View Full Version : Need Help Discussing ADD with Doctor

KB2010
06-28-17, 01:57 AM
Hi,

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for about 2 years now. I have been through therapy and now I am taking antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications. While I was in my therapy sessions I brought up that I thought I may have ADD. My psychologist immediately dismissed it so I never brought it up to her again. After I started going to a psychiatrist to talk about medications I brought up ADD. What do you think he did? He dismissed it immediately. I have been doing a lot of research on women with ADD. I am planning on discussing it with my regular doctor and I am worried that she will dismiss it as well. I am suffering from a lot of these symptoms and I guess I just need some reassurance that what I am experiencing is ADD and anxiety and depression is a result of my ADD.

I'm going to list some of the things that have been going on with me the past two years. Please let me know if this makes any sense and if you have any suggestions on how to discuss this with my doctor.

- I have trouble remembering words when I'm talking to someone . It could be really simple, but no matter how hard I try it just doesn't come to me. This happens so often that I actually worry about it happening more. It's honestly so embarrassing.

- I often have to have people repeat the same sentence to me multiple times until I can fully comprehend what they are saying to me. Sometimes it feels like I'm not even hearing it. It's really bizarre and hard to explain.

- I constantly have racing thoughts. They are very hard to organize and become so overwhelming that sometimes I just can't do anything. Then I get really upset and cry about it. This happens at any time of the day really. I do some coping mechanisms to help with this, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

- I often regret the things that I say to people. They may not even be stupid things, but still kind of obsess about it.

- a lot of the time I am working I get really exhausted by lunchtime and feel like I literally cannot focus on one thing. I stare at my email and immediately get overwhelmed by the amount I have and I don't know where to start and then get overwhelmed and immediately shut down. This clearly, is not good for the field I'm in.

Please help. I don't know what else to do at this point. I'm really nervous about asking my doctor.

sarahsweets
06-28-17, 04:47 AM
If you have only had these symptoms for the last few years its unlikely that its adhd. Adhd symptoms must have been present before the age of 12 and impair your life in 2 or more ways in 6 or more areas of your life. Now I am not a doctor and its possible that you have other symptoms that you havent shared and that were missed. Honestly, its sounds a little like bipolar and I say that because I have bipolar II.

Swissy
06-28-17, 01:51 PM
I feel like it could be ADD. If you had support as a child, you could have had the symptoms but since having help, they may not have affected your life or been noticed. I had always felt like I did when I was dx'd, but never noticed all of my symptoms as a collective problem. Whether or not one believes I can have ADD since I was able to develop coping skills, the medication my doctor prescribed has changed everything for me. Meds also fixed the anxiety and depression that developed as a result of my ADD.

Also, I feel like the stresses I was facing as a working mom with increased work responsibilities may have made my symptoms worse

Johnny Slick
06-28-17, 04:06 PM
If you have only had these symptoms for the last few years its unlikely that its adhd. Adhd symptoms must have been present before the age of 12 and impair your life in 2 or more ways in 6 or more areas of your life. Now I am not a doctor and its possible that you have other symptoms that you havent shared and that were missed. Honestly, its sounds a little like bipolar and I say that because I have bipolar II.On the other hand, think about if you *did* have these symptoms when you were younger. It's harder in adults because by the time we have enough agency of our own to try and figure out these things, we've developed sometimes elaborate coping mechanisms for them. I *feel* like women are pressured to do this, at least for certain varieties of ADHD, to a much greater extent than men are, and this feeling is at least somewhat backed up by literature I've read on the subject. To make matters worse, I think people get used to looking for it in the ways that typically manifest themselves in boys (I should probably add middle class boys because oppositional defiance disorder just looks like you're, like, a criminal in training or something if you're from the working class) and might not even be aware of the signs in adult women.

Of course, you might also have BPD comorbid with ADHD too. Or you might have none of those and have something else altogether. Did your doctors tell you why they dismissed the ADHD out of hand? The racing thoughts and the blurting do by themselves sound ADHDish (for that matter, the whole feeling of "guhhh, I just got myself into my job, now lunch came and I am completely out of it" feeling), but then, like sarahsweets said it could be a lot of other things too.

ToneTone
06-28-17, 11:39 PM
Print out this post and share it with a doctor.

I'd say get on this immediately. Start with a family doctor ... because there could be something going on beyond the brain.

There are other conditions besides ADHD and depression that can cause loss of focus ... My mother had a thyroid disorder that totally messed with her memory ... I have friends who had iron deficiencies (body had problems taking in iron) and they were tired all the time ... not depressed ... but tired and lackluster.

Low electrolytes can be a problem ...

It could be depression ... or a serious anxiety problem ...

So get to a doctor right away and say you're worried about your inability to focus ... and start there. Present the info you have presented here ... Literally just print out the post and share it ...

It is a common misunderstanding that we have to come to a doctor and be completely coherent and knowledgeable ... No we don't.

Just go and drop this information on the doctor ...The doctor's job is to make sense of it ...

Good luck. Get on this quickly.

Tone

Pilgrim
06-29-17, 08:07 AM
Could be anxiety also. As said above what were you like when younger ?

KB2010
06-29-17, 10:53 PM
Hi all!

Thank you all so much for replying. :)

sarahsweets I have had these symptoms my entire life, well as long as I can remember. I have had anxiety since around middle school so, about 13 years. The depression started sometime in highschool, a little harder to pinpoint. My parents were never believers in "Mental Health" so at a young age, anything I went through was.. just a phase or something to get over.

Pilgrim & Swissy I have always had concentration problems. I had decent grades in highschool and college but I worked my *** off to get them. I would spend 8 hours a day in the library reading the same paragraph over and over again just to get a portion of it in my head. My friends used to get really annoyed with me because I would be in a full conversation with them and then all of a sudden I would go blank and look away and literally not even hear them anymore. Then I would say "wait, what were we talking about?" That still happens to this day.

Johnny Slick my boyfriend has adhd and has told me the same thing. He has mentioned to me that I should print some of the articles out that he has read and take them with me to the doctor.

ToneTone I have had my iron checked a twice in the past couple years for various medical reasons, but both times it came back fine. I have never been checked for a thyroid issue though. And that's a good idea to just print this out and give it to my doctor. Thank you!