View Full Version : Need for speed???

Greyhound1
06-11-17, 01:29 AM
Does anybody else besides myself and aeon have a need to drive fast? I catch myself driving home from work today on I-95 going between 100-115 mph for miles. I was leading a pack of about 4 or 5 other cars behind me trying to follow the path I had carved.

I honestly wasn't racing, I had just become fed up. I was dangerously cut off several times and in a cluster of traffic. When I saw some daylight I took off to distance myself from them. I guess a few others liked my idea and joined in. I was planning on slowing down but.....

Once, I see them behind me, slowing down goes out the window. In order to stay in front I sped up. I got up to those speeds for about 8 miles going in and out of mild traffic before I finally thought "what the hell are you doing!!!". Meds wore off and I got carried away with a need for speed. It's a guilty pleasure.

I enjoy going fast on water even more. Have gone over 100 mph many times on an Allison Bass boat too.

Going fast today, I noticed how calm, focused and stimulated my mind was on driving. Things were going in slow motion. Never once did I feel like I made an unsafe movement or had any fear. I am very OCD with maintenance & performance and know my vehicle is very sound. 2 weeks ago got new set of tires W rated for 168 mph. Can't be too safe.;)

Possibly losing my license if caught was my only concern. It becomes much more concerning only after the fact and not so much before and during.

Anyone else get more stimulation going fast than you do from your meds.?

aeon
06-11-17, 02:03 AM
I don't even need to go fast exactly, but I like technical sections at speed.

Then again, I took a little ride on a BMW S1000RR, and it was amazing how quiet my mind got, how still, with just precision focus on the activity.

I love torque over horsepower, and even if more engine can be a pleasure, a lighter chassis that responds and has flick-factor is just a joy.

I live in MN and it would be silly, but I sometimes think a third-gen Mazda Miata with a turbo would be a fun little car.

The best driving experience I ever had was one of two events...

First was driving in a construction zone where it was super-dense, technical weaving, no shoulder, narrow lanes, and everyone was doing 80mph. It was a situation where if anyone made an error, lots of people would be eating a **** sandwich. It was brilliant, I was so in the zone, with flow.

The other was driving on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago on a summer Friday night. Once again, dense traffic, and everyone was doing over 100mph, no brake lights, just flowing, and that meant the cops too.

I test drove a Porsche GT3RS recently on a track, and it was just lovely to have that kind of pull...and to hear the sound of 8500rpm.

And I love the feeling of lateral Gs...

Oh dear, now I've worked myself up to the point of thinking about a late-night drive.

The vibration from a superbike when over 12,500rpm is a pleasure, especially when accompanied by that rev scream, it's just perfect, the world dissolves away, and there is just the upcoming curve and the downshift blip.

Cheers,
Ian

namazu
06-11-17, 02:14 AM
No. I don't find it pleasurable to endanger other people with my car, and I've done enough driving to see too many terrible accidents.

On the open road, I like being able to get where I'm going faster, but it doesn't do much for me in terms of mental clarity or pleasure.

I do find motorcycle riding (at normal speeds) thrilling.

aeon
06-11-17, 02:19 AM
Also, a 2JZ-GTE drop-in for Sexy Lexie would just be brilliant, both for the grunt, but also for the suspension reworking so it wouldn't squat, lol, but also because I like the feeling of the road.

I don't like a plush ride. I like a ride where I feel everything through the steering wheel and seat. Feedback to read the road so I can know when I can push it and when I should not.

That vibration is energy, and is soothing.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
06-11-17, 02:27 AM
No. I don't find it pleasurable to endanger other people with my car.

I don't either and that wasn't the question or the topic.

aeon
06-11-17, 02:49 AM
I'll use a boost of speed to get away from a cluster of smartphone-using drivers who are creating an unsafe situation, but otherwise, no hooliganism that would endanger anyone other than myself.

Empty country roads? Let the time trials begin. :yes:

And for what it is worth, I've seen some YouTube videos of Floridian interstate. Those babies are crying out for triple digits. :p

Cheers,
Ian

dvdnvwls
06-11-17, 11:00 AM
I like driving, but I've never caught the speed virus. :)

midnightstar
06-11-17, 12:02 PM
I get scared driving at near the speed limit on fast roads :o (scared in a bad way, not a thrill way) :o

Unmanagable
06-11-17, 01:44 PM
I don't have a "need" for it, but I thoroughly enjoy exceeding the speed limit by 20ish or 30ish miles on open roads every now and again with no other vehicles in sight. Used to LOVE doing that in my teens and early twenties on full moon nights with no headlights on!

It's more of a rush and thrill for me than it is calming in any way. The few times I experienced high triple digit speeds as a passenger made me not want to go quite that fast. My default what ifness thinking of potential disasters goes on overload and squashes the potential thrill.

