View Full Version : What should I do?

Vutu77
06-10-17, 10:01 PM
I was diagnosed with ADD with inattention a year ago, because my concentration got really horrible at that point and my depression was getting worst. My sleep schedule, studying and everything is still messed up now.

Currently, I am prescribed Concerta 72 mg and it does not help my symptoms. The doctor decided to start me on Strattera, but the government does not cover it due to its high cost. So, my doctor sent three demands for covering the cost. After the refusal of the second demand, I have received this time a letter from the government (I am from Quebec), it says that the government insurance pays the cost of Strattera for the treatement of ADD if "the use of methylphenidate and of dexamphetamine has not succeeded in controlling the observed symptoms".

I have no problem trying Strattera, but what made me more suspicious with the doctor's decision is that when I asked him about "what did the government meant by saying using dexamphetamine in the letter", he abruptly cut me and said: "Oh that's just ritalin", which I did indeed tried before. Therefore, I knew he lied.

Another problem with this, my doctor doesn't know that I am currently using Crystal meth on weekend. Therefore, he thinks that my symptoms with Concerta aren't that severe. Although, I am worried to tell him that because of future repercussions, such as the insurance not covering a surgery because of illegal substance uses. What I mean is, how can I now trust my doctor if I tell him this? At the same time, I cannot ignore the fact that I am using street meth, because they contain dangerous contaminatants. I hate the fact that I am knowingly putting poison in my mouth. This keeps bugging me for many months.

ToneTone
06-10-17, 10:24 PM
Go ahead and tell the doctor.

It's his job to help you stop using drugs. There is patient confidentiality. Doctors don't call the cops ...

Doctors are shockingly nonjudgmental ... they see people with all kinds of destructive behaviors ... and addictive behaviors ... Your job is not to put on a good face ... but to tell the doctor EXACTLY what is going on ...

The drug use was really something you wanted to tell the doctor IMMEDIATELY ... because he can't possibly be treating you well without having that information ... At minimum, tell SOME doctor what's going on.

We hire doctors to help us ... they are not our friends ... they are working for us ...

Good luck.

Tone

Vutu77
06-11-17, 12:13 AM
The problem is that he lied to me about dexamphetamine even if the lie was too obvious. So, it makes me more hesitant to reveal everything, especially knowing that this could have future consequences.

aeon
06-11-17, 12:25 AM
Because you do not know his intent, or lack thereof, you do not know whether he lied or not.

All you know is that his answer was incorrect.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
06-11-17, 04:06 AM
Are you addicted to the meth

GoalieMel33
06-11-17, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about it much. The sentence you quoted refers to what what prescribed to you in the past not drug use, I'm pretty sure. I'm also from Quebec and on public health insurance. I take concerta which has the same ''conditions/criterias'' as your med.

It was the first med I was prescribed for ADHD although it says it should be rx if short acting stimulants were tried and failed. My report recommended a long acting medicine since I wouldn't forget to take it.

My doctor was fine with that and I had no problem with the pharmacy, the cost is covered. As long as your md thinks it's fine to prescribe it to you, that shouldn't be an issue.

Don't hesitate to be honest with your doctor too if your budget is limited, they might help you find cheaper alternatives. If you're not sure, maybe you could check with both your insurance (whether it's private with your employer or the RAMQ) and your pharmacy aout the Straterra cost.

sarahsweets
06-12-17, 04:55 AM
Don't hesitate to be honest with your doctor too if your budget is limited, they might help you find cheaper alternatives. If you're not sure, maybe you could check with both your insurance (whether it's private with your employer or the RAMQ) and your pharmacy aout the Straterra cost.

About the drug use too.

sabres12
06-12-17, 09:32 PM
Can't help with the meth part, but on the cost front, my insurance covers brand name Strattera atomoxetine at 40%, but the generic atomoxetine at 100%. Apo brand I believe is what I've been prescribed and have been using for the past 9ish years with me only paying a portion of the dispensing fee. I'm in Alberta, but I'd imagine the generic would be more likely covered at a higher % compared with brand name in QC.