View Full Version : How much reduction in drug effectiveness should be expected after eaten?

pierce21
06-19-17, 07:36 PM
I generally take my 10mg adderall IR at 10am after having eaten 8am(approximate) breakfast. I start to feel the effects in about 30 minutes. Sometimes I desire to eat again. Assuming I do not eat a food that counteracts the Adderall's effects, I often seen a significant decrease in the drug's effectiveness.
Example: I took 2nd dose at 2pm. 30 mins later I feel the drug. I eat a banana. Almost immediately the drug seems significantly subdued.

Also, the burst I feel after the 30 mins of haven taken the drug; should i expect that for the duration of the dose and if I don't feel it as strongly, does that mean that is the drug not working properly?:confused:

dvdnvwls
06-19-17, 08:22 PM
The feel doesn't matter. Stop checking for the feel.

Useful results are what counts, and they will be greater when you eat well.

pierce21
06-19-17, 09:01 PM
Thanks. That is pretty insightful into adhd treatment in general. Can you elaborate on that some more. For instance, how did you come to that realization or did a doctor tell you that? I have been so concerned with the feel of the drug for the last three years that I sometimes forget about the life changing results.

dvdnvwls
06-19-17, 10:55 PM
Someone on here told me one day. I saw that they were right.

wonderboy
06-20-17, 02:09 PM
I was completing some research for you and thought this might be helpful

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1185/030079902125000840

sarahsweets
06-28-17, 05:31 AM
I was completing some research for you and thought this might be helpful

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1185/030079902125000840
This study only looked at eating a high fat breakfast. Not eating in general so I think the results are misleading.
Because these once-daily formulations are usually taken in the morning, the timing of the doses with breakfast is important. This study compared the effect of a high-fat breakfast on early drug exposure from a morning dose of two extended-release stimulant formulations: the osmotic-controlled OROS® tablet of methylphenidate HCl (Concerta®) and the capsule containing extended-release beads of mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall XR™).

JustAHedgehog
06-28-17, 07:23 AM
It shouldn't affect it much if it's XR, instant release slightly but usually fat slows down absorption. acidic foods definitely decrease absorption. look up the pH in the food before you medicate. 1 to 6.9 is acidic and 7.1 to 14 is basic. you want basic food (no pun intended lol)