View Full Version : Tired of trying and about to settle....

OddballRoberts
06-14-17, 02:28 PM
Hey all,
I've posted about this a few times and the story gets better and better. I'm kidding. Sort of. Long story short, my insurance doesnt cover Vyvanse. My new psychiatrist so far, has had me try Concerta, Metadate, Adderall and now Dexedrine ER. Dexedrine has worked the best so far and i'm taking 4 10mg sr pills daily.

After a while, taking them all at 8am for work wasn't lasting as long of course. Told him and he suggested splitting them up. Maybe 3 in the morning or 1 in the evening. I tried that and still felt the wearoff in the afternoon which is when my work picks up and gets crazy. I asked about a booster for the afternoon like Adderall 5 or 10mg (I have been prescribed that before). He said if we do that, we have to cut back the Dexedrine to 30mg a day. I'm guessing he doesnt feel comfortable prescribing a higher dose. I'm just gonna go with it and not ask anymore. I'm frustrated and tired of trying to get this **** right. I may end up going back to my other insurance and get back on Vyvanse if need be. Just wanted to know your thoughts and experiences with this. Thanks!

sarahsweets
06-14-17, 02:45 PM
I dont understand your doctor. As far as I know 60mg is the max for both dexedrine and adderall is 60mg.

OddballRoberts
06-14-17, 03:12 PM
I dont either. He's a super nice guy and is very prompt in getting back to me but not willing to bend. Maybe i need to be more persistent or vocal. I dunno

CharlesH
06-15-17, 01:26 AM
As I understand it, the 60 mg/day max is simply an FDA recommendation for pediatrics, and doctors can prescribe higher than that. Also, the dose only refers to the amphetamine portion. Since dexedrine contains a 1:1 mixture (dextro)amphetamine and sulfate, 60 mg of dexedrine is actually less than 60 mg of (dextro)amphetamine. The sulfate doesn't count towards the max dose.

sarahsweets
06-28-17, 06:05 AM
I think you need to point blank ask him why he is unwilling to prescribe medication in a way that works for you if it doesnt go against any sort of guidelines and is FDA approved for this purpose.