View Full Version : Quitting Adderall After 8 Years

brandxm
06-12-17, 02:58 PM
Like many have stated, I have been a lurker on the forums for 8 years since I was diagnosed with adult ADHD. Since that time I've consistently taken Adderall XR 25 without any changes in dosage every day since that time. Due to a change in my insurance, it was cancelled, my Pdoc obviously wants to be paid for his time and I can't afford to pay for that plus the medication out of pocket.

While Adderall worked well for me, I've decided that I hate being chained to my shrink and these meds. When I think of the travelling I might want to do or want to plan anything spontaneous for longer than 30 days, the first thing I have to think about is "what about my meds". I hate that feeling. While my Pdoc is fine - I don't like someone having this sort of power over me. I'm from LA which is ground zero for adderall abuse for a number of reasons. As such, my Pdoc rightfully will not write scripts 3 months in advance like many I have read on here. I believe it might also be illegal in CA. When I studied abroad to get my masters, my parents had to basically get the script from him each month and then illegally ship it to me until the Uni insurance kicked in.

It looks like I might be able to get my insurance reinstated at a great expense in the next few days, but since he won't see me until then, my hope is that if I can make it through the next few days, I just won't get back on it. I have not abused my prescription, never taken it for fun, and have never needed to keep upping my dose to get the the same effects. Honestly, I was quite adverse to keeping on a stimulant to begin with. Once we figured out the proper dosage in the beginning, it's been very consistent this whole time.

I have read a lot of blogs, especially quitting adderall.com. To me, it seems like a lot of those threads are for people who are not quite legit in their usage and/or are abusing it. [I]Just a side note that that those who start using/abusing it to "get through school" or "need it to function b/c of the high" really bother me. It's examples like this that give people with legit ADHD a bad name and paints the rest of us with the junkie brush. Actions of abusers have put a stigma on ADHD treatment as a whole and thus when life happens to someone properly managing their condition (losing a script, etc), those who have been responsible are left to suffer and be questioned.

Anyhow, I wanted to share the first couple of days for those who have thought about getting off of Adderall for whatever your reasons might be.

Day 1:

-Restlessness
-Inability to focus on one thing (started a movie, than switched to a book, then stopped to go online)
-Cigaretts don't taste as good (I'm not a regular smoker, but when I am stressed, I'll smoke for a finite period until the situation has passed and then quit)
-A slight increase of social anxiety (trouble making eye contact without feeling awkward, wanting to interrupt which is a big problem of mine)
-BRAIN FOG - Adderall felt like it blew the fog away within 20 minutes of taking it
-This odd mix of a calm edginess is the best way to describe it. Thankfully I started on a Sunday, so I had some wine at brunch to take the edge off. Today is Monday, so I won't self medicate like that today.
-Doing the basics like forgetting to leave the house with keys
-Feeling lethargic/tired but also not falling asleep

Day 2 (Today):
-Overslept - I'm self employed and start my day with the gym in the early AM even before I took my Adderall (take it after when I am showering to start the day). Today I skipped my alarm and slept until 9:30am (12 hours sleep)
-Just picking out what to wear made me think and rethink
-Slower at everything - even answering a stupid text takes me time to think and then rethink the response
-Writing this post, I know it's fraught with errors even though I am trying to proof read

I don't have this craving for the pill other than it would be nice to not feel like this. I see that the moderator will often ask, "why stop taking something that works for you". I think the answer is to just see what happens. Pre Adderall I had drive and was creative just had problems following through. On Adderall over the last few years I noticed I wasn't on my A-game anymore, I started to feel bits a rage. Cons might be outweighing the pros.

The good news is that while I feel all of the above, this doesn't feel like a benzo withdrawal - no panic attacks or crazy thoughts but it's early going. I wouldn't describe it as hell, but maybe purgatory - I feel neither here nor there. Definitely do not feel good.

The first few days I think the goal is to just try to do the best I can with my day to day, rest up, and try to stay calm. If you can choose a time where you aren't excessively busy and/or can take a few days off that would probably be ideal. I don't think there ever is really a good time. I definitely need to be working every day, so I am really hoping this doesn't mess with my income - definitely pay check to pay check unfortunately.