While driving on crowded highways and such (as little as possible), knowing how distracted and unsafe many others choose to be, I tend to not go more than five miles over the speed limit unless I'm passing someone.

If someone rides my bumper aggressively, then I slow down to the exact speed limit, but never in the passing lane. I stay to the right with my law abiding speeds and hope like hell no one mows me over before I make it to my destination. Interstate driving exhausts me. Maybe that's why you'd rather speed on through it? No time for exhaustion? lol

Joker_Girl
06-12-17, 09:36 AM
I love just putting the hammer down and romping on it.
I would probably get a tremendous kick out of driving a race car.
I cant stand anyone to be in front of me, and i pass everyone.
I am not a particularly wild or crazy driver, but i like to go fast, it pleases me in the same way a roller coaster does, that feeling right when you get to the top, and you see that first drop, and you think, oh, no, let me off...and then you go over, it's just pure ecstacy.
Sometimed, if there is no one around, out on the highway, i will just floor it.
It feels SO GOOD.
Lol
Yesss aaah

aeon
06-12-17, 10:12 AM
I love just putting the hammer down

http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/prostern.gif

Squealin’ and Peelin’,
Ian

Stevuke79
06-12-17, 12:05 PM
going fast gives us something to do and occupies our mind. Yes, I find it easier to drive when I'm going fast, but I try not to.

One technique I have to keep driving "interesting" without speeding.. I use cruise control (just make sure you know how to use it properly)
Using CC is actually kind of interesting,.. and it keeps me from speeding or even wanting to speed.

Lunacie
06-12-17, 12:44 PM
I liked driving 10 or 20 mph over the limit when I was younger, before I was
concerned about that precious package in the back seat. Of course back then
I was mostly driving on hiways with very little traffic other than cattle trucks.
Never that much faster on a road with lots of traffic.

Like Namazu I've seen some serious car crashes and I don't want to be in one
like that. The ones I have been in have been traumatic enough. Especially the
last one when I was waiting on a two-lane country hiway to make a left turn,
with 3 or 4 vehicles waiting patiently behind me.

Then along comes a speeder who can't stop quickly enough or didn't want to
stop, and as soon as the left lane cleared of the traffic that I waiting on he
zipped into that lane to pass all those stopped cars. WHAT was he thinking?

That road has very steep ditches and when the other driver smashed my left
front fender he was diverted into the left hand ditch where his pretty little red
SUV rolled at least 4 times. I was too busy struggling to stay on the road and
not roll over myself to count, but the drivers behind me did.

His dog was ejected from the car and ran off. The driver was running up and
down the road and the field calling for his dog. I was still sitting in the car,
grateful that I'd kept it from rolling over on me, letting my heart rate go
down, remembering how to breathe.

Was talking about it with my daughter just a couple of weeks ago. I'd been
wondering why my lower back had become more painful in the last three
years than it had been for a long time. That car crash was just before my
back began getting worse and more painful. I'm practically in a wheelchair
now. Thanks so much speed demon! /sarcasm

Lunacie
06-12-17, 12:47 PM
I love just putting the hammer down and romping on it.
I would probably get a tremendous kick out of driving a race car.
I cant stand anyone to be in front of me, and i pass everyone.
I am not a particularly wild or crazy driver, but i like to go fast, it pleases me in the same way a roller coaster does, that feeling right when you get to the top, and you see that first drop, and you think, oh, no, let me off...and then you go over, it's just pure ecstacy.
Sometimed, if there is no one around, out on the highway, i will just floor it.
It feels SO GOOD.
Lol
Yesss aaah

Me ... I'd rather have everyone in front of me when driving. I HATE HATE
HATE having some guy right up on my bumper, filling my whole rearview
mirror, closer and closer and closer ...

Joker_Girl
06-12-17, 02:31 PM
Me ... I'd rather have everyone in front of me when driving. I HATE HATE
HATE having some guy right up on my bumper, filling my whole rearview
mirror, closer and closer and closer ...

Ya, i don't like that, either. If someone comes up on me like I am standing still, and then won't go around me, literally will just keep riding right on my tail...I will pull over and make them go around me. Especially if it is a semi or something. I think that is a lot of why I will pass everyone, is I dont like a bunch of vehicles right around me. It makes me anxious.

Another thing that makes me mad is if there are multiple lanes, and someone will get in the passing lane, and go slow. Eventually, I will try to get around them in the regular lane, if they don't get back over within several minutes. Right when I try to get around them, ALWAYS, is when they will not look and will just get back over. I have got pushed over to the shoulder to avoid them, or if there are no cars around me, had to slam on the brakes.

Of course i have road rage. I am not proud of it, but it is just how i am. I wont honk at or flip anyone off, but i will definitely cuss if i am alone in the car.

