View Full Version : Cost of Vyvanse

eestudent
06-19-17, 01:11 AM
I'm switching health insurance and I'm running into some problems. It looks like my vyvanse is going to cost about $280-$300 a month. Is there anyway I can get that cost down? I don't meet the financial salary limits for Shire's financial assistance program.

mrh235
06-19-17, 03:01 AM
I'm switching health insurance and I'm running into some problems. It looks like my vyvanse is going to cost about $280-$300 a month. Is there anyway I can get that cost down? I don't meet the financial salary limits for Shire's financial assistance program.

Try and get your doctor to do a prior-authorization/appeal with your insurance company. If you're on medicaid it probably wont work. Some insurance can be such a scam at times like this >:(. I hate medicaid for that reason.

Swissy
06-19-17, 11:46 AM
I tried everything and even with coupons I was looking at relatively the same costs as you. For this reason I take adderall IR twice/ day. Costs me just under $70 for 60 pills.

mrh235
06-19-17, 04:24 PM
I tried everything and even with coupons I was looking at relatively the same costs as you. For this reason I take adderall IR twice/ day. Costs me just under $70 for 60 pills.

That's probably the best solution there is. Unfortunately there's no generic vyvanse till 2021, so that's lots of years with these ridiculous prices. :(

h_thrilla
06-19-17, 06:15 PM
I have a high deductible which translates to about $280 out of pocket a month. I have an HSA but still can't keep up with the cost. The manufacturer's coupon online did help; however, I still paid $206/month. I ended up switching to Adderall XR although its not much relief at the pocket at $140ish/mo. I am considering switching to a higher insurance premium during open enrollment just so I won't have a deductible. And I had zero clue about the Shire assistance program. Thank you; I think I may have to check that out!

CharlesH
06-24-17, 01:36 AM
In case this helps, keep in mind that, in general, the cost of medication is based primarily on the *number* of pills, not the dosage. You could probably replicate the effects of Vyvanse reasonably well by just taking generic IR Adderall or Dexedrine, and dividing the dosage into smaller dosages throughout the day. Most IR pills are scored so that you can divide it in half, or even fourths.

For instance, let's say 50 mg Vyvanse roughly equals 20 mg Adderall. Then you could take 10 mg IR Adderall in the morning, 5 mg IR Adderall around noon, and 5 mg IR Adderall late afternoon/early evening.

30 Vyvanse pills would cost around $250-300 out of pocket. 30 20mg IR generic Adderall pills would cost you around $20 out of pocket (plus your insurance would be more likely to cover it, so you could end up paying even less).

Clinical studies (if you believe them) seem to indicate that Vyvanse is slightly more efficacious on average than other stimulants, but YMMV, and generic IR Adderall/Dexedrine might be cost-effective. Also, part of the rationale behind expensive extended release medications is that it prevents school age children from needing to visit the school nurse to receive medication, which can be stigmatizing for a child. That's not an issue for adults.

kjo
06-30-17, 12:47 PM

Check with your doctors office, the reps bring all kinds of discount type cards. My doctor gave me a card that took $60 off what my insurance wouldn't cover so I ended up paying $75 for mine! But for me the increase cost compared to adderall outweighs the side effects I was having on it!

jimmyjames
07-16-17, 10:20 PM
I get mine for Aus $70 (normally $130) from epharmacy.com.au

My doctor had to set it up and send scripts. Works a treat.

D WoodIce
07-23-17, 05:17 PM
if on Vyvanse the logical step is to get prescribed generic dexamphetamine.

Adderall places more of a strain on your heart and blood vessels which is not needed.

sarahsweets
07-24-17, 04:55 AM
if on Vyvanse the logical step is to get prescribed generic dexamphetamine.

Adderall places more of a strain on your heart and blood vessels which is not needed.

Can you provide sources for this?

fathom6
08-01-17, 04:06 PM
Wondering what difference is there in cost, if Doc does prior-auth. The cost should be same right, whether through prior-auth, or through patient taking prescription to pharmacy? I dont presume there will be any difference, but if there is a difference in price, about how much is that difference?

Try and get your doctor to do a prior-authorization/appeal with your insurance company. If you're on medicaid it probably wont work. Some insurance can be such a scam at times like this >:(. I hate medicaid for that reason.

aeon
08-01-17, 04:50 PM
Back when I was on Medicaid, I trialed Vyvanse...my cost for a month was $3.

Now, if I were to pay out of pocket, my cost for a month’s supply would be (checking GoodRx on phone...)... $776.68.

Um, no...just no. :doh:

Yikes,
Ian

fathom6
08-01-17, 05:12 PM
I got it without insurance first time (since I didn't know much) for like $270 from Walmart. Second time, I used insurance plus I used a $60 coupon from Shire and it costed me $235 from CVS.

Back when I was on Medicaid, I trialed Vyvanse...my cost for a month was $3.

Now, if I were to pay out of pocket, my cost for a month’s supply would be (checking GoodRx on phone...)... $776.68.

Um, no...just no. :doh:

Yikes,
Ian

sarahsweets
08-02-17, 04:59 AM
Have you checked goodrx dot com?