View Full Version : Hi everyone, new to all of this!

jinxremoving22
06-25-17, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I'm 27 years old and was just diagnosed with ADHD. From the age of 7, all of my teachers, folks from church, soccer coaches, everyone would tell my parents something was up. If I wasn't day dreaming, I was pacing around and talking excessively. I was that kid who always had to blurt everything out (blurting out the answer to teachers questions or just really inappropriate jokes or comments). My parents said that anytime they were approached about it, they got really defensive. They always attributed these things to my personality and didn't think there was a medical problem.

By some miracle, I somehow managed to get through grad school and find a career I absolutely love. I was always a bit of an underachiever at school (not on purpose), but I have always been intelligent and extremely curious so I stuck with it. I now work with children with behavioral issues (hmmm wonder why lol). However, I've been frequently changing jobs. I would either get fired for making careless mistakes with boring admin work or I would decide to leave over intense arguments and disagreements with coworkers. On top of that, my 7 year relationship has been very unstable (can't believe she hasn't left me yet). I love my significant other more than anything in the world, but she says I can be very obnoxious and impatient. And I rage. It takes very little to set me off. I cannot stand it when people call me lazy or stupid or they accuse me of not caring.

I thought maybe I had depression so I went to see a psychiatrist. Turns out I've had ADHD all along. I started taking Ritalin last Wednesday, and I plan on starting behavioral therapy tomorrow.

I was prescribed with the 10 mg pills. My psychiatrist set a few guidelines about dosage (take 5 mg when you wake up and don't exceed 40mg/day). She said it was up to me to figure out the best schedule.

So it's been a few days and I've pretty much been taking 5 mg every two hours (a total of 20-25 mg a day). The last one I take is usually between 3 and 5 PM.

My ability to plan is through the roof. It's incredible- I can't believe I've been missing out on this all of my life. So easy to set a goal and just stick to it until it's finished.

My new impulse control has made me a totally different person. I am so much more patient and don't mind waiting at all. I don't feel like every driver around me is an idiot. I don't feel like getting out of my seat at the office every 2 minutes. Occasionally, I catch myself biting my nails, but it's so easy to just tell my self to stop and move on. I've been a severe nail biter since I was about 6. I don't even have the urge to bite them or fidget.

I was drinking 6+ cups of coffee every day and using oral tobacco literally 20+ hours a day just to feel at ease (yes, I would sleep with oral tobacco in). I'm down to 1 cup of coffee and oral tobacco use is at about 10 minutes a day! I plan on quitting these completely very soon so that I can benefit from my medication most effectively.

I had very minor jaw clenching on day one. That's gone. If it ever comes back one day I will just chew gum and it's really not a big deal. However, I do get hot and sweaty very easily now. It doesn't help that it's been 90+ degrees this week though. My hands and feet are cold- I know stimulants are vasoconstrictors that's why I am getting off the caffeine and nicotine as fast as I can. I'm having some trouble falling asleep- can't sleep until midnight (1 or 2 hours later than usual). I have a reduced appetite- I've been having to nag at myself to sit down and eat. I feel terrible if I don't eat while on Ritalin.

Here's what I'd like to know-

I haven't really played around with the dose that much. I am not sure if I could be getting a more optimal effect. I am kind of scared to experiment with dosing.

Where should I start- should I try taking 10 mg at once in the morning?

Also, any tips on knowing when you should redose? I feel less productive and scatter about 3-4 hours after a dose, so I take a dose every 2 hours to avoid that. Is this the way to go?

Emre22
06-25-17, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I'm 27 years old and was just diagnosed with ADHD. From the age of 7, all of my teachers, folks from church, soccer coaches, everyone would tell my parents something was up. If I wasn't day dreaming, I was pacing around and talking excessively. I was that kid who always had to blurt everything out (blurting out the answer to teachers questions or just really inappropriate jokes or comments). My parents said that anytime they were approached about it, they got really defensive. They always attributed these things to my personality and didn't think there was a medical problem.

By some miracle, I somehow managed to get through grad school and find a career I absolutely love. I was always a bit of an underachiever at school (not on purpose), but I have always been intelligent and extremely curious so I stuck with it. I now work with children with behavioral issues (hmmm wonder why lol). However, I've been frequently changing jobs. I would either get fired for making careless mistakes with boring admin work or I would decide to leave over intense arguments and disagreements with coworkers. On top of that, my 7 year relationship has been very unstable (can't believe she hasn't left me yet). I love my significant other more than anything in the world, but she says I can be very obnoxious and impatient. And I rage. It takes very little to set me off. I cannot stand it when people call me lazy or stupid or they accuse me of not caring.

I thought maybe I had depression so I went to see a psychiatrist. Turns out I've had ADHD all along. I started taking Ritalin last Wednesday, and I plan on starting behavioral therapy tomorrow.

I was prescribed with the 10 mg pills. My psychiatrist set a few guidelines about dosage (take 5 mg when you wake up and don't exceed 40mg/day). She said it was up to me to figure out the best schedule.

So it's been a few days and I've pretty much been taking 5 mg every two hours (a total of 20-25 mg a day). The last one I take is usually between 3 and 5 PM.

My ability to plan is through the roof. It's incredible- I can't believe I've been missing out on this all of my life. So easy to set a goal and just stick to it until it's finished.

My new impulse control has made me a totally different person. I am so much more patient and don't mind waiting at all. I don't feel like every driver around me is an idiot. I don't feel like getting out of my seat at the office every 2 minutes. Occasionally, I catch myself biting my nails, but it's so easy to just tell my self to stop and move on. I've been a severe nail biter since I was about 6. I don't even have the urge to bite them or fidget.

I was drinking 6+ cups of coffee every day and using oral tobacco literally 20+ hours a day just to feel at ease (yes, I would sleep with oral tobacco in). I'm down to 1 cup of coffee and oral tobacco use is at about 10 minutes a day! I plan on quitting these completely very soon so that I can benefit from my medication most effectively.

I had very minor jaw clenching on day one. That's gone. If it ever comes back one day I will just chew gum and it's really not a big deal. However, I do get hot and sweaty very easily now. It doesn't help that it's been 90+ degrees this week though. My hands and feet are cold- I know stimulants are vasoconstrictors that's why I am getting off the caffeine and nicotine as fast as I can. I'm having some trouble falling asleep- can't sleep until midnight (1 or 2 hours later than usual). I have a reduced appetite- I've been having to nag at myself to sit down and eat. I feel terrible if I don't eat while on Ritalin.

I haven't really played around with the dose that much. I am not sure if I could be getting a more optimal effect. I am kind of scared to experiment with dosing.

Also, any tips on knowing when you should redose? I feel less productive and scatter about 3-4 hours after a dose, so I take a dose every 2 hours to avoid that. Is this the way to go?

I am drinking a lot filter coffee ( about 1liter )

may i ask you what you think that you would benefit more if u dont drink coffee

because i am opposite when i drink coffee i feel like i am multiiplying medicine's efficiency

Btw i am using concerta, same substance just different relase forms

Emre22
06-25-17, 04:25 PM
Hi,

And about dosage

I think you should pass to concerta instead of taking ritalin every 2 hours