I'll keep you updated! I hope this helps, but more than anything thanks for letting me vent!

BlackWarrior
06-12-17, 03:11 PM
I just want to point out that it is not illegal for doctors to write triplicates for C2 or any medication. They will write "do not fill before 6/12" on the 2nd script and "do not fill before 7/12" on the 3rd script. I'm also from L.A. and visit my pdoc quarterly (once every 3 months) for triplicate scripts for adderall. You need to find another doctor.

sarahsweets
06-13-17, 04:14 AM
While Adderall worked well for me, I've decided that I hate being chained to my shrink and these meds. When I think of the travelling I might want to do or want to plan anything spontaneous for longer than 30 days, the first thing I have to think about is "what about my meds". I hate that feeling. While my Pdoc is fine - I don't like someone having this sort of power over me. I'm from LA which is ground zero for adderall abuse for a number of reasons. As such, my Pdoc rightfully will not write scripts 3 months in advance like many I have read on here. I believe it might also be illegal in CA. When I studied abroad to get my masters, my parents had to basically get the script from him each month and then illegally ship it to me until the Uni insurance kicked in.

I understand what you are saying but I guess I just do not look at it the same way. I dont see myself chained to the medication or my doctor. I try my best to plan ahead and if you have a doctor that you have been seeing on a long term basis, you can talk it out with them. Have you ever shared these concerns with your doc? Have you ever told him or her that you cant afford the $ or hassle and see what they say. Some doctors, when they see the difficulty their patients have are more willing to work with you.
I guess I dont want you to feel guilty for needing meds, or that all is lost.

It looks like I might be able to get my insurance reinstated at a great expense in the next few days, but since he won't see me until then, my hope is that if I can make it through the next few days, I just won't get back on it. I have not abused my prescription, never taken it for fun, and have never needed to keep upping my dose to get the the same effects. Honestly, I was quite adverse to keeping on a stimulant to begin with. Once we figured out the proper dosage in the beginning, it's been very consistent this whole time.

Why were you adverse to being on a stimulant?

I have read a lot of blogs, especially quitting adderall.com. To me, it seems like a lot of those threads are for people who are not quite legit in their usage and/or are abusing it. [I]Just a side note that that those who start using/abusing it to "get through school" or "need it to function b/c of the high" really bother me. It's examples like this that give people with legit ADHD a bad name and paints the rest of us with the junkie brush. Actions of abusers have put a stigma on ADHD treatment as a whole and thus when life happens to someone properly managing their condition (losing a script, etc), those who have been responsible are left to suffer and be questioned.

I agree with you on this.

I don't have this craving for the pill other than it would be nice to not feel like this. I see that the moderator will often ask, "why stop taking something that works for you". I think the answer is to just see what happens. Pre Adderall I had drive and was creative just had problems following through. On Adderall over the last few years I noticed I wasn't on my A-game anymore, I started to feel bits a rage. Cons might be outweighing the pros.
Well if thats the case, have you ever thought about something like dexedrine?

wonderboy
06-18-17, 01:36 AM
Many people, including some doctors, will tell you that there is no withdraw from amphetamine. The truth is there is withdraw i

It simply makes sense that.. if a individual takes a potent central nervous system related medication --every single day for eight years--, that, upon stopping,the body is going to react...and react swiftly and harshly

Although it is true it is not as severe, obviously, as opioid withdrawal and withdraw from other medications there are marked symptoms that in my opinion we could last for months.

The most clinically relevant symptoms would be profound somnolence, depression ( primarily dysthymia) and lethargy.

The brain has significant - neuroplasticity - and can recover from changes in neurotransmitter functioning, but it will take time and patience

Pilgrim
06-18-17, 07:14 AM
I'm glad that I don't have to jump through to many hoops in order to get treatment and medication. Part of me just can't see myself just not taking medication, and no , I don't think it's addiction.
Must say sometimes some side effects seem prohibitive. But I've never had a problem with creativity. My creativity is better.