View Full Version : Vyvanse vs Adderall XR for ADD-Inattentive?

andyb1205
06-23-17, 07:46 AM
Long story short, I will be asking my doctor to start me on a long lasting amphetamine class of stimulants this Saturday. I've tried my best to do research on both Vyvanse and Adderall, it seems like success cases can be very individualized. But I was wondering if there are inattentive types on here who are doing great on one of them? And if you have tried both, be sure to share your experience with them!

Also, what is a reasonable starting dose for the two? My doctor isn't usually too busy so I can see him any day as he's new in town. Is it best to trial a dose and titrate every week or two weeks? I am a little hasty as I have a University course coming up in less than 2 weeks but I understand that one must be patient with this of course.

Side note: I've taken Ritalin for a week now and it did nothing, self increased my 10mg x3 dose to 20mg x3 and 30mg, felt nothing except dry mouth, numbness in teeth and slight nausea. I had tried concerta in school before which also did nothing. I've read that most inattentives do better on amphetamines so I look forward to trying Vyvanse or Adderall XR.

Thanks!

andyb1205
06-24-17, 04:49 AM
After a lot of research and reading personal stories of the two, I am leaning towards asking the doctor to start me on a trial of Adderall, preferably XR (and add an IR in later to last the day). I had been thinking about trying Vyvanse first before the stronger Adderall, but stories of it not lasting as long as advertized combined with the hour and a half to kick in turn me off. Wouldn't mind trying it out some other summer, but I need results soon to make most of my day productive, going back to school after pretty much 6 years.

andyb1205
06-24-17, 05:27 AM
Weird, I can't edit my post. Anyhow, I also have a thyroid problem that I'm currently taking medication for and have a way to go before reaching optimal dosage. Hence properly digesting the Vyvanse could be a problem and interfere with its effectiveness right now.

ToneTone
06-24-17, 10:48 AM
I like Adderall XR ... and I am inattentive ....

Had some success with Vyvanse ... but it let me a little more moody ...

Good luck.

Tone

andyb1205
06-24-17, 12:03 PM
I like Adderall XR ... and I am inattentive ....

Had some success with Vyvanse ... but it let me a little more moody ...

Good luck.

Tone

Thanks! What dose do you take and how long does it last you?

mrh235
06-24-17, 03:55 PM
Vyvanse is better imo once you find the right dosage. It may take a while though. Before then it's extremely frustrating and variably effective. Lower dosages had me walking through some "ADHD-twilight zone" where I was halfway between able to focus and not being able to.

andyb1205
06-24-17, 06:33 PM
So the doctor started me on Adderall XR 5mg for a week, will see him then and hopefully increase to 10mg.

sarahsweets
06-25-17, 07:19 AM
Vyvanse did not work well for me and to be fair i have a resentment against it due to its marketing and lack of benefits so I am biased. I have taken adderall xr for years really but am combined so not sure if that helps you or not.

andyb1205
06-25-17, 04:34 PM
Vyvanse did not work well for me and to be fair i have a resentment against it due to its marketing and lack of benefits so I am biased. I have taken adderall xr for years really but am combined so not sure if that helps you or not.

While searching many threads on this forum I have been made aware of your critiques of Vyvanse. 🙂 I might trial it some summer but getting up in the morning has always been very difficult for me. I also don't have extended coverage right now so it would also be too expensive.

I just took my first 5mg Adderall XR a bit ago, let's see how this goes. Do you complement it with a booster for later in the day?

sarahsweets
06-27-17, 04:31 AM
While searching many threads on this forum I have been made aware of your critiques of Vyvanse. 🙂 I might trial it some summer but getting up in the morning has always been very difficult for me. I also don't have extended coverage right now so it would also be too expensive.

I just took my first 5mg Adderall XR a bit ago, let's see how this goes. Do you complement it with a booster for later in the day?

I have absorption issues so my dose has been on the higher side for the last 9 years. I am also not able to process xr medications like a normal person so most xr medications last as long as an ir version would for me. So the xr lasts about 4 hours. I have a very rigid sleep schedule that I train myself to due to severe insomnia so I wake up around 4. I take 20mg xr 3 times a day with 2 5mg boosters in the mix.

andyb1205
06-28-17, 08:52 PM
I have absorption issues so my dose has been on the higher side for the last 9 years. I am also not able to process xr medications like a normal person so most xr medications last as long as an ir version would for me. So the xr lasts about 4 hours. I have a very rigid sleep schedule that I train myself to due to severe insomnia so I wake up around 4. I take 20mg xr 3 times a day with 2 5mg boosters in the mix.

I also have absorption problems. I think it's related to my thyroid which I'm taking medication for. So I self dosed from 5mg to 10mg Adderall XR yesterday, felt the slight dry mouth but that's it mostly. Today I took 15mg, felt dry mouth and slight numbness in teeth, thought it was kicking in, but was probably placebo. I am so demoralized right now.

I don't know if the dose is simply too low, if I am resistant to stimulants, or what. And I won't get to know for a while. This Friday the doctor can up the dose to 10mg, 15mg will be in a week, 20mg would be in 2 weeks. I guess I can stick to taking and self-dosing on my school days next week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). Better than wasting these pills only to get the same as placebo effect lol.

