View Full Version : About time that SCT get pinned to the top of the board?

scuro
07-02-17, 01:05 AM
It's been a while...but there is new information on this disorder

-It will not be a new disorder in the DSM5 mainly because of a backlash to too many new disorders having been created and a hesitancy to "create" new ones
-It is very distinct from ADHD, they share very few traits in common
-30-50% of all ADHD is SCT, so ADHD which was thought to be 7-8 percent of the population, is really 4% of both ADHD and SCT
-It's more impairing than ADHD at work and just as impairing at school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKavCm3qHBE

sarahsweets
07-02-17, 03:13 PM
Is this new research? I thought the dsm was already out?

Batman55
08-04-17, 12:13 AM
Any research on the overlap and/or similarity between SCT and autistic spectrum disorder?

Anything to suggest a language processing issue with SCT (affecting either auditory learning, or comprehension itself)?

Proneness to frequent, simple errors is allegedly not a hallmark of ADHD itself; however as I understand SCT, it is one of the most distinctive symptoms, one of the ways to differentiate SCT from ADHD.

But it also looks to me, there is a very similar thing going on with autistic spectrum disorders. Your stereotypical autistic person literally *cannot* be distracted. There is basically *one* tunnel of attention possessed by your generalized autistic person; any kind of distraction (including background noise, someone talking to them, etc.) could cause them to stop and need to re-start again, in order to avoid catastrophic simple error. They can only do one thing at a time, if that; in order to maintain this "one thing at a time", they cannot tolerate even the simplest distraction.

It looks a lot like SCT seems to look, and vice-versa.

This is leading up to my ultimate question. Could SCT actually be a kind of autistic spectrum disorder?

sarahsweets
08-04-17, 06:22 AM
I dont know if its fair to say that SCT is more impairing than adhd.

daveddd
08-04-17, 07:02 AM
While I'm sure there have been or is disorders that encompass sct. They mine as well

Will giving it its own name help in treatment?

I personally don't buy in to the massive amount of supposedly separate and distinct disorders if they think it will help treatments do it. Just keep it mind it hasn't really helped in other areas of mental illness. Or if people need it for validation purposes I guess that's fine too

Barkley hasn't done any meaningful research on ADHD in about 5 years cause of sct so he's the guy to go to I'd say

daveddd
08-04-17, 07:07 AM
I dont know if its fair to say that SCT is more impairing than adhd.

Well he just said at work. Which who knows. All the best workers I know have hyperactive ADHD

But I think we get them in all other areas. Police. Drugs. Emotions.

mildadhd
08-04-17, 02:06 PM
Questions

Is Dr.Barkley saying..

..ADD is SCT?

..ADHD is a separate condition?

..7% of the population has ADD (SCT)?

..7% of the population has ADHD?

What about the % of combined AD(H)D population?

M

Lunacie
08-04-17, 02:14 PM
Questions

Is Dr.Barkley saying..

..ADD is SCT?

..ADHD is a separate condition?

..7% of the population has ADD (SCT)?

..7% of the population has ADHD?

What about the % of combined AD(H)D population?

M

In the video (which I'm about halfway through) Dr. Barkley says that SCT is
quite separate and different from ADHD.

If he discusses percentages of population, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

mildadhd
08-04-17, 02:29 PM
At about 0:10 seconds into the video, the title is..

Russell Barkley
The second Attention Disorder: Slugish Cognitive Tempo (or ADD) vs. ADHD

M

Lunacie
08-04-17, 02:37 PM
At about 0:10 seconds into the video, the title is..

M

I am hoping that he will explain all six of those different kinds of attention, not
just the one that signals adhd and the one that signals SCT.