View Full Version : Alcohol Intolerance related to adderall?

oddsoul212
06-06-17, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I can't find anything about this online. At least not in the context I need.
I've recently been diagnosed with adhd/add. Perscribed Adderall XR 10mg 2xday. I've been on it for almost two months now and it has helped.
I'm in my early twenties. I used to drink about every other weekend and could drink a good amount before getting drunk. Never threw up or became nauseated.
I've noticed the past couple of weeks that I can no longer drink. I immediately feel nauseated from just one sip. I don't understand why. Beer is what tipped me off. I love to just enjoy a beer after a long weekend working. Now after just one sip I have to pour it out. I'm wondering if the medicine is somehow causing this? I don't take it while I'm drinking. If I try to drink at all it is usually 6+ hours after my last dose of the day. Just worried if it is something more serious than just a side effect. Is it common to develop this sort of aversion to alcohol while on this medication?

sarahsweets
06-07-17, 04:40 AM
I dont know that Ive ever heard of this before but its possible.

excelsior
06-13-17, 01:48 PM
It's a good idea to NOT drink with meds. Talk to your doc. I quit drinking a while ago. I'll sometimes have *a* beer.

Snoopy10
06-26-17, 07:38 AM
Adderall makes me dehydrated so when I drink it does make me feel kind of nauseated. I wouldn't say it's an aversion but alcohol is definitely not as appealing for me. It's also kind of not worth it because Adderall diminishes the effects of alcohol. All that being said, if you want to have a beer or two, just make sure you've had plenty of water and eat before, that might help.

Most people on here will warn about us ADHD-ers and substance abuse and not drinking while on meds etc and that is all true. But having a few beers every other weekend doesn't seem to tread in that territory so my practical advice is food+water.