 10:15 AM
So sorry you're going thru such a frightening time.

It's funny I don't feel frightened. I feel like my confidence has gone way up. I know what I'm doing, I'm trying to get my head together so I can take care of my family,and of course myself. I just want to make the diagnoses official. For some reason that is very important to me right now. I want to try meds foe it as well.