View Full Version : How to prepare for possible future employment

agentducky
07-02-17, 11:48 AM
All of my so far short adult life I have been on disability. End of this year or next year the ss office will review my case, I might continue getting disability or I might have to join a work program/ or whatever it is they offer and get a job. I've never had a job, and I'm scared of getting fired for messing up/ or just being plain terrible at it. Is there anyone here who has had ss and was told to try to work? What happened? How can I prepare myself for having a job and doing well?

Abshire
07-23-17, 01:46 PM
Do you have any American Job Centers near you? I'm underemployed and seeking full-time work. I had been getting interviews, but never any job offers. Much of the problem was my intense anxiety and not knowing how to answer the questions. Somebody recommended that I get help from a Job Center. I attended an Interview Skills workshop and it really, really helped. I also benefited from a time management class. Both workshops gave out helpful information packets to take home for review. My last interview, which was a few days ago, was the best one I've ever had. Even if I don't get this particular job, I feel a lot more prepared for any future interviews.

Another thing that might help is if you can find a volunteer position that you enjoy. You can put that on a resume or cover letter as experience.