View Full Version : Is dexamphetamine same as dextroamphetamine

Chrissy76
06-18-17, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and recently diagnosed with ADD.. I'm in Australia and Doc has put me on dexamphetamine and Prozac. Unfortunately we don't have Australian drug interaction checkers.. so had to use drugs.com to look up these two.. except dexamphetamine isn't listed.. only dextroamphetamine. When I select dextroamphetamine and Prozac there are interactions with theses two.

My question is.. is dextroamphetamine and dexamphetamine really the same thing? The reason I'm asking is coz I spoke to a doc on the phone last night and they said there is no interaction between Prozac and dexamphetamine. From searching online to try and find if they are made of the same thing.. well it's not clear. If dexamphetamine and dextroamphetamine are made of same thing then there will interactions with the two meds I'm on. So confused :confused:

aeon
06-18-17, 08:46 PM
Yes, they are the same.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
06-18-17, 08:48 PM
Welcome to the forum!

They are the same thing. The main concern I think is probably with serotonin syndrome. I think it's fairly safe to take both at low to moderate doses. Well, that goes for most anti depressants and stimulants. They both can raise serotonin levels.

Category: Prescription Drugs
Generic name: Dextroamphetamine

Dexamphetamine (also spelled dextroamphetamine) is a stimulant that is used for the treatment of narcolepsy and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. It is also used for obesity; depression; and abnormal behavioral syndrome in children.

dvdnvwls
06-19-17, 02:19 AM
You may sometimes see different manufacturers or distributors using the different spellings in some way that might seem to indicate something. However, there is NO difference in any way.

Regarding interactions, I think someone's been spending too much time with Dr. Google lately. :) There is always some tiny chance somehow, but in reality there is no interaction between these meds.

ysecretsquirrel
06-24-17, 10:05 AM
Even the word Amphetamine has several acceptable spellings.
My favorite Drug reference is here: https://www.drugbank.ca/
For a detail junky like me its all i could need or want in regards to pharmaceuticals.

ysecretsquirrel
06-24-17, 10:24 AM
Fluoxetine The metabolism of Dextroamphetamine can be decreased when combined with Fluoxetine. Approved, Vet Approved

CharlesH
06-24-17, 06:08 PM
Fluoxetine The metabolism of Dextroamphetamine can be decreased when combined with Fluoxetine. Approved, Vet Approved

What? This makes no sense.

Kunga Dorji
06-25-17, 09:07 PM
You may sometimes see different manufacturers or distributors using the different spellings in some way that might seem to indicate something. However, there is NO difference in any way.

Regarding interactions, I think someone's been spending too much time with Dr. Google lately. :) There is always some tiny chance somehow, but in reality there is no interaction between these meds.

Dextroamphetamine is the American spelling - dexamphetamine- English/ Australian

There is a possible serotonin syndrome effect if combined with SSRIs and other serotonergic drugs- but that is usually a low risk and the usual approach with these combinations is for the doctor to keep an eye on the patient and adjust the medications as required.

Vex187
07-31-17, 08:12 AM
Im curious about this myself. Just started on dex today and on prozac, also in oz and only have the choice of dex or methylphenidate. Do they cause issues used together? Only 40mg floux and 5mgx2 dex as a starter.

To be honest gotta say its been an intense first day, massive emotional outpouring and feeling flat more so than anything else. Figure it just might be an emotional impass that has been cleared, but no idea really. What were your experiences when first starting on it?