View Full Version : I'm asking my doc to switch from Vyvanse to Generic Dex !!

AcctUhd456
06-29-17, 11:27 AM
I've been on Vyvanse the last 5 months(and took it for 3 months in late 2015) and I stumbled about a problem that someone shared on reddit in comparison to dexedrine. I take a 10mg dex tablet in the afternoon/evening if I need it.

Here is the link: https://www.printfriendly.com/print?source=homepage&url_s=uGGCF_%7E_PdN_%7E_PcS_%7E_PcSJJJmErqqvGmpBz_ %7E_PcSE_%7E_PcSNQUQ_%7E_PcSpBzzrAGF_%7E_PcScJBABM _%7E_PcSzL_rKCrEvrApr_BA_ILInAFr_IF_qrKrqEvAr_%7E_ PcS (https://www.reddit.com/r/ADHD/comments/2wonoz/my_experience_on_vyvanse_vs_dexedrine/)

He talks about how vyvanse absorption makes him too perseverent and had some hyperfocus/appetite/irritability problems and a general need to take a break from vyvanse despite comparing equivalent strengths of vyvanse vs dexedrine.

I have noticed this as well that on Vvyanse but didn't know how to express it.For example Vvyanse makes me space out or analyze to a T of what I'm suppose to be doing next although its definitely easier than when not on meds. Dexedrine doesn't do that I switch whenever I have to.Vvyanse also makes me want to take breaks from it while Dexedrine doesn't make me want to do that(unlike adderall IR also where it gave me this ocd to want to be superman and do everything everyday till exhaustion).But because I've been taking Vyvanse everyday without 1 or 2 days off per week since its also helping appetite suppression vs off (I'm on a weight loss regimen) I've been getting irritable at everyone around or rage in some weird low key covert way without being actually loud about it. I never get irritable on Dexedrine and I'm always actually in a pretty good mood where I see myself as high functioning when on it. Does anyone else have interpersonal issues when not taking a break once or twice a week from stimulant medications or Vyvanse? Is there a difference in meds that you know you need to take a break on or not?Oh and of course taking everyday will create extra anxiety at the end of the week somewhat.

I'm thinking of bring up to my pdoc Wednesday that instead of taking vyvanse 40mg plus generic dex 10mg to try generic dex 3 times a day as that would be 12 hours or so of coverage for sure.

The funny thing is my general doc told me my omega 3 is very low and so now I'm taking fish oil everyday and will re-check it in September-October. One of the symptoms of low omega 3 is poor memory,attention deficit hyperactivity. I'm now wondering if I actually do have ADHD because I'm going to bring this up to pdoc as well.If fish oils will change me and my focus issues than I will surely get off ADHD meds. However in the meantime till September or October I'm definitely staying on.

Anyways I need to go to the gym and finish my workout
:)

Btw what

TangledWebs
06-29-17, 12:31 PM
I have interpersonal issues when I do not take my Vyvanse, so I am the complete opposite.

AcctUhd456
06-30-17, 08:22 AM
I do too however I seem to get anxious/irritable easily if I don't take at least a day off per week.

AcctUhd456
06-30-17, 08:22 AM
I have interpersonal issues when I do not take my Vyvanse, so I am the complete opposite.

You're telling me you don't get irritable/anxious either? Lol these are stimulant so I would assume its like that for everyone.

sarahsweets
06-30-17, 08:37 AM
Usually when this happens its because the dose isnt right.

kjo
06-30-17, 12:34 PM
I do too however I seem to get anxious/irritable easily if I don't take at least a day off per week.
Adderall did this too me after it wore off for the day! I was very impatient, grouchy, irritable, no energy and no interest in things I typically enjoy. I was just switched to Vyvanse, today is day 5 and so far my mood has been great, I feel like myself again and still have the focus and attention I need throughout the day! I am really hoping it's not just the honeymoon phase and all that doesn't come back after my body adjusts! Fingers crossed!
Did all this side effects show up immediately when you started taking it or come on gradually?

AcctUhd456
07-02-17, 03:06 PM
What I mean by getting irritable/anxious is when no days are taken off the medication not the rebound effect from the medication when its wearing off.My vyvanse side effects showed up immediately.

AcctUhd456
07-02-17, 03:07 PM
Usually when what happens?

sarahsweets
07-04-17, 07:09 AM
Usually when what happens?

The feeling and side effects you mention can be related to dose sometimes, as in too high or too low of a dose.

