View Full Version : Calling all social workers, counselors, and nurses

Iamthestorm
06-21-17, 01:54 PM
Im currently about to finish my bachelor's in a year, and I was seriously thinking about getting a master's in social work/ counseling. I wanted to here if there were any people here who worked in those fields and how it worked with adhd. I also wanted to know how you got through your master's program. How did you cope with the stress? I've literally put my blood sweet and tears into my degree and am just going to pull a 3.0 gpa. Also, how verried would you say your weeks and days are? I don't think I could stand working somewhere where everyday is the same. What do you specialize in? I've herd that some agencies that work with children will split weeks with some days being at a specific school that needs help and the others being in an office setting doing one on one hour long sessions. Is there anyone who does anything like that? And how often do you do home visits if at all? And last question, do you this theses job paths are good for ADHDers? Why or why not?

Another option I have been thinking about is going for one of those bachelor's in two years nursing programs. I like the idea of working on my feat, but I'm also worried about the emotional side of it. I am an incredibly nervous person (pretty sure I have avoident personality disorder and/or social anxiety) for some reason I don't seem to have this problem when I'm listening to people, which is why I want to be a counselor/ social worker, but I have worked as a caretaker before and knowing that I may have hurt somebody unintentionally has given me panic attacks in the past. And being ADHD I know I'll likely make a few mistakes. To get to my main point of this paragraph, are there any tips on how to deal with stress? I haven't been a caretaker while on my medication which I am now on, but I'm still worried about all the responsibilities and not being able to cope with it. Also why or why not do u think it is a good fit for ADHDers?

Also sorry if I misspelled anything. I have been told i am a very "creative" speller.

finallyfound10
06-23-17, 12:11 PM
I am a nurse who works with social workers. They seem to be so much happier and less stressed than the nurses. You can be a social worker in the hospital if you like that environment plus many of my patients had social work-type issues that were really their primary problem that only the social worker could help with not necessarily the medical reason that they were hospitalized. The social worker was the primary healer- not the MD or RN. Very rewarding without dealing with all of the messy bodily fluids!!

Stick with social work as nursing can be awful on so many levels. Nursing school is almost always awful and not all a good fit with ADHD as most of nursing isn't, especially bedside/floor nursing. Even with all of the variety in the field, it's a very, very tough field. Since all social workers have get their MSW and that's your plan, I would stick with it.

Good job on a 3.0! I don't know anything about how getting an MSW is but I'm sure it's going to be tough especially with ADHD. I'm working on my BSN online now and it's been easy as it's basically a regurgitation of all of the non-clinical parts of nursing school so it's a big money maker for the schools. I am taking statistics right now and really, really struggling due to ADHD and Dyscalculia (Math's Dyslexia).

A good forum to go on is allnurses as it shows a lot of the realities of nursing from real nurses. Social work may also have a similar forum and you can find out about the masters.

Good luck!!! You can PM me with any other nursing questions if you want.

BouCoupDinkyDau
08-08-17, 07:23 PM
I have no idea how I made it through nursing school. The whole thing was a blur. When someone tells me they want to be a nurse, I want to start playing Taps for them. lol

Nursing is not well suited for ADHD as far as I am concerned. It is a highly dynamic job that requires a lot of muti-tasking. It is both physically and mentally challenging. However, for those very passionate about caring for others, it might be a good fit. Basically, if a person can hit the books (and the job) and can stay hyper-focused, then it might work.

Sadly, I lost this drive about halfway through school. I realized all the years I spent in medicine (pre-RN), I had been taking care of others because I couldn't take care of myself. Once I realized this, my passion for healthcare vaporized.

I still care about my patients and I still take good care of them, but through all these experiences I feel that nursing and ADHD are NOT good friends.