View Full Version : Anyone have ADHD and also fatty liver?

reboxetine89
06-29-17, 09:00 PM
Hi all, I have mild fatty liver -- not a full blown disease, but elevated enzymes, etc

Does most ADHD meds cause an increase in liver enzymes or pose a problem to people with fatty livers?

Is there a 'most friendly' ADHD drug out there for the liver? Let me know so I can talk to my doctor about it and investigate it!(currently on Strattera, 80 mg)

Unmanagable
06-29-17, 09:22 PM
I don't know about the med questions, sorry, but am curious as to what your consumption lifestyle is like? How much is it contributing to the issue?

Many doctors don't have that much knowledge regarding nutrition, so it's never really touched upon with any significant detail, and unfortunately, often with little accuracy, especially considering the brief amount of time they spend learning about it in medical school.

I'd look deeply into that as my first line of defense in ruling things out and making necessary changes, in addition to potential med side effects. My apologies if you already have.

I no longer take meds due to them never really jiving with my biology, and ask as someone who had an er trip with gall bladder issues (among MANY others), luckily not requiring surgery, but it prompted immediate and very drastic changes in what I consume (whole food plant-based vegan) and helped reverse many things I'd been told to just get used to with age.

I didn't necessarily cure anything, nor did I expect to, but I most definitely learned my fork and drinking glass are my best first lines of defense in not aggravating and compounding all the issues that make up the being known as me.

I still suffer from long term damage of misguided choices, but know better now how not to keep creating even more misery for myself, most days. Best wishes in sorting it out and finding what most healthily, effectively, and sustainably helps you.

reboxetine89
06-29-17, 10:01 PM
I don't know about the med questions, sorry, but am curious as to what your consumption lifestyle is like? How much is it contributing to the issue?

Many doctors don't have that much knowledge regarding nutrition, so it's never really touched upon with any significant detail, and unfortunately, often with little accuracy, especially considering the brief amount of time they spend learning about it in medical school.

I'd look deeply into that as my first line of defense in ruling things out and making necessary changes, in addition to potential med side effects. My apologies if you already have.

I no longer take meds due to them never really jiving with my biology, and ask as someone who had an er trip with gall bladder issues (among MANY others), luckily not requiring surgery, but it prompted immediate and very drastic changes in what I consume (whole food plant-based vegan) and helped reverse many things I'd been told to just get used to with age.

I didn't necessarily cure anything, nor did I expect to, but I most definitely learned my fork and drinking glass are my best first lines of defense in not aggravating and compounding all the issues that make up the being known as me.

I still suffer from long term damage of misguided choices, but know better now how not to keep creating even more misery for myself, most days. Best wishes in sorting it out and finding what most healthily, effectively, and sustainably helps you.

I do need some kind of diet plan to help, no doubt. I've considered low carb, but I have a very hard time dieting(really). I think it's an ADHD thing that makes dieting difficult

Well, what I will say is this, if I get a proper ADHD med, I believe it should boost my ability to diet. I do know that fatty liver is caused by excess weight, and i have a good 40-50lbs to lose..... HOwever, I'm not sure I'm quite up to the challenge yet. I feel like I need to get ADHD managed IN ORDER to lose weight? Dunno if that makes sense!

Unmanagable
06-29-17, 10:58 PM
It makes perfect sense. Meanwhile, most everything feels like trying to herd cats, or perhaps trying to free self from quicksand, depending on the day.

sarahsweets
06-30-17, 08:47 AM
When I was very overweight I had mild fatty liver disease. I had weight loss surgery in '09 and lost all the weight and have kept it off and did not have it anymore. I am an alcoholic and only sober for about 4 years. Prior to that between 2010-2012 were the worst years of my drinking and had major fatty liver disease that I found out about when I was like a month sober. It has since resolved itself and no more liver issues. I have been on adderall for 12 ish years and the medication has had nothing to do with that. It all came down to diet for me.