Also in Canada we don't have Adderall IR. There's just the Dexedrine in amphetamine class. Ideally I would've liked to take Adderall XR with Dex boosters.

MissMichiko
06-28-17, 11:51 PM
I took Vyvanse for years and loved it. I was on 70mg because I worked 12 hour shifts. It kept me focused and my productivity rate went back up to how it used to be. I did have less tolerance for dumb people. I may have snapped at a few people but they had it coming.

When my ADD became really bad, my productivity dropped down to 30% but I would be EXHAUSTED. I figured the system was calculating incorrectly. I did find flaws but I was also a problem.

I realized I spent a lot of time being a cheerleader to myself. I would be at work and I would tell myself internally, "Come on Miss Michiko. You can do it. You can do that Nasal pan or pull 2 E-Major carts. "

I spent so much time giving myself pep talks, I tired myself out. I went on Vyvanse and I just did them. No pep talks needed. Same thing with playing tennis.

I would play tennis and I would think to myself, "Miss Michiko run for the ball. Come on run." By the time, I decided to run it was too late.

I'm on Adderal right now because it is cheaper. I don't think it as effective. It's really hard focusing sometimes. Doctor increased my dosage but I try not to take the whole amount because he says it is addictive.

Vyvanse was just better for me. As soon as I get another job and insurance, I'm going back to Vyvanse.

kwalk
06-29-17, 01:02 AM
Vyvanse gave me insomnia and when I got up to 70mg, it just wasn't working. XR didn't work for me and adderall IR was just the right kick. I have been on 5mg 3 times a day for many years now and recently upped to 10mg at a time because I can't get my sandoz brand.

andyb1205
06-29-17, 01:34 AM
I took Vyvanse for years and loved it. I was on 70mg because I worked 12 hour shifts. It kept me focused and my productivity rate went back up to how it used to be. I did have less tolerance for dumb people. I may have snapped at a few people but they had it coming.

When my ADD became really bad, my productivity dropped down to 30% but I would be EXHAUSTED. I figured the system was calculating incorrectly. I did find flaws but I was also a problem.

I realized I spent a lot of time being a cheerleader to myself. I would be at work and I would tell myself internally, "Come on Miss Michiko. You can do it. You can do that Nasal pan or pull 2 E-Major carts. "

I spent so much time giving myself pep talks, I tired myself out. I went on Vyvanse and I just did them. No pep talks needed. Same thing with playing tennis.

I would play tennis and I would think to myself, "Miss Michiko run for the ball. Come on run." By the time, I decided to run it was too late.

I'm on Adderal right now because it is cheaper. I don't think it as effective. It's really hard focusing sometimes. Doctor increased my dosage but I try not to take the whole amount because he says it is addictive.

Vyvanse was just better for me. As soon as I get another job and insurance, I'm going back to Vyvanse.

How long did it take for the Vyvanse to kick in, and how long did it last? Did you need any boosters later in the day?

MissMichiko
06-29-17, 02:10 AM
I would say the medicine would kick in within 30-40 minutes max. It would kick in so quickly that I would usually take it right as I got in my car to leave for work.

That was maybe a 15-20 minute drive. We just had to deal with with the daily meeting at the beginning of the shift and I was ready to work.

There were days that I forgot to take it before leaving. I would take it at work 10 minutes before my shift and I was fine. It kicks in rather quickly.

MissMichiko
06-29-17, 02:19 AM
Sorry for the double post. I'm a new poster so my posts have to be approved first. I forgot to answer the second part.

No boosters needed. It was just the 70 mg.

kjo
06-29-17, 11:48 AM
Go check out the website CorePsych and search vyvanse, there is a lot of good info. You can also go to YouTube and search Dr. Charles Parker, he also does the CorePsych website. I think with Vyvanse it's all about getting the right dosage. Titration and knowledgeable doctors are key!

TangledWebs
06-29-17, 12:15 PM
I have ADHD-Inattentive Type and I prefer Vyvanse. I have been on Adderall XR in the past and experienced anxiety on the medication. I am on Vyvanse 70 mgs, which is the highest dose, according to my doctor.

TangledWebs
06-29-17, 12:17 PM
Lower dosages had me walking through some "ADHD-twilight zone" where I was halfway between able to focus and not being able to.

Yes, I have experienced the same thing on lower dosages! Very frustrating!

andyb1205
06-29-17, 09:07 PM
I appreciate the advise everyone. Like I said, I will have to trial Vyvanse next summer, too expensive right now without insurance and as it requires good metabolism I need to optimize my thyroid medication first.

What scared me the most about Vyvanse, besides the supposedly longer time to kick in, was the strength of the dose. Overall it is not as powerful as Adderall and Dexedrine I've heard and the dose was marketed towards children, hence many needing to go beyond the guidelines' max dose. Some found that it didn't last long enough, hence the longer time for it to kick in combined with not lasting as long as advertised seems like a turn off.

But it looks like for those who do great on it, do quite great with better moods and smoothness than Adderall. As a perfectionist I'd want to eventually trial all of the amphetamines.