AcctUhd456
07-04-17, 11:27 AM
Yea I know that part lol. I got switched from vyvanse 40mg plus dex 10mg as needed to now 10mg dex 3 x daily. The temporary doc(his wife since he was busy with lots of patients) wanted to prescribe for only twice since its(maybe all ir meds) knows to easily be abused but I said that 2 of them would only be enough for 8 hours coverage and 3 would be 12 hours as vyvanse plus 10mg dex was 12+hours.

She also gave me a brochure for Dynavel XR liquid that I could try but I later researched it and it contains l-amphetamine just like Evekeo and Adzeny's or whatever its called. Why are they making new medications that are either the same as Adderall or that contain 50% l-amphetamine? Like whats the point of that lol? I'm not taking meds that contain l-amphetamine/l-methylphenidate as I hate the physical/mental side effects it causes me. I'd get on Desoxyn before I ever have to try those type of meds ever again.

Anyways today is my first day of 10mg x 3 a day. Someone suggested in order to avoid hard rebound of ir meds to escalate the doses for example take 15mg in morning than 4 hours later take 10mg than last dose 5mg,in which I took the first 15mg about an hour ago and I think its too much since I feel "sluggish/slow"to go exercise and my thinking is VERY clear than compared to 10mg(hyper-focus?)

Tomorrow morning I will start with 10mg in morning than 5-10mg doses the rest of day.

sarahsweets
07-04-17, 11:48 AM
Yea I know that part lol. I got switched from vyvanse 40mg plus dex 10mg as needed to now 10mg dex 3 x daily. The temporary doc(his wife since he was busy with lots of patients) wanted to prescribe for only twice since its(maybe all ir meds) knows to easily be abused but I said that 2 of them would only be enough for 8 hours coverage and 3 would be 12 hours as vyvanse plus 10mg dex was 12+hours.

She also gave me a brochure for Dynavel XR liquid that I could try but I later researched it and it contains l-amphetamine just like Evekeo and Adzeny's or whatever its called. Why are they making new medications that are either the same as Adderall or that contain 50% l-amphetamine? Like whats the point of that lol?
Its about the money.
I'm not taking meds that contain l-amphetamine/l-methylphenidate as I hate the physical/mental side effects it causes me. I'd get on Desoxyn before I ever have to try those type of meds ever again.
Dexedrine, vyvanse and desoxy all contain amphetamine.
EDIT: I see now you meant levoamphetamine.

Anyways today is my first day of 10mg x 3 a day. Someone suggested in order to avoid hard rebound of ir meds to escalate the doses for example take 15mg in morning than 4 hours later take 10mg than last dose 5mg,in which I took the first 15mg about an hour ago and I think its too much since I feel "sluggish/slow"to go exercise and my thinking is VERY clear than compared to 10mg(hyper-focus?)

That was my downfall with dex. I would get really sleepy the first hour.

mcdisney
07-08-17, 06:58 PM
The funny thing is my general doc told me my omega 3 is very low and so now I'm taking fish oil everyday and will re-check it in September-October. One of the symptoms of low omega 3 is poor memory,attention deficit hyperactivity. I'm now wondering if I actually do have ADHD because I'm going to bring this up to pdoc as well.If fish oils will change me and my focus issues than I will surely get off ADHD meds.

I'm fairly new to Vyvanse and my ADHD diagnosis, but I've been a writer and editor in the supplement field for several years (which means I've read what all the smarty pants say about supps and can repeat it LOL). Fish oil and whey protein are the only supps I use on a regular basis.

LOOK AT THE RIGHT NUMBERS! If your gelcaps don't contain enough EPA and DHA (the two fatty acids you actually want), you're just giving yourself fish breath for nothing. Ignore the number of milligrams on the front of the bottle; that's just how much fish oil you're chugging. On the back, make sure the combined amount of EPA and DHA total at least 500 mg (minimum RDA for healthy adults). Health professionals often recommend that individuals with health concerns (mood disorders, heart health, chronic dry eyes, etc.) take more. A really good supp may have as much as 1000 mg EPA+DHA. If the bottle doesn't list the EPA and DHA in the ingredients, that's usually because they don't want you to know the levels are really low. Ask your health professional for recommendations based on your own health history.

To see benefits, take omega-3 supps daily on a regular basis; they're not a "take it when I feel crummy to feel better right away" supp.

