View Full Version : Vitamins and supplements to help with adhd?

agentducky
06-10-17, 11:40 AM
I was wondering if there are any over the counter vitamins and supplements i can take to help with my adhd. I currently take Ritalin and I like it and it works, but I can only take it in the morning or I have trouble with sleeping (even though I take sleeping pills too). So in the afternoon, the effects start to wear off and my productivity level goes down. I take a multivitamin and l tyrosine too. I asked my psychiatrist but she had no suggestions or any idea at all what could help. Obviously, nothing will be as effective as prescribed medication but I just need something that can help me be productive and won't keep me up at night.

dvdnvwls
06-10-17, 04:11 PM
Some people find fish oil helps them - others don't see much benefit.

If you're getting any caffeine at all, it can develop strong side effects and may prevent your Ritalin dosage from being as much as it needs to be. It's often better to quit caffeine and be able to take another little dose of Ritalin in the early afternoon. Caffeine feels like it's helping, but it doesn't help as much as prescription meds obviously.

Combined with Ritalin, for some people, even a quarter of a cup of coffee can create an unpleasant buzz and make it hard to sleep at night.

sarahsweets
06-11-17, 05:53 AM
I was wondering if there are any over the counter vitamins and supplements i can take to help with my adhd. I currently take Ritalin and I like it and it works, but I can only take it in the morning or I have trouble with sleeping (even though I take sleeping pills too). So in the afternoon, the effects start to wear off and my productivity level goes down. I take a multivitamin and l tyrosine too. I asked my psychiatrist but she had no suggestions or any idea at all what could help. Obviously, nothing will be as effective as prescribed medication but I just need something that can help me be productive and won't keep me up at night.

What kind of ritalin do you take and how much/what times?

agentducky
07-02-17, 11:01 AM
I just take 20mg in the morning. Ive tried doing twice a day ( even only 10mg at noon) but it becomes to hard to settle down to sleep at night even with taking clonidine.

agentducky
07-02-17, 11:11 AM
Im also looking for some supplements to help with the jitteriness/restlessness I get with ritalin. It's not a bad feeling, like the constant panic attack I got with concerta but i'd like to calm it down. I feel like I can't sit still and I talk a bit to much, which is good around acquaintances and strangers because im shy but im probably annoying the crap out of my family and friends.
And yes I have cut out caffeine, only caffeinated soda on special occasions and I have never liked coffee. With the ritalin i try to do to many things at once and get overwelmed, but its better than when I dont take it and I get nothing done and feel tired for no reason. I have a low energy type of ADHD, my brain is always going but my body is sluggish. You can probably tell I just took my pills by the amount of text in this post, (; .

sarahsweets
07-02-17, 03:07 PM
I just take 20mg in the morning. Ive tried doing twice a day ( even only 10mg at noon) but it becomes to hard to settle down to sleep at night even with taking clonidine.

Maybe its too much in 1 dose? Perhaps smaller more frequent doses would help.