Lunacie
06-12-17, 02:46 PM
Ya, i don't like that, either. If someone comes up on me like I am standing still, and then won't go around me, literally will just keep riding right on my tail...I will pull over and make them go around me. Especially if it is a semi or something. I think that is a lot of why I will pass everyone, is I dont like a bunch of vehicles right around me. It makes me anxious.

Another thing that makes me mad is if there are multiple lanes, and someone will get in the passing lane, and go slow. Eventually, I will try to get around them in the regular lane, if they don't get back over within several minutes. Right when I try to get around them, ALWAYS, is when they will not look and will just get back over. I have got pushed over to the shoulder to avoid them, or if there are no cars around me, had to slam on the brakes.

Of course i have road rage. I am not proud of it, but it is just how i am. I wont honk at or flip anyone off, but i will definitely cuss if i am alone in the car.

When there's room to pull over and get someone to pass me, that's what I do.
But there's a 5 mile highway just outside our town that I take 3 days a week
during the summer (once a week the rest of the year) and there's no place to
pull over unless I totally pull off on a side road.

The other option is a 4-lane divided highway where the drivers are often like
you describe, changing lanes with no warning, hogging the passing lane,
being totally unpredictabe. I avoid those highways when possible.

Had to take the family to the airport across town a few weeks ago on a 6 lane
freeway that kept narrowing and slowing due to construction. In the dark.
Total freaking nightmare. After I dropped them off, I simply started crying.
Took surface streets home.

I used to be very bad about flipping people off, before I began taking Zoloft
for my anxiety. Now I generally put my hands up, fingers spread, in a "WTF"
gesture. Seems to work better than the flipping finger instead of ******* off
the other driver.

dvdnvwls
06-12-17, 11:07 PM
I am normally pretty placid as a driver, but if I'm highly stressed and angry, I don't yell or curse or make rude signs - I drive very aggressively instead. Believe me, the yelling and the "improvised sign language" are better solutions, but somehow they are beyond my comprehension when things get bad.

sarahsweets
06-13-17, 04:52 AM
I have a running dialogue while driving and my husband thinks its so funny he wants to set up a hidden camera in the car! if you could hear me you would die. But you would never know by my driving that I feel the way I do about other drivers. Its sort of like venting or ranting verbally while driving keeps me from going crazy.

Unmanagable
07-02-17, 11:53 AM
I just realized my need for speed lies much more in the lawn mower arena than it does the vehicle arena. I wish I could kick that damn thing into turbo. Imagine the lawn art possibilities. :)

psychopathetic
07-02-17, 05:20 PM
Not me. Not anymore.

I use to when I got my first car...I blame that on the stupid movie The Fast & The Furious though :lol: :doh:.

I stick pretty much exactly to the speed limit as much as I can. I've usually little to no desire to go any faster. If there's someone going a bit slower ahead of me, I'm more likely to slow down a bit and follow than I am to make any attempt to pass them (unless I'm on a 2 or more lane freeway).

Is the need for speed more of a hyperactive thing? Cause I'm not hyperactive at all. I'm hypoactive! lol...that should be a real word!
I don't seek out thrills either. I'm super boring. Can't stand amusement rides...would NEVER jump out of a plane in a million years...don't like to gamble.

Omg...I need to start driving faster! I'm so tediously boring! :faint:

--edit--
Interestingly enough...now that I'm thinking about it...I get a bit of that high from following people that some of you may experience when going fast! hahaha I'm serious! >.<'
I don't know why...but for years and years I've prided myself on how good of a driver I am to have behind you. Especially if you're driving a semi. I strive to give you plenty of room between us so you don't feel anxious, and I try to keep myself in view at all times of a semi's side rear view mirror (one or the other). It gives me something to focus on...I get all proud about it lol...I wonder if the guy ahead of me appreciates all the effort I'm taking on his behalf. Gives me a bit of a 'kick'. lol what a boring thing to get a kick out of! :lol:

psychopathetic
07-02-17, 05:41 PM
I just realized my need for speed lies much more in the lawn mower arena than it does the vehicle arena. I wish I could kick that damn thing into turbo. Imagine the lawn art possibilities. :)

https://www.smallblock.dk/Billeder/Avatars/users/6c369744720882c90c662322a9d39388.jpg

https://a.d-cd.net/ca069e4s-960.jpg

lol

Little Missy
07-02-17, 06:19 PM
https://www.smallblock.dk/Billeder/Avatars/users/6c369744720882c90c662322a9d39388.jpg

https://a.d-cd.net/ca069e4s-960.jpg

lol

unsy a go-go!

psychopathetic
07-02-17, 06:24 PM
I especially like how the push mower has slick wheels! lol...perfect for gaining traction on some wet grass! :lol:

Little Missy
07-02-17, 06:36 PM
I especially like how the push mower has slick wheels! lol...perfect for gaining traction on some wet grass! :lol:

for laying a screeching patch!

