View Full Version : New to ADD Diagnosis But No Meds Are Working--Anyone Have a Solution

kari0301
06-29-17, 03:30 PM
Hello!

I went to a psych for an evaluation and did the computerized test and it was determined that I have inattentive ADD. Looking back, I know I've had this problem my whole life but have gone undiagnosed. I have pretty much never been able to "hear" what's going on outside of the thoughts going on in my head. In school, on conference calls, during conversations, while watching TV, etc., it's like I'm off in lala land thinking of all kinds of things and I literally can't focus on people talking. Not sure how I even made it through school OK! I have anxiety as well and am being treated for that with Lexapro, so the doctor eventually thought maybe that was my problem and if we treated that, it would help with the inattentiveness. Well, it hasn't. I'm on 15mg of Lexapro. I've also tried Vyvanse 50 mg, an Adderall extended release, and am now currently attempting Adderall (well, generic Bupropion) ER XL 150mg. That's not doing anything either! I feel no side effects at all, almost like I haven't taken anything (with any of the drugs mentioned). What gives? Do you think I need super high doses instead? Or is there some other drug that might do the trick? Or am I just doomed? Has anyone else gone through this? I've also tried Wellbutrin, but I think that almost made my anxiety worse.

Thanks for any advice!!

Lunacie
06-29-17, 06:07 PM
Vyvanse and Adderall have the same basic medication, amphetamine.

Bupripion/Wellbutrin is not a stimulant, it's not Adderall. It's an anti-depressant.
sometimes used off-label to treat adhd.

If none of those have helped, you may want to ask about Ritalin or Concerta.
The basic medication in those is methylphenidate.

You could also try Omega 3 fish oil supplements. Some of us find them helpful.

Added thought ... it can also take a bit of tinkering to find the dosage that works
best for you.

kari0301
06-29-17, 09:04 PM
Vyvanse and Adderall have the same basic medication, amphetamine.

Bupripion/Wellbutrin is not a stimulant, it's not Adderall. It's an anti-depressant.
sometimes used off-label to treat adhd.

If none of those have helped, you may want to ask about Ritalin or Concerta.
The basic medication in those is methylphenidate.

You could also try Omega 3 fish oil supplements. Some of us find them helpful.

Added thought ... it can also take a bit of tinkering to find the dosage that works
best for you.

Thank you! I'll ask about those. Do you know of an Omega 3 that is best? I took a lot while I was pregnant and didn't notice any difference in attention while doing so then. Is Concerta fast acting or is that one that takes weeks to kick in?

sarahsweets
06-30-17, 08:55 AM
My feelings on vyvanse arent good so Ill skip that. Adederall is tricky. It can be the dose, the frequency or the type and brand. For me it was a matter of absorption issues and frequency. Ir medications do not last for me. Adderall xr is supposed to last about 6-8 hours but for me it lasts 4. I have legit medical absorption issues so I am not claiming that part as a layman. I take adderall xr 5 times a day. I take 20mg xr at 4-8-12 and adderall xr 5mg at 2 and 4. The multiple doses and times is what has made it work the best for me.

Emre22
06-30-17, 09:39 AM
Wellbutrin/zyban can't tread adhd alone , it is just good combination with stimulant pills. ( I was using it before , but stablon seems working better)

Have you ever consired about trying something different with your doctor? there are many options in USA like dexedrine desoxyn etc

I have never used something else than methylphenidate(concerta). It is working good on me(using 56mg currently sometimes i take extra 10mg ritalin in a day)
I use stablon(tianeptine) for depression

nanajoy
06-30-17, 10:57 AM
I know it is hard, but try to be patient with gradual dosing of adderall until one clicks. Good luck.

Lunacie
06-30-17, 01:21 PM
Thank you! I'll ask about those. Do you know of an Omega 3 that is best? I took a lot while I was pregnant and didn't notice any difference in attention while doing so then. Is Concerta fast acting or is that one that takes weeks to kick in?

Apparently Omega 3 isn't what you need. I take whatever is on sale, and for
awhile I was buying it at the dollar store, worked fine.

All stimulant meds work right away. It's the non-stimulant meds like Bupropion
and Strattera that take a few weeks.

But if the dose is too low, it won't have much effect. Like other posters say,
be patient and keep titrating it upwards. Hopefully at some level it will help.

If you go past that point and get side effects you don't want, go back down a
level and try that again for awhile.

sarahsweets
07-02-17, 06:58 AM
The longer acting meds can sometimes begin working slowly and steadily before you notice as many adhd symptoms controlled.

kari0301
07-06-17, 02:27 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the responses! Yeah, I feel like I just need some crazy high dosage! It's annoying to sit on the same low dose for so long. I wish she would just up it higher knowing that they aren't working. I'm still waiting to hear back from the doctor.

Lunacie
07-06-17, 04:00 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the responses! Yeah, I feel like I just need some crazy high dosage! It's annoying to sit on the same low dose for so long. I wish she would just up it higher knowing that they aren't working. I'm still waiting to hear back from the doctor.

Again the Buproprion you're taking now is not Adderall, it is not a stimulant at
all.

When you did try Adderall XR, what was the dose ... how long were you taking it ... was it a generic ... and why did you stop?