View Full Version : Obsessing over people, putting them on a pedestal

TurtleBrain
06-12-17, 03:13 AM
I have the tendency to obsess over acquaintances (before getting to personally know them) who seem unique in a particular way. My mind will place them on a pedestal, idolizing those their unique qualities. Now when this happens with someone around my age of the opposite gender, it can get a bit awkward.

Now sometimes I wonder if how I imagined a person to be like matches who they really are. It's as if they're famous and I'm just a big fan wondering what they're up to. It can seem a little stalkerish, but I have no intent to harm or frighten anyone.

My obsessions over an acquaintance doesn't last that long, especially after getting to know them. It's as if they got off from a fake plastic pedestal and you just see the ordinary human being they are with all their flaws.

sarahsweets
06-12-17, 04:57 AM
I have the tendency to obsess over acquaintances (before getting to personally know them) who seem unique in a particular way. My mind will place them on a pedestal, idolizing those their unique qualities. Now when this happens with someone around my age of the opposite gender, it can get a bit awkward.

Now sometimes I wonder if how I imagined a person to be like matches who they really are. It's as if they're famous and I'm just a big fan wondering what they're up to. It can seem a little stalkerish, but I have no intent to harm or frighten anyone.

My obsessions over an acquaintance doesn't last that long, especially after getting to know them. It's as if they got off from a fake plastic pedestal and you just see the ordinary human being they are with all their flaws.

Sometimes this has to do with being a people pleaser. Being a people pleaser is never good in the long run.

TurtleBrain
06-12-17, 06:47 AM
Sometimes this has to do with being a people pleaser. Being a people pleaser is never good in the long run.

Very true, in fact if a leader of any group or fanbase is a people pleaser, they only re-enforce the idealized image others have of them. Then the moment they fall short of it, people go hysterical and that leader or celebrity may lose many "friends" or "fans". It's easy for us humans to forget that other humans are human.

Gypsy Willow
06-12-17, 10:00 AM
I used to do this with guys I dated. Not anymore as I realized it's unhealthy. I'm thinking it's an ADD thing. They way we get easily "squee" over stuff. LOL!