Unmanagable
07-02-17, 06:46 PM
I think I'll need it modified with a pull along trailer for the push mower. lol I doubt if I could keep up with all that horsepower. Zoom, zoom, zoom!!!!

Lunacie
07-02-17, 06:48 PM
Ugh, I was driving 5 mph over the speed limit on the way home and the guy
behind me didn't think that was fast enough, so he crowded my bumper for
nearly 4 miles through the interchange (road work so only one lane available).

I finally reached the divided highway where I could move over and let him get
his speedy butt around me, and the girlfriend in the passenger seat was holding
her phone like she was taking a photo of ME for being a bad driver.

I already had my phone out and set on video as they went around to get a shot
of their tag and color/make of car and as they were going around the driver was
starting to get into my lane (slow lane) to hit his brakes but she told him I had
my phone out so they just kept going.

I just watched the 20/20 episode on road rage last night so I was chill and
ready to just film away instead of getting involved. Whew.

aeon
07-03-17, 01:04 PM
Is the need for speed more of a hyperactive thing?

In my case, it's part and parcel of being a stimulation junkie. I'm trying to wake up my brain.

This desire all but disappears when I am Dex'd.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
07-03-17, 03:46 PM
I think I'll need it modified with a pull along trailer for the push mower. lol I doubt if I could keep up with all that horsepower. Zoom, zoom, zoom!!!!

We just all need to chip in then and get you a Dixie Chopper! Lol.
HOME → NEWS & EVENTS → PRESS RELEASES → DIXIE CHOPPER EMPLOYEE SETS GUINNESS WORLD RECORD

Lawn mower manufacturer employee sets world record on zero-turn

COATESVILLE, INDIANA - NOVEMBER 18, 2014 - In mid August, Dixie Chopper Marketing Manager, Eli Kean set the Guinness World Record for “Largest Area of Grass Mowed by a Single-Deck Ride-On Lawn Mower in 24 Hours.”

Kean set the Guinness World Record at the 2,000 acre Molly Caren Agriculturjal Center in London, Ohio, home of the Ohio Farm Science Review trade show. From noon, August 19, to noon, August 20, Kean continuously mowed approximately 106.14 acres, using a Kawasaki powered Dixie Chopper XCaliber 3574.

“The majority of the terrain I mowed was pretty bumpy because it was basically a grassy parking lot,” Kean said. “In some areas, the grass was over 12 inches high and Guinness required that I cut at least 4 centimeters off the grass.”

To ensure speed and productivity, Kean had access to a second XCaliber 3574 when one mower needed to be serviced or refuelled. In order to see throughout the night, Kean had special LED lights added to the XCalibers. Kean also had to continue through the record attempt in extreme heat and rain.

“During the night, it began to lightning all around us but luckily it was way off into the distance,” Kean said. “I was happy that it only rained early in the morning for about an hour, it would have been difficult to mow for most of the 24 hours in the rain.”

Per Guinness World Record requirements, Dixie Chopper hired two adjudicators, which had no affiliation to the company, to stay the entire 24 hour period to make sure Kean mowed using the appropriate equipment. Dixie Chopper was also required to hire a local land surveyor to measure the exact amount of acreage mowed.

Following the record competition, the Dixie Chopper team and local media celebrated with a small reception and interview session. There, Kean explained the trials of mowing continuously for 24 hours and answered questions from the local media.

“While my back was a little sore, this was a great experience and it’s a pretty good feeling to know that I set a Guinness World Record,” Kean said.

About Dixie Chopper

Working in his barn near Greencastle, Indiana, Art Evans knew there had to be a better way, and in the year 1980 the first Dixie Chopper was born. Little did anyone know that he would lead the way to revolutionizing the entire lawn and garden industry by providing the first zero-turn lawn mowers built specifically for commercial mowing contractors.

Today Dixie Chopper continues to lead the industry in innovation and quality. Still family owned and operated, Evans remains active as the company's Chairman, but you won't find him sitting at a desk at Dixie Chopper headquarters (which is still located on the original property). He spends his days in the company's Research and Development department where he continues to provide ideas and inspiration to the Dixie Chopper engineering staff and manufacturing team.

Known as "the World's Fastest Lawn Mower," Dixie Chopper mowers are about much more than being fast. The company prides itself on providing quality and reliability in addition to speed. "It's not enough to just be fast," Evans states. "We need to be the best. We want to produce a mower that has many years of useable life left after it is paid for."

To learn more about Dixie Chopper and view the complete lineup of zero-turn lawn mowers, visit the company's website at dixiechopper.com