View Full Version : Reading comprehension and ADHD

ilovetacos
06-29-17, 07:17 PM
Does anybody else struggle with reading comprehension? I am currently trying to get my driving permit and I keep failing the test. I don't understand most of the material in the book. I don't know why but I have always struggled. In fact that is how I was diagnosed. I went to a charter school for kids with adhd and I always got accommodations like open book testing. I have failed three times already. I just want to learn how to drive and try to become independent. I can't afford medication either.

Barbrady1
07-01-17, 06:35 AM
Even though my formal diagnosis is only autism at the moment, I have always had poor reading comprehension.

I think I am a passive reader, so I tend to forget what I have read quite easily.

userguide
07-02-17, 05:40 AM
Yes, reading comprehension is a challenge for ADHDers.

I usually need to read something twice to fully comprehend and remember, otherwise I tend to skip and miss parts of the sentences. Maybe my eyes are faster than my brain. Or the other way around.

agentducky
07-02-17, 11:40 AM
I find it impossible to read things i don't like/care about. When I was in school if I was assigned a book and I found it boring, even if I actually tried to read It I couldn't remember anything after or understand what was going on. I technically read Siddhartha, but I had no clue what was happening in the book. On the other hand the same year I was assigned to read The Kite Runner, I liked that book and had an easy time reading it, I still remember the alot of the plot today. Textbooks were/are even worse. As an adult I don't know how to drive, I'd kinda like to learn but I doubt I would be able to remember/learn the information to pass the tests.

noideaforaname
07-02-17, 03:22 PM
I did not have to read much to get my driving licence. The theoretical driving test was full of pictures. Maybe that is because I have an European driving licence. It may be different in the United States.

My problem was not the theoretical part but the practical driving test. I was not able to pass ist until the third try. It is still a long way from passing the driving tests to being able to drive a car in everyday life. I never managed the latter and only rarely used a car.

In my city it is no problem to live without a car. Mostly I go by bike and sometimes I take the tram. My sister lived in the United States for some years and told me you can not do well there without a car. In Europe it is quite normal not to use a car compared to the United States.

My sister told me it was much easier to get the driving licence in America than it was in Europe and she said in America there was much less traffic.

mrh235
07-03-17, 10:56 PM
Does anybody else struggle with reading comprehension? I am currently trying to get my driving permit and I keep failing the test. I don't understand most of the material in the book. I don't know why but I have always struggled. In fact that is how I was diagnosed. I went to a charter school for kids with adhd and I always got accommodations like open book testing. I have failed three times already. I just want to learn how to drive and try to become independent. I can't afford medication either.

This was exactly what I had an issue with before I got my ADHD under control. I failed the written test like 15+ times and the DMV lady literally started screaming at me.

When you read does it feel like your mind jumps from word to word randomly and you're not actually able to remember anything? definitely part of adhd. Meds basically resolved this issue instantly for me.

There are fee assistance programs for the medicines, treatment for my adhd saved my life, and if you can get assistance paying for it like "shire cares" i strongly suggest looking into it.

As a side note, untreated ADHD is a major safety hazard for driving, when I tried driving before I had my adhd treated and after my meds wore off I got into 6 accidents because i couldn't focus at all.

sarahsweets
07-04-17, 07:11 AM

Does your state offer any accommodations for people with learning disabilities? Like have you considered getting evaluated for one?

someothertime
07-05-17, 07:56 AM
so to be clear..... i think there are heaps of reasons that might influence reading.........

i'm pretty sure a pro would be worth the visit..... for me...... the "standard" adhd issues of focus and metacognition ( working memory ) play varying levels of havoc....

more fundamental cognition deficits can be from so many things!

Amphitrite
07-14-17, 06:31 AM
I have a great problem with reading comprehension too. The only way for me to retain "boring" information is to copy the text word by word, multiple times. I had great problems in school due to this. I would stay up very late every night, copying my lessons, eating instant coffee with a spoonful out of the jar in the hopes that it would keep me awake but it didn't. I would still fall asleep and only occasionally wake up due to my heart racing. I started losing my mind due to the severe sleep deprivation and eventually stopped giving a damn. My grades plummeting, and later on I dropped out of uni, twice, and never graduated. Being diagnosed with ADHD makes me feel less of a failure.