View Full Version : Wellbutrin vs Stimulants?

Heyitsmeadd
06-10-17, 03:51 PM
Hello,

I am diagnosed ADD but have never tried stimulants.

Couple of months back I was on wellbutrin for depression and I found it very motivating and as a result was driven and working extra hard getting things done.

How do stimulants compare in this regard?

aeon
06-10-17, 08:37 PM
They don't, they contrast.

Cheers,
Ian

Heyitsmeadd
06-10-17, 10:58 PM
Care to elaborate?

sarahsweets
06-11-17, 05:51 AM
I think what aeon might mean is that they are completely different so you cant really compare them.

Heyitsmeadd
06-11-17, 02:40 PM
Well how are they different?

Obviously different mechanism and effect, but they do both improve productivity.

Any input appreciated.

Heyitsmeadd
06-12-17, 04:14 PM
Also, can they be taken together?

aeon
06-12-17, 06:08 PM
Also, can they be taken together?

Yes, they can.

Well, at least, I do.

Some may not tolerate the combination.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
06-12-17, 06:11 PM
I never found bupropion motivating in any way. (For me) it has an effect on overall mood state, or baseline mood, but in terms it being energizing, or motivating, it doesn’t do that for me (at 300mg/day or 450mg/day).

Cheers,
Ian

Heyitsmeadd
06-16-17, 04:44 PM
Interesting. I did find bupropion very motivating but at the same time sedating!! Not energizing at all. Funny how these meds affect people differently.

mcdisney
07-08-17, 09:57 PM
I took Wellbutrin for a couple of years for depression and anxiety, but switched to Lexapro four years ago. Both are great meds that work for many people; I just do better on Lexapro. I no longer have the mental blocks against doing chores or work that I used to have. It doesn't feel like Lexapro or Wellbutrin pushed motivation or energy on me; I've just become more functional since treating the disorders that were blocking me.

I now take Lexapro and Vyvnse together, and I know it's not unusual for people to take Wellbutrin in conjunction with ADHD stims. I say ask for the Wellbutrin again, since it worked for you, and start from there. You might find that your ADD symptoms are caused by depression and/or anxiety, and that they improve with just the Wellbutrin.

I added the Vyvanse because I struggled with conveying my thoughts verbally on-the-fly; I got really flustered, forgot every word I ever knew, and sounded senile. It hadn't actually gotten worse; it was just a bigger problem when I moved into a management position. The Vyvanse helps that, but I still take the Lexapro for the mood disorders.

In a nutshell... Wellbutrin and stims treat different conditions, but all of those conditions share many symptoms, so different meds work for different people based on what the underlying cause is. Hope this helps!