View Full Version : Alcohol use while taking medication

softballmomx2
06-14-17, 07:16 PM
I am currently taking Zoloft 200 mg, Vyvanse 50 mg, and Buspar 15 mg (twice a day to equal 30 mg). I have been taking these for almost 5 months and feel wonderful with no bad side effects.

I am not a heavy drinker and never have been, but I do like to have a drink or two on 1-2 week nights and I usually drink on a Friday or Saturday with my max being 3 drinks. I define a "drink" as 2 standard shot glasses full of tequila poured into a diet Mountain Dew.

I have noticed that it does not take much at all to make me feel buzzed because I can feel it after only one drink. I don't drive ever even after a sip of alcohol.

My question is besides it increasing the effects of the meds is there any long term effect of combining meds and moderate alcohol use? I'm still a bit of a worrier and worry I will damage my liver more so than by drinking without meds :faint:

Anyone else drink a few nights a week and take medication?

dvdnvwls
06-14-17, 07:42 PM
The only real problem with Vyvanse and alcohol is that when there is Vyvanse left in your body you can get too drunk and still feel/believe that you're OK. If you're satisfied to count your drinks and stick to your old limits even though you might not subjectively feel as tipsy as you used to, then you're OK as far as Vyvanse is concerned.

The other drugs I know nothing.

softballmomx2
06-14-17, 07:51 PM
I meticulously "count" my drinks and measure the alcohol in a shot glass. Yes I have OCD, can you tell?

I totally feel in control of the amount of drinking and my behavior/safety while drinking, but feared internal damage I may not be aware of.

sarahsweets
06-15-17, 03:31 AM
I have noticed that it does not take much at all to make me feel buzzed [because I can feel it after only one drink. I don't drive ever even after a sip of alcohol.
alcohol can be hard to manage. Sometimes by the time you notice you are buzzed its already too late.

My question is besides it increasing the effects of the meds is there any long term effect of combining meds and moderate alcohol use? I'm still a bit of a worrier and worry I will damage my liver more so than by drinking without meds :faint:

Anyone else drink a few nights a week and take medication?
I do not drink but If I did, I still wouldnt plan my meds around my drinking or plan my drinking around my meds.