I've noticed improvement to my mental clarity (ability to finish a sentence or focus on a document) when taking fish oil daily, but not as much as with the Vyvanse. Fish oil also helps my anxiety and depression. It does NOT cure my mood disorders--I still take Lexapro--but I'm less prone to general crabbiness and anxiety.

Omega 3s are well-researched. The claims made about their effects on mood and mental clarity are fairly strong, but not yet so definitive that the FDA lets companies list these benefits out of hand. The ability of omega 3s to support heart health, however, are pretty much iron-clad. With no downside and definite benefits, I see omega-3 supps as a no-brainer. Maybe they help my mood and ADHD, maybe not, but they're definitely supporting my heart.

FYI, fish oil and krill oil gels are the pills most people take as an omega-3 supplement. There are other options, or you can eat a lot of fatty fish like salmon and tuna. If you're vegan or vegetarian, there are also versions made from algae/algal oil.

I am not a physician. More importantly, I am not YOUR physician. My information is based on personal experience, published research, and advice from the health-care experts I work with. Consult your own physician before taking a new supplement, even ones considered "natural.")

AcctUhd456
07-10-17, 10:54 PM
I'm fairly new to Vyvanse and my ADHD diagnosis, but I've been a writer and editor in the supplement field for several years (which means I've read what all the smarty pants say about supps and can repeat it LOL). Fish oil and whey protein are the only supps I use on a regular basis.

LOOK AT THE RIGHT NUMBERS! If your gelcaps don't contain enough EPA and DHA (the two fatty acids you actually want), you're just giving yourself fish breath for nothing. Ignore the number of milligrams on the front of the bottle; that's just how much fish oil you're chugging. On the back, make sure the combined amount of EPA and DHA total at least 500 mg (minimum RDA for healthy adults). Health professionals often recommend that individuals with health concerns (mood disorders, heart health, chronic dry eyes, etc.) take more. A really good supp may have as much as 1000 mg EPA+DHA. If the bottle doesn't list the EPA and DHA in the ingredients, that's usually because they don't want you to know the levels are really low. Ask your health professional for recommendations based on your own health history.

To see benefits, take omega-3 supps daily on a regular basis; they're not a "take it when I feel crummy to feel better right away" supp.

I've noticed improvement to my mental clarity (ability to finish a sentence or focus on a document) when taking fish oil daily, but not as much as with the Vyvanse. Fish oil also helps my anxiety and depression. It does NOT cure my mood disorders--I still take Lexapro--but I'm less prone to general crabbiness and anxiety.

Omega 3s are well-researched. The claims made about their effects on mood and mental clarity are fairly strong, but not yet so definitive that the FDA lets companies list these benefits out of hand. The ability of omega 3s to support heart health, however, are pretty much iron-clad. With no downside and definite benefits, I see omega-3 supps as a no-brainer. Maybe they help my mood and ADHD, maybe not, but they're definitely supporting my heart.

FYI, fish oil and krill oil gels are the pills most people take as an omega-3 supplement. There are other options, or you can eat a lot of fatty fish like salmon and tuna. If you're vegan or vegetarian, there are also versions made from algae/algal oil.

I am not a physician. More importantly, I am not YOUR physician. My information is based on personal experience, published research, and advice from the health-care experts I work with. Consult your own physician before taking a new supplement, even ones considered "natural.")
Its funny that you mention the EPA/DHA totals on the bottle and the requirements needed because that was the first thing I complained about after receiving this particular brand from Amazon.I'm supposed to be taking at least 1-2 grams EPA/DHA as recommended on doctor lab sheet report to get levels back to normal.

Unfortunately for me the brand I ordered and received from amazon only has 300mg EPA/DHA per softgel so I've been having to take 2 at breakfast 2 at dinner for a total of 1,200mg EPA/DHA and the whole thing is 4 grams of fish oil such a big waste plus the fishy breath and slight stomach ache after ingesting.I'm ordering a brand that has 1,200mg EPA/DHA per 2 caps after this one finishes.

Was their a length of time that you to notice the changes after starting the fish oil regimen?

I use to have severe anxiety/depression and took anti-depressants/benzos somewhat in 2011-2012.I never went more than 2 months on a med as side effects made me feel crazy and disconnected. I still suffer from a little anxiety however I think I'm almost back to normal. The only thing that fixed my depression was replacing some bad habits with good ones and changing my mindset as well as having faith.

Let me know if that helps you out!

AcctUhd456
07-10-17, 10:55 PM
Lol it seems you get sleepy from every stimulant med except